Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by Cockatrice »

Why did UR not put covers on the pitch in advance of the cold spell?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:Why did Timoney only get a 6 in your player ratings?
I know it's subjective but I would have had him the equal of Reidy at least. Very tidy performance and looked well up to snuff.
I thought he was excellent. He's a real work horse and very quick. He's more in the David Wallace mould of a muscular rather than bulky player. Good prospect.
Very glad that he's kicking on, to me he seems to have a real rugby intelligence and finesse rare in our players which I saw when I first saw him playing for the As, concern was though had he the size to have an impact at a higher level and thankfully that seems to have worked out!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Why did UR not put covers on the pitch in advance of the cold spell?
Somebody just told me they were at the ground today & the pitch is covered in snow and rock hard. No sign of a cover, though somebody also told me the covers they bought are like binbegs, probably some eejit ripped them unpacking them, its the Ulster Way doncha know?

:D :D :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
justinr73 wrote:What the hell was all that about Preston not beating United since 1952?

We beat them in '56, '58 and '59.
Met some very nice Prestonians in Spain last week Justin. Married couple (he was actually from Aghadowey but moved there when he was 10) and her da. The auld lad has been going to Deepdale since 1946! but has never seen them win anything. Puts supporting Ulster into perspective :lol:
I remember cheering them on in the 1964 FA Cup final, my father did his basic training in the RAF in WWII at West Houghton and followed nearby Bolton & Wigan RL but Preston is not too far up the road and he had a soft spot for them too. The Hammers beat them 3-2 and Howard Kendall became the youngest player to play in a cup final aged 17 and some days. After 1964, I got nothing.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:Why did Timoney only get a 6 in your player ratings?
I know it's subjective but I would have had him the equal of Reidy at least. Very tidy performance and looked well up to snuff.
I thought he was excellent. He's a real work horse and very quick. He's more in the David Wallace mould of a muscular rather than bulky player. Good prospect.
Very glad that he's kicking on, to me he seems to have a real rugby intelligence and finesse rare in our players which I saw when I first saw him playing for the As, concern was though had he the size to have an impact at a higher level and thankfully that seems to have worked out!
Shows what happens when you give these guys time to adjust to the pace of the game as has been discussed at length.
Hopefully it will catch on but make no mistake Timoney`s inclusion was purely forced by circumstance rather than an actual plan to include him.

I saw Quins perform against Saracens the previous week and I think a lot of emotional investment went into that judging by their no show.
The best teams can turn it on week in and out but Quins are not in that category so I`m not getting overly carried away with our performance.

However you can only play what`s in front so I hope the penny as dropped defensively with our line speed which was unrecognisable from the passive drift previously seen.
We will get paid dividends by a rush defence especially at this time of year in adverse conditions with quick line speed putting pressure on the opposition handling.

Simple questions for this weeks panel is that did they see this game to be a turning point in Ulster`s fortunes this season or was it a one off?
Please no sitting on the fence and I want you to explain who instigated the change in defensive system using some form of journalistic insight and position to find out from the team/management.

Was it the UAFC?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Liz Fraser! There's one for the teenagers. Are you still wearing the pointy bras?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

Could you write a new song for us to sing instead of that dirge Standup?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
justinr73 wrote:What the hell was all that about Preston not beating United since 1952?

We beat them in '56, '58 and '59.
Met some very nice Prestonians in Spain last week Justin. Married couple (he was actually from Aghadowey but moved there when he was 10) and her da. The auld lad has been going to Deepdale since 1946! but has never seen them win anything. Puts supporting Ulster into perspective :lol:
I remember cheering them on in the 1964 FA Cup final, my father did his basic training in the RAF in WWII at West Houghton and followed nearby Bolton & Wigan RL but Preston is not too far up the road and he had a soft spot for them too. The Hammers beat them 3-2 and Howard Kendall became the youngest player to play in a cup final aged 17 and some days. After 1964, I got nothing.
We're not a bad bunch. For Lionels. I was home the other weekend and had forgotten that people said hello to you in the street. Tbf I met 2 decent fellas at Quins on Sunday, (as well as a fat lass who told me off for blocking her view of the big screen). There's a fine chap in Stortford who saw the '64 game on the tele and took PNE to his heart. Goes to more or less every game - best part of a 500 mile round trip to Deepdale. Loony. I keep a season ticket but have only been going once a year recently (what with my rugby to keep up with 'an all).
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

caledoniancelt wrote:Could you write a new song for us to sing instead of that dirge Standup?
No longer wear a bra and I would do a song but no one would get a handle on my surreal lyrics.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Are we getting confused between Liz Fraser and Elizabeth Fraser?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

justinr73 wrote:Are we getting confused between Liz Fraser and Elizabeth Fraser?
House of

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

justinr73 wrote:Are we getting confused between Liz Fraser and Elizabeth Fraser?
Will the real Liz Frazer stand up..

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/49/2b/aa/492b ... a18761.jpg
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

No there's definitely only one of me but to be fair I've always been confused.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Apologies for going over old ground but can you discuss the merits of Darren Cave training at MCB along with the Lisburn Road Two?

What advantage does Kiss think this gives the squad?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Apologies for going over old ground but can you discuss the merits of Darren Cave training at MCB along with the Lisburn Road Two?

What advantage does Kiss think this gives the squad?
That's an interesting one indeed a 10, 12 and 13 have they cones as opposition ? Or is Darren their minder ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best