Lealiifano Signs

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kanbei
Novice

Lealiifano Signs

Post by Kanbei »

According to the Belfast Telegraph. Short term contract through to the start of Super Rugby
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lealiifano Signs

Post by damianmcr »

Pity its not a full season
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Waste of time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FFS
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ahh FFS, is that what we've been waiting for?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

seems like a total curate's egg of a deal. Good player and apparently incredible bloke who's still in recovery from a life-changing illness. 4 month deal so if he's great we lose a crucial part of the team at the business end of the season and if he's unable to make the standard we've tried to rehab a guy at the expense of our lesser-light 10s, at least 2 of whom probably aren't up to snuff anyway.

am I missing something? is it definitely a short term deal? I can't really see the value here. the right signing done in the wrong way.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Loki wrote:seems like a total curate's egg of a deal. Good player and apparently incredible bloke who's still in recovery from a life-changing illness. 4 month deal so if he's great we lose a crucial part of the team at the business end of the season and if he's unable to make the standard we've tried to rehab a guy at the expense of our lesser-light 10s, at least 2 of whom probably aren't up to snuff anyway.

am I missing something? is it definitely a short term deal? I can't really see the value here. the right signing done in the wrong way.
He has returned to play at the end of the Super season and is by all accounts, ready to go. He's a class act.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

When February arrives and he departs, cue bakebook to wonder why we let him go.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

URFC = underwhelming rugby football club
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Have we had a shorter deal? I know Peckerwilli, last season's emergency signing was a roaring success, but is Logie working on some inside knowledge and expecting a positive outcome from Judge Rinder?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Buzzing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

@Snipe - I'm not much of a stat hunter but couldn't find a lot of reports on him. I'd be happy with his qualities as a player and a person - his attitude seems to be golden - but I'm sceptical of the terms, let's say. if we're looking at getting another 10 mid season to cover Leliifano's departure that doesn't inspire me tbf.

though if Logie, Kiss et al are working on the assumption that the games we can afford to lose are in our own conference then maybe it's all part of a cunning plan beyond me. ho hum.

looking forward to seeing him play. Hope he's a dazzler. :red:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Well as of yesterday we were staring down the barrel of a complete write off for the entire season withiut anyone likely to be of the required standard to play 10. Nelson is injury prone and not a natural 10. If he is to develo into one then he should be playing league rugby week in week out to gain experience at 10 before coming back to try to play it for ulster, yet that would also be harsh on a guy who has something to offer during the season in the back 3 where he is more accustomed to be playing. Heron has not looked to be of the required standard so far and McPhillips is just a nipper, again playing in what is a very demanding position. Remember PJ took quite a while to develop into a good 10 and look at the quality he had around him, not to mention often playing behind a dominant pack.

The contract until February is far from ideal but we need to look at the strong likelihood that D4 were unlikely to sanction any non IQ signing until the jackson became clearer. This would have seriously restricted ulster's ability to operate as even contacts with potential players would have been delivere with some uncertainty as to whether ulster even really had a role for them and also how long for.

The one thing we absolutely need agter last season is a good start to this season and we have a run of fixtures to start with which may allow us to build some confidence. CL may well be the difference between winning those games and losing them.

Our negotiating position was weak and i would rather ulster were berated for not having a solution post Feb than having nothing at all in the first place. Getting players to come here is not easy from a lifestyle or finance point of view compared to the lure of some of the french or even english clubs.

Let's welcome him and enjoy watching him when he's here.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Has anyone checked his knees????
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I can live with Feb. Our season will probably be over by then anyway but at least he gives a bit of hope until then.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'