Silly Season Limerick Competition

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Silly Season Limerick Competition

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Rum is the greatest parody account ever known on this board. That could be a good idea for a new thread? Best fake accounts held by a long term poster. I've only ever had one. Sometimes it feels like there are only about 5 people on this board each with multiple accounts. You read the same crap every day.
Nah, not quite Dave, I know about 15-20 posters who admit to having posted here............including HWM, sadly Mike is genuine. :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually now I'm thinking of names 20 -30 is more like it, counted a quick 20 nearly all of whom are regulars and I must have missed some, not to mention those who have not yet confessed to me.

I've even had a pint or several with Alistair Scott from the agency. :shock: :shock: :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Dave wrote:Rum is the greatest parody account ever known on this board. That could be a good idea for a new thread? Best fake accounts held by a long term poster. I've only ever had one. Sometimes it feels like there are only about 5 people on this board each with multiple accounts. You read the same crap every day.
Nah, not quite Dave, I know about 15-20 posters who admit to having posted here............including HWM, sadly Mike is genuine. Image Image Image Actually now I'm thinking of names 20 -30 is more like it, counted a quick 20 nearly all of whom are regulars and I must have missed some, not to mention those who have not yet confessed to me.

I've even had a pint or several with Alistair Scott from the agency. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Have to say I don't know anyone on here. I recognise pip when I see him because he has a high profile social media presence.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
ColinM wrote:If I could find my iPod touch I'd be tempted to create a parody account. Last seen in 2007.
I think I noticed you shared a birthday with two other "Coliny" accounts in the last few days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pure coincidence. I've never set a birthday on here, and it certainly wasnt in the last few days. Maybe the board assumes an official birthday for all Colins
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Where'd Hugh Farrelly go?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

There are even TWO Cap'n Grumpys :cheers:

And they are identical >drinks

The first was created in 2005 but was retired in 2008 after some hackers got into Fermain's server (or summat silly like that), but when I couldn't be revived after they fixed it (because apostrophes in user names were no longer permitted .....or summat silly like that), Fermain made me my very own special username exactly like my previous one - I'm special, me! :D

I may also have used one or two* other names over the past dozen years >EW

* For 1 or 2, read 10-20 ..... but I can't remember most of them, and certainly not the login details. I must have had a powerful number of email addresses over the years - most of them created for one-off use just to register on this forum. I'm sad, me!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I have just had a look at the membership (starting in "date joined" order) and in the first 5 pages there are at least 40 individual unique members that are known to me personally. also a couple of duplicate accounts under other usernames. I stopped counting after the first 5 pages.

Most of these are no longer posting, and sadly some have even passed away - cables and Browner being the most obvious in the first few pages. :(

Speaking of which, I will be making an annual post tomorrow, raising a glass of Famous Grouse obtained specially for the occasion, and drinking a dram to a certain person's memory. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I have just had a look at the membership (starting in "date joined" order) and in the first 5 pages there are at least 40 individual unique members that are known to me personally. also a couple of duplicate accounts under other usernames. I stopped counting after the first 5 pages.

Most of these are no longer posting, and sadly some have even passed away - cables and Browner being the most obvious in the first few pages. :(

Speaking of which, I will be making an annual post tomorrow, raising a glass of Famous Grouse obtained specially for the occasion, and drinking a dram to a certain person's memory. :salut:
Already??????????? Seems only a few months back, time flies when you're getting old. Feck it Grumps we'll soon be feckin' dead ........ albeit it's my intention to live forever, so far so good. :duck:

I've been drinking gin recently but for remembrance of himself, I'll have a nice Scottish drink tomorrow evening. Mind you I never met him in person, the closest I got was a to & fro in the middle of the night on here when himself & meself couldn't sleep and the rest of yis were all in the land of nod.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

One of the best bits of fun I had was back in the early days of the "Predictions Competition"

Not sure how it works nowadays as I no longer enter, but in them thar days, everyone simply posted their predictions before the deadline on this forum, and someone added up the points after the weekend. (Is that still how it works?)

In this particular year (maybe the 2nd or 3rd year of it running), I (Cap'n Grumpy) was leading by just a few points from BogBoy/SamuelT (or whatever name he was using at that time) with just a few weeks of the season to go. We were both well ahead of the chasing pack, so it was down to one of us, barring a total collapse.

Obviously all I had to do to win, was to match or better his scores in the last weeks of the season, and the best way to do that was to see what his predictions were, and then post exactly the same. Shirley I had earned that by virtue of my superior guessing skills up to that point? :duck:

It turned into a stand off to see who could wait until the last possible minute before posting their predictions so that one could see the other's predictions before posting.

That was until another poster offered to act as "honest broker" and both of us were to send our predictions to him in advance of the deadline, then he would post both sets of predictions simultaneously.

Needless to say Boggy/Sammy went for it, and I reluctantly agreed.

History will record that I did indeed go on to win the predictions league that year ...... and once it was all over, I magnanimously admitted to Boggy that the "honest broker" was actually myself using another nom de plume. He had been sending me his predictions each of those last few weeks and all I had to do was copy them. :twisted:

Oh how we both laffed when I told him .... :lol: :lol: (after a string of expletives from him!)

Funnily enough, only one person (that I knew of) suspected anything was suspect* from the start and sent me a PM to tell me I had been rumbled - and that was cables. He was also quite friendly with old Boggy/Sammy, ....... but he didn't "grass" (grouse?) on me. :thumleft:

* a couple of confidants were in on the joke
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shameful Grumps, but brilliantly devious, I'm impressed. :lol:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Shameful Grumps, but brilliantly devious, I'm impressed. :lol:
Well, I did correctly predict that he would fall for it. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Well I'm a good boy. I asked to have my username changed and because I asked, it was done.
Tighter end is a thing of the past and it's nothing to do with the Lamb Vindaloo I had tonight, from the excellent Indian Ocean in Holywood. Guinness added some velocity.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Who the fcuk is that guy?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

An absolute kunt!
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well, all over for another season, we could spend the next few months going round in circles discussing what when wrong who should be shot in the face, that sort of thing.

Doubtless, we will do that but I thought I'd give your creative sides a chance and hereby announce the Summer Limerick Competition.

Rules:
Your Limerick should be in standard five-line form
Lines 1,2 & 5 should rhyme as should 3 & 4, no arty farty none rhyming crap, though if it hints at a rhyme leeway will be provided
Every Limerick should be about a player, coach or office person up to & including Fit.
The winner will be the one that comes closest to making me spit out my coffee.
Well, it's August so s'poooose it's still summer. (insert rain emoji)

Ain't been any limericks posted hereabouts though since June.

With Baggy's permission, (or even without it), I thought I would BTTT in case anyone wants to bang out a few late entries to make Baggy spit (coffee/blood/whatever).
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm out. I got attacked in other threads over my efforts. Limerick's are fcuking ghey anyway. Silly season is over. It's time to get down to the serious business of wondering who we will be playing and who will play.

This thread is dead to me.