Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by justinr73 »

It's an interesting debate but I'm not sure that you can make a sow's ear out of silk, just as it doesn't work the other way around.

Beyond a clutch of 8 or 9 stone boxers and the occasional motorcyclist, I put it to you that NI is hardly a conveyer belt of sporting talent (for whatever reason).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:It's an interesting debate but I'm not sure that you can make a sow's ear out of silk, just as it doesn't work the other way around.

Beyond a clutch of 8 or 9 stone boxers and the occasional motorcyclist, I put it to you that NI is hardly a conveyer belt of sporting talent (for whatever reason).
+1

Golf isn't a sport, before anyone chirps up about our benefactor.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

justinr73 wrote:It's an interesting debate but I'm not sure that you can make a sow's ear out of silk, just as it doesn't work the other way around.

Completely disagree.
In the light of sporting success we have produced a remarkable percentage of rugby and football stars olympians etc.
We are and have been punching well above our weight in sports excuse the pun for such a small country.

I would argue with rugby that the conveyer belt was working under Mcglocks and has since been broken.
However if someone can't be bothered lifting the goods at the end of the belt the rest is pointless, to stretch your analogy.

You argue about the silks purse sows ear with a degree of justification but you don't know for a fact if some of our school boy stars had gone to Leinster that it would be a different story.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

The success of the academy can't be judged by the stars who were always going to make it, rather it should be the more perhaps initially middling talents who needed their rough edges polished in order for them to really shine.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

therealspratt wrote:The success of the academy can't be judged by the stars who were always going to make it, rather it should be the more perhaps initially middling talents who needed their rough edges polished in order for them to really shine.
Great shout
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UR don't recognize that some players just flourish when given 1st team exposure. Many youngsters have been used as a last resort and then there is surprise that they are actually up to the task.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Then there are quite a few who spend too much time 'Polishing their rough edges and putting a shine on it'

IMHO we use youngsters as break glass options instead of giving them ten minutes off the Bench to close out a game.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

There is another example of how not to handle a player.
I'll put in my starter from a former academy player I know, a hard aggressive forward he was too.
He was put on the bench v the usual Italian dross at home for his potential debut.

We had secured the tbp before half time perfect opportunity to give the debutant a half in a no pressure can't lose situation you would have thought.
He was given the last few minutes of the game for his one and only appearance then promptly dropped like a hot stone.
Next season he gave up rugby entirely to pursue an alternative career.
I won't name him but I'm sure you can work it out.

One example but there are plenty.
Think they justify that as having a look at him but we'll stick with Call up Black, Diack and Clive Ross if it's all the same thanks.

Ulster won the u20s inter pros in 2014.
Stockdale was on that side and the only one who has come through when you expect to see the others by now.
I don't buy your silk purse theory Justin
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

bazzaj wrote:There is another example of how not to handle a player.
I'll put in my starter from a former academy player I know, a hard aggressive forward he was too.
He was put on the bench v the usual Italian dross at home for his potential debut.

We had secured the tbp before half time perfect opportunity to give the debutant a half in a no pressure can't lose situation you would have thought.
He was given the last few minutes of the game for his one and only appearance then promptly dropped like a hot stone.

One example but there are plenty.
Think they justify that as having a look at him but we'll stick with Call up Black, Diack and Clive Ross if it's all the same thanks.

Ulster won the u20s inter pros in 2014.
Stockdale was on that side and the only one who has come through when you expect to see the others by now.
I don't buy your silk purse theory Justin
Tell Lorcan I said hi.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

No cigar Dave but thanks for inadvertently demonstrating that this treatment of players was/is common place.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

bazzaj wrote:No cigar Dave but thanks for inadvertently demonstrating that this treatment of players was/is common place.
Totally agree
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Tender wrote:Then there are quite a few who spend too much time 'Polishing their rough edges and putting a shine on it'

IMHO we use youngsters as break glass options instead of giving them ten minutes off the Bench to close out a game.
There doesn't seem to be any real strategy for working academy players into the senior team, or if there is, it ain't a good one.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:There is another example of how not to handle a player.

You'll need to give us a bit more baz

The only times we have had a try BP before half time at home to Italians in the last 3 years was against Zebre last season and Treviso the season before, and in neither of those games did we have an academy forward on the bench.

So either it was along time ago, or my memory's even worse than I thought it was, so give an old man a clue.....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

You'll need to fact check Grumps
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:You'll need to fact check Grumps
Gwan - give us a clue ...

... at least what season? :D

Lightbulb moment .... Son of Jack?

Shirley ye jest?
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right