Jumping into the air to catch a pass.....?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jumping into the air to catch a pass.....?

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:I wonder will the Italians use this tactic in the 6N?
Only against the English, will take them to half time to work out what to do.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Haskell: "what's a tackle?"
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Haskell: "what's a tackle?"
Monsieur Poite : "I am ze referee it is not my job to coach you"
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Samstew wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:Not concerned about the jump but the illegal chop
Thought i was watching popular sheep worrier richard hibbard there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's the age old question Bub, what came first the chicken or the egg? The chop or the illegal jump into the tackle? Without the jump, their would have been no illegal chop tackle. May I remind you that hurdling tackles ist verboten.
In this case, the intention was to chop, the player jumped, the outcome a clear penalty.
Nothing else to see, move along please, the ref, fortunately, made the correct callImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Stew, you clearly have not read my post, poor old Charlie was discombobulated by the jumping English prop, he had only seen Kangaroos do it on trips to Australia previously. Who are you Sam'l to say that had he not been so discomfited by the tubby lads insane and illegal jump that his chop tackle would not have been entirely legal?

The jump came first and was entirely the root cause. This is as sorry a miscarriage of justice as I have experienced since my ankle went on me when I was 3 under par after 10 holes and after 12 when it returned to full function I was 3 over par have slashed & burned down 11 & 12 on one friggin' leg, no French Tosspot with a whistle to offer me succour. You will be pleased that I birdied 2 of the last 6 holes to finish one-over but that was a chance of a course record stolen by damned misfortune.

I trust you will now find the path to righteousness. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Samstew wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:Not concerned about the jump but the illegal chop
Thought i was watching popular sheep worrier richard hibbard there

It's the age old question Bub, what came first the chicken or the egg? The chop or the illegal jump into the tackle? Without the jump, their would have been no illegal chop tackle. May I remind you that hurdling tackles ist verboten.
In this case, the intention was to chop, the player jumped, the outcome a clear penalty.
Nothing else to see, move along please, the ref, fortunately, made the correct callImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Stew, you clearly have not read my post, poor old Charlie was discombobulated by the jumping English prop, he had only seen Kangaroos do it on trips to Australia previously. Who are you Sam'l to say that had he not been so discomfited by the tubby lads insane and illegal jump that his chop tackle would not have been entirely legal?

The jump came first and was entirely the root cause. This is as sorry a miscarriage of justice as I have experienced since my ankle went on me when I was 3 under par after 10 holes and after 12 when it returned to full function I was 3 over par have slashed & burned down 11 & 12 on one friggin' leg, no French Tosspot with a whistle to offer me succour. You will be pleased that I birdied 2 of the last 6 holes to finish one-over but that was a chance of a course record stolen by damned misfortune.

I trust you will now find the path to righteousness. :thumleft:
Charlie was very much in a chop position prior to the jump tbh

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

can anyone point me to the law ?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Cockatrice wrote:can anyone point me to the law ?
https://www.psni.police.uk/
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

That's done me Jockster. Touch of class.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

A player must not tackle an opponent whose feet are off the ground.
Sanction: Penalty kick
Yes there it is in black and white, so I hope FOLK is working on a strategy of tell all players to jump when receiving passes, we should win everything. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I'd say the appropriate laws are:-

10(e) Dangerous tackling. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.
A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even
if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or
head is dangerous play.
A ‘stiff-arm tackle’ is dangerous play. A player makes a stiff-arm tackle when using a stiffarm
to strike an opponent.
Playing a player without the ball is dangerous play.

10 (I) Tackling the jumper in the air.
A player must not tackle nor tap, push or pull the foot or
feet of an opponent jumping for the ball in a lineout or in open play.

I couldn't find any specific wording about jumping into or through a tackle in the current laws.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm sure the law will be clarified, AFTER, the Lion's are finished with it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:
I'd say the appropriate laws are:-

10(e) Dangerous tackling. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.
A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even
if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or
head is dangerous play.
A ‘stiff-arm tackle’ is dangerous play. A player makes a stiff-arm tackle when using a stiffarm
to strike an opponent.
Playing a player without the ball is dangerous play.

10 (I) Tackling the jumper in the air.
A player must not tackle nor tap, push or pull the foot or
feet of an opponent jumping for the ball in a lineout or in open play.

I couldn't find any specific wording about jumping into or through a tackle in the current laws.
And you won't, that's all there is. 10.i seems specifically aimed at the jumper in the lineout, and though not precise, fielding i high kick.

The bit I have quoted is a nonsense, like Garces decision, for as we know, in the act of running for as much as the time that one foot is on the ground, both are off the ground, strictly speaking "in the air". Of course it is easy to pick holes but all will know that if you ever try to frame a rule in one sentence covering all possibilities, you will be significantly more sage than anyone here.

As alaways, the Laws are never strictly interpreted, but are "managed" by refs to reflect the spirit of the game, I submit to class that a tubbybastard jumping to catch a modestly high passes was not what the lawmakers envisaged when writing it. In the realms of dangerous tackles, it simply failed to register and make no mistake, the law was never intended to be anything but relevant to dangerous play, indeed law 10 is titled Dangerous and Foul Play.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

FFS is this still a debate??? If both your feet are off the ground when collecting the ball you cannot be tackled. For anyone to suggest people hop skip or jump down the field to avoid tackles certainly hasn't ran very far in their lives. The pen last week was a unique set of circumstances that will not likely be repeated for a long time. Doesn't mean it was not a penalty though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:FFS is this still a debate??? If both your feet are off the ground when collecting the ball you cannot be tackled. For anyone to suggest people hop skip or jump down the field to avoid tackles certainly hasn't ran very far in their lives. The pen last week was a unique set of circumstances that will not likely be repeated for a long time. Doesn't mean it was not a penalty though.

Jean, everything is a debate on here. If you like arguing without making a point, then the UAFC is the place for you. Waiting for the fleg/anfum debate anytime soon.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
jean valjean wrote:FFS is this still a debate??? If both your feet are off the ground when collecting the ball you cannot be tackled. For anyone to suggest people hop skip or jump down the field to avoid tackles certainly hasn't ran very far in their lives. The pen last week was a unique set of circumstances that will not likely be repeated for a long time. Doesn't mean it was not a penalty though.

Jean, everything is a debate on here. If you like arguing without making a point, then the UAFC is the place for you. Waiting for the fleg/anfum debate anytime soon.
looking forward to it! Is there a seperate one on bonfires or is it a catchall?