Is there any evidence...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Is there any evidence...

Post by Dave »

To suggest that players benefit from these imposed rests? In terms of their overall development including their FORM. Especially players who play very little in the summer tours and are then just parachuted back in at some point. Especially when you see other Lions returning before ours.

#jokeshop
#FIRFU
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Is there any evidence...

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Not defending the policy, but I think the rationale is that players on tour, whether they play or not are kept in training, still possibly taking knocks and after the tour will require R&R to fully recover from the previous season - even if they have only played a few minutes on tour, or not at all.

Said players after full rest, then require time for pre-season conditioning etc,hence the delay in bringing them back to play.

If they don't get the full rest, the risk is that existing knocks and injuries can flare up again more quickly or more seriously.

English clubs don't care about English National team, only in their own results and so take less care.IRFU care (only) about the national team so do all they can to prepare players for international windows.

As I say, Not defending the policy, and have no idea if there is anything other than circumstantial evidence to support it,but that seems to me to be the only rational way to explain it .....if indeed it does explain it.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Would love to know the scientific benefits of a 8 week rest as opposed to a 6 week one. I'd have thought that rest and recovery throughout the season was more important than an extra 2 weeks at the start. FIRFU think less time playing competitive rugby means less injuries.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Is it an EXTRA 2 weeks though. How long were the player's in question actually out of training for? They were still part of a tour while others had their break and had started pre-season. How many weeks are they actually behind in those terms?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

BR wrote:Is it an EXTRA 2 weeks though. How long were the player's in question actually out of training for? They were still part of a tour while others had their break and had started pre-season. How many weeks are they actually behind in those terms?
The real question is how far behind are they of their fellow lions tourists. I don't think Rory and Hendo did any any more touring than the Scots, Welsh or English yet most of them are back already or this week. Maybe it is whinging but the scarlets is a much bigger game than the following two.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I totally get the points about the physical health of the players but in my opinion it could effect the players form. Thinking of the likes of Gilroy and Hendo. Struggled for form at times. Hendo got it back for the Lions. He may come back at the same standard but other times we struggled when the internationals have returned with little game time.

Going away on tour and having extra training could be physically draining but IMHO the players need to actually play on a consistent basis to develop further and ultimately become better players.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I think there is clear evidence to support the view that protracted periods of rest and recuperation are actually damaging to a players long term health as well as form.

I cite the case if Jared Payne, always on breaks never fit for long. Hendy has also been something if a stranger to a white shirt over 2-3 years.

I'm not even going there with Marcellus Coetzee.

Amazingly on the other side of the coin that Sean Ready played almost every match last year and was as fit as a robber's dog throughout.

So I tells ta peeps, restin's bad children. I know if I act like a lazy get I just don't feel like stirring. As the Bible says in chapter somwthing in the book of somebody, verse lucky seven: he who sits rongtime, on shitter become fat bar steward, double quick. Lazy balls us root of all fatties, no you do."

Well I say the Bible, it could have even Billy two bellies Buddal, his high serenity.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

We are so going to win the Six Nations. The other teams will be falling asleep.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Yes, they will all be having an injury crisis.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It's the old argument about fit Vs Match Fit.
Players like to play and it keeps them sharp. When they're sharp they generally stay fitter and are less likely to get silly injuries, but we can't legislate for one of ours getting pummelled by a Marcel/Deysel type monster.
I know we love to hate them, but we really admire them and I'd be looking at how the Kiwis do it and copy it.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I don't imagine professional rugby players operate anywhere near 100% in training like they (should) do in games. They get rusty with a lack of game time. The IRFU only care about having a competitive international team and the fewer matches played for your club means lower risk of injury and convinced that's how the IRFU sees it.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I think there is clear evidence to support the view that protracted periods of rest and recuperation are actually damaging to a players long term health as well as form.

I cite the case if Jared Payne, always on breaks never fit for long. Hendy has also been something if a stranger to a white shirt over 2-3 years.

I'm not even going there with Marcellus Coetzee.

Amazingly on the other side of the coin that Sean Ready played almost every match last year and was as fit as a robber's dog throughout.

So I tells ta peeps, restin's bad children. I know if I act like a lazy get I just don't feel like stirring. As the Bible says in chapter somwthing in the book of somebody, verse lucky seven: he who sits rongtime, on shitter become fat bar steward, double quick. Lazy balls us root of all fatties, no you do."

Well I say the Bible, it could have even Billy two bellies Buddal, his high serenity.
Yes and then Mr Reliable (Reidy) dropped the ball at a crucial time, vs Treviso, from sheer ringrustiness. Playing 10 mins in the summer had him exhausted. He went to bed at 5.00pm for the rest of the summer hols. Wrecked he was.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So with Rory getting injured while being rested. Can we please put this nonsense to bed now IRA-FU?