Cooney & Pienaar

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cooney & Pienaar

Post by Cockatrice »

Russ wrote:
Bayern wrote:
What gives me a real chuckle is the fact Leinster got rid of Cooney and now have thon imposter of a scrum half Gibson Park in their squad.
Well that isn't accurate at all.

Cooney left Leinster originally as he had fallen behind McGrath to 4th choice 9 when MOC was in charge, he left on loan to Connacht where he was 2nd choice.

When the option to return to Leinster and battle McGrath/Reddan/Boss for gametime or stay at Connacht as at worst 2nd choice was offered to him, he understandably chose to remain with Connacht.

Later he chose to stay with Connacht than return to Leinster and compete with McGrath/JGP to be 1st choice at Leinster.

Cooney is a good player, if injury prone, has the potential to be very good.
So Cooney held back Porter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
so it seems.. and himself was held back by Boss who of course we got rid off.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Clear MOTM performance from Cooney again tonight.

Tackled all night the way Pienaar didn't.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

He's a cocky wee shït....

Love him!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bayern wrote:
What gives me a real chuckle is the fact Leinster got rid of Cooney and now have thon imposter of a scrum half Gibson Park in their squad.
Well that isn't accurate at all.

Cooney left Leinster originally as he had fallen behind McGrath to 4th choice 9 when MOC was in charge, he left on loan to Connacht where he was 2nd choice.

When the option to return to Leinster and battle McGrath/Reddan/Boss for gametime or stay at Connacht as at worst 2nd choice was offered to him, he understandably chose to remain with Connacht.

Later he chose to stay with Connacht than return to Leinster and compete with McGrath/JGP to be 1st choice at Leinster.

Cooney is a good player, if injury prone, has the potential to be very good.
So Leinster decided Cooney was surplus to requirements sent to Connacht, now they have Gibson Park and we have Cooney..... yep that's what I thought I said :thumleft:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's better than Pienaar
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:Clear MOTM performance from Cooney again tonight.

He was good, but I thought Lealiifano edged him.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Agreed. Cooney seems a grafter whereas CL is pure class. Seem to be working out well so far.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OK, so we think we have a decent scrum-half, he is no better than 4th in the Irish rankings as they stand so unlikely to be required in D4.

Now we've got Christiano at 10 for a few more months and he was a delight to watch again last night, but come the third week in January ..............what then?

It's just about possible we could be in a position to jockey in the weak section but what are we doing for a 10?

Nobody I know expects to see Paddy play for Ulster again regardless of the verdict, so what do we do?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:OK, so we think we have a decent scrum-half, he is no better than 4th in the Irish rankings as they stand so unlikely to be required in D4.

Now we've got Christiano at 10 for a few more months and he was a delight to watch again last night, but come the third week in January ..............what then?

It's just about possible we could be in a position to jockey in the weak section but what are we doing for a 10?

Nobody I know expects to see Paddy play for Ulster again regardless of the verdict, so what do we do?
Off topic.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I don't know how Cooney could be considered a clear MOTM. McCloskey provided BOTH game breaking offloads for the tries. We find it difficult to break down teams when five metres out. We needed those moments of excellence. Especially the first one, he skins McNicholl then holds off two guys before offloading. He also had some huge carries.

He emphasises the difference between good and bad coaching.

Are people afraid to praise him because Baggy doesn't rate him?

I'm as gay for Baggy as anyone but ffs it's ok to disagree, he doesn't bite.

Cooney did his job well, tackling is normal for a scrumhalf.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

He (Lealiifano) makes it look effortless, doesn't he? Maybe that's why Cooney stood out above him - you can see the effort he's putting in. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'Clear' MotM, but on-balance, he'd get my vote.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cooney might have been in with a shout for MOTM until his kick that gave Scarlets the possession that led to their second try. He's also got that same wee hesitation before he passes that slows Marshall down.

I can't even write the words Pienaar and Coo... Co... C... (see!) In the same sentence.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Who gives a flying feck whether he was MOTM or not, as these things are usually pretty subjective anyway. What is important is that we have a no.9 who can be talked about as having been one of our best players in 3 consecutive games and wins, including a game like last night. He is not Ruan, but.......I daresay our efforts at scrum half so far have been a lot better than pretty much everyone hoped or expected. Good goalkicking under oressure last night as well.

Oh and would Nuci have allowed us a 10 if Ruan was still around? Quite possibl not, so it would have been Ruan and Nelson at halfback. Personally i would prefer to have Conney and CL as a halfback combo, which says something about Cooney's efforts to date. He's no Ruan but....he's doing alright :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:Who gives a flying feck whether he was MOTM or not, as these things are usually pretty subjective anyway. What is important is that we have a no.9 who can be talked about as having been one of our best players in 3 consecutive games and wins, including a game like last night. He is not Ruan, but.......I daresay our efforts at scrum half so far have been a lot better than pretty much everyone hoped or expected. Good goalkicking under oressure last night as well.

Oh and would Nuci have allowed us a 10 if Ruan was still around? Quite possibl not, so it would have been Ruan and Nelson at halfback. Personally i would prefer to have Conney and CL as a halfback combo, which says something about Cooney's efforts to date. He's no Ruan but....he's doing alright :red:
Good summary Bart. Cooney and Christian would certainly be preferable to whatever we else would have come up with.
Tedanica
Novice

Post by Tedanica »

Ruan has already conquered France .

Just read this

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/rugby/top-14 ... age-876609

This is translation from Google :
By David Reyrat

Published on 15/09/2017 at 19h49

The South African scrum half, crowned world champion in 2007, arrived in Montpellier without drum or trumpets. Three games later, he conquered everyone with his knowledge of the game, his talents as a striker and his determination to lead the MHR to the top.

An insurance of old briscard. A stubborn phlegm at the time of investigating penalties and transformations. And, already, an aura with its partners of the pack. Grand helmsman of a team of Montpellier who carbide without hiccups: three matches, three victories and 14 points before receiving Toulon, this Sunday.

Ruan Pienaar has conquered everyone in the Hérault. The fans, his coach, Vern Cotter, and his teammates. He was not the most expected player in the offseason. It was only for the opener of the All Blacks, Aaron Cruden, and Louis Picamoles, back to the fold. The arrival of the South African scrum half, though world champion in 2007 (but in the shade, lining of the unmistakable Fourie du Preez), did not raise the same enthusiasm. Wrongly.

At 33, the native of Bloemfonteain did not come to Montpellier in early retirement. But to meet a final challenge. A little forced at first. For seven seasons, the Springbok with the 88 selections evolved in the North-Irish province of Ulster. He did not want to leave. The leaders of the Belfast team did not want to part with it. But the Irish Federation has changed the rule of the game, obliged Ulster to let a foreign player go. "We want to foster the emergence of talent in the region and extend Ruan's contract will prevent the development of young players," said the IRFU.

Personally, it would be huge to win something here
Ruan Pienaar
So much better for Montpellier! In three days of Top 14, Ruan Pienaar displayed all his qualities. And so much to say that we can not talk about beautiful remains given the mastery and vista intact of the number 9. The most convincing test? Last Saturday in Castres, he scored 17 of the 22 points of his team, with 100% success (he had already registered ... 17 in the big success against Oyonnax). Above all, he played host to the game in Montpellier. Alternating when it was necessary between the foot and the hand, thanks to his excellent reading of the game. While being intractable in defense. The South-Af, who has already scored 42 points (1 try, seven penalties and eight transformations) in three matches to score at the top of the ranking of the best directors of the championship (tied with the young opener Toulonnais, Anthony Belleau).

If the observers are surprised, the person concerned is surprised that they are. Because he did not come to France to have a good time. "There's more sunshine than Belfast, it's great. My wife and the two little ones are happy! Well, to be honest, I would never have thought of coming to France at 33 years old. It would have been simpler to stay in Ireland. Life and rugby decided otherwise. Gave me an opportunity that I must seize. I'm very happy to be here. And, personally, it would be huge to win something here, "he said at the beginning of the season at Midi Olympique.

Looks like he's been here for five years! It is a passionate who adapts very quickly
vern Cotter

He therefore prepared himself accordingly. Shocked physically, mentally ready. "Montpellier is a very ambitious club. And the idea of ​​aiming high loves me a lot ... "His opponents would do well to take that desire for what it is. A real threat. One only has to see it on the ground, concentrated to the extreme. The skull shaved close, the face emaciated. Predator ready to leap, commandant determined to lead his troop towards triumphant conquests.
Author of an express adaptation, facilitated by the presence of a few compatriots with whom he has already evolved in the past, he already feels at home. Leader of men. Ruan Pienaar has set a first goal: "Learning French to communicate with everyone." To give him every chance of reaching his goal, to add a line to a priceless record of club titles. A will, and performances, which have already conquered his trainer, the New Zealander Vern Cotter. "Looks like he's been here for five years!" This is the kind of player that fits very quickly. An enthusiast. "That the years have improved a little more.