Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Watson is the king maker and his position with UR appears to be much much more than a simple unpaid committee man.... WHy and how come...

Indeed may the lads could enquiry as to why he is Kingmaker? Then again doubt it so about an interview with Terry on how his World Domination is getting on? Then again doubt that.. you bastions or the free press took the bump with me the day I asked if the podcasts were being recorded at UR. It was a simple comment that for some reason was taken as an accusation which of course it wasn’t..
Cockers, I don't doubt that you know that certain parties who are generally not known to the average supporter hold strong positions within the various committees. However, I know quite a few people who know Cecil Watson, Winker's da, and describe him as a man who has given up huge tracts of his life, free of charge, in service of Malone, Ulster & Irish Rugby.

Now I do not personally know him but I respect the opinion of the people I am talking about at least 2 of whom know him quite well & very well. Are pals sticking together? Maybe but I know nothing of his role as "kingmaker", so feel free to give me chapter and verse, either here or by PM.

I have also been doing a bit of digging around a few people who may know what sort of "rewards/perks" are available to committeemen.

As far as I can discern:

- the President in his year of office gets free trips for himself & spouse to all Ulster away games that season and all Ireland games that season. These are not exactly freebee weekends as there are duties to perform. Some other Branch Officers get some but not all trips at branch expense.
- No other committeeman or past president gets free travel
- Committeemen get a seat in the box at Spanners +1, about 2 free dinners a season & the occasional drink FOC and the entitlement to buy 2 international tickets.

As far as I can discover, that's it. However, I understand that nobody has an unchallengeable place for life on any committee, all are sent to Spanners by their clubs, those who don't pull their weight are easily removed. Almost everyone involved does it because they are immersed in what's good for their clubs & Ulster for more or less no reward, aka for the love of the game.

I don't doubt that some may be addicted to it, but I also understand that volunteers to do the work involved are hard to come by, certainly, it's not something I would be remotely interested in. It is a substantial undertaking and regular non-attenders at various committees do not last.

There is no doubt that in a mainly amateur game, volunteers keep the game going. I respect those willing to give up their time.

Of course, that is my take on it based only on very minor research. If there is any abuse of position involved then that should be properly investigated, discussed here even, but my fear is that the regular suggestions here, and not exclusively from you by any means, several others involved, is that good people are lumped together as living high on the hog as freeloaders when that seems to be grossly unfair and untrue, for largely many many hours for scant reward.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Watson is the king maker and his position with UR appears to be much much more than a simple unpaid committee man.... WHy and how come...

Indeed may the lads could enquiry as to why he is Kingmaker? Then again doubt it so about an interview with Terry on how his World Domination is getting on? Then again doubt that.. you bastions or the free press took the bump with me the day I asked if the podcasts were being recorded at UR. It was a simple comment that for some reason was taken as an accusation which of course it wasn’t..
Cockers, I don't doubt that you know that certain parties who are generally not known to the average supporter hold strong positions within the various committees. However, I know quite a few people who know Cecil Watson, Winker's da, and describe him as a man who has given up huge tracts of his life, free of charge, in service of Malone, Ulster & Irish Rugby.

Now I do not personally know him but I respect the opinion of the people I am talking about at least 2 of whom know him quite well & very well. Are pals sticking together? Maybe but I know nothing of his role as "kingmaker", so feel free to give me chapter and verse, either here or by PM.

I have also been doing a bit of digging around a few people who may know what sort of "rewards/perks" are available to committeemen.

As far as I can discern:

- the President in his year of office gets free trips for himself & spouse to all Ulster away games that season and all Ireland games that season. These are not exactly freebee weekends as there are duties to perform. Some other Branch Officers get some but not all trips at branch expense.
- No other committeeman or past president gets free travel
- Committeemen get a seat in the box at Spanners +1, about 2 free dinners a season & the occasional drink FOC and the entitlement to buy 2 international tickets.

As far as I can discover, that's it. However, I understand that nobody has an unchallengeable place for life on any committee, all are sent to Spanners by their clubs, those who don't pull their weight are easily removed. Almost everyone involved does it because they are immersed in what's good for their clubs & Ulster for more or less no reward, aka for the love of the game.

I don't doubt that some may be addicted to it, but I also understand that volunteers to do the work involved are hard to come by, certainly, it's not something I would be remotely interested in. It is a substantial undertaking and regular non-attenders at various committees do not last.

There is no doubt that in a mainly amateur game, volunteers keep the game going. I respect those willing to give up their time.

Of course, that is my take on it based only on very minor research. If there is any abuse of position involved then that should be properly investigated, discussed here even, but my fear is that the regular suggestions here, and not exclusively from you by any means, several others involved, is that good people are lumped together as living high on the hog as freeloaders when that seems to be grossly unfair and untrue, for largely many many hours for scant reward.
I have seen at first hand the level of unpaid commitment required by those who serve on club committees and who represent their clubs a branch level. Anyone who begrudges them whatever small perks the IRFU see fit to grant them really is a curmudgeon. What they receive is small recompense compared to the input required. So begrudgers, pull up a chair and let's see the fibre of your fabric at the dozens of tedious meetings, where every plonker has an opinion and the desire to express it at mind numbing length.
My only issue with the amateur committee members is that they should have no input into the running of the professional game. That is the long and short of it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

But the question remains, is Watson's position untenable?

From anecdotal evidence it appears tenable but they should at least address this

The further question of whether Logan's position is untenable has only one answer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Sorry when I referenced kingmaker I made no mention of freebies or having palms crossed with anything and yes for many committe men they give their time free and for no reward not seeking any.... my query was how anyone in that position should then be the man to hand a DoR of a professional sports team his P45.. and also be the man to tell a CEO employed by the IRFU that he should look for a new job...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote: My only issue with the amateur committee members is that they should have no input into the running of the professional game. That is the long and short of it.
I'd almost agree with that Snipe, but I understand we have one or two serious business people involved and the pro-game has it's off pitch business side. But in general, yeah, amateurs out.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Sorry when I referenced kingmaker I made no mention of freebies or having palms crossed with anything and yes for many committe men they give their time free and for no reward not seeking any.... my query was how anyone in that position should then be the man to hand a DoR of a professional sports team his P45.. and also be the man to tell a CEO employed by the IRFU that he should look for a new job...
No, I understand you didn't and as I said, I have general disquiet over what many here appear to believe about "the blazers". I have no idea about Watson, my points were more general, I think many here might need to understand that being on a committee isn't a dream job. As Snipe says, many hours of unpaid drudgery for most, one glittering year with a shedload of commitment for a few.

I'm not saying you are wrong about anyone, just that I remain unclear despite lots of small requests for clarity. It seems to me, very few actually know what happens around Spanners.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: My only issue with the amateur committee members is that they should have no input into the running of the professional game. That is the long and short of it.
I'd almost agree with that Snipe, but I understand we have one or two serious business people involved and the pro-game has it's off pitch business side. But in general, yeah, amateurs out.
Absolutely. By the same token, a professional man is probably not well placed to make calls on the business side of the game. Horses for courses. We have a few top notch administrators about the place too.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

With a 0645 train to catch tomorrow, the last thing I needed after a lengthy and fairly liquid dinner at the German Gymnasium opposite St Pancras was a bunch of “in terms of” from JB!
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

Some listener questions for this week’s podcast please!

Baggy, I’ll go ahead and lock in your weekly Logan question now :lol:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

With the recent loss to fecking edinburgh, what players should be sacked immediately?

Why do UR players play like complete drains against dross opposition AND why do they play like utter shyte in the AIL?

Why was Zac McCall pulled from the Hinch game when Peter Cromie is a much bettet 2?

How will Irish clubs do this Friday?

When can we expect Paddy and Stu back at Ravenhill?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ADM wrote:Some listener questions for this week’s podcast please!

Baggy, I’ll go ahead and lock in your weekly Logan question now :lol:
I'll ask it anyway Adam, just in case some people believe I've accepted him as tenable.

The only possible reason to retain the services of Terry WD Slogan is if he has a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction, in which case a negotiated settlement may be required..............or a talented sniper.

However, on the assumption that our CEO, a trained killer from Sandhurst, has no such weapons, given the parlous state of Ulster Rugby on and off the pitch, and the almost certain failure to get knockout rugby for the second successive year, even with two more places available and the spectre of the Parker Pen should we fail to win the SDC playoff, are there any circumstances in which any sentient creature could consider Terry WD Slogan's position as CEO tenable?

Secondly, will the Prime Minister agree with ................ oh wait, will you guys agree with me that Jono's interview after the game was not only refreshingly free of Mr Mumbo-Jumbo's bullshit, but amazingly for a rugby coach, it was by and large - to use an industry term - "dead on balls accurate"? Furthermore, it was very easy to understand exactly of whom he will have been asking questions this morning, isn't that right, Rodney, Louis and the artist formerly known as Tommy Bowe, amongst others. Louis a little less culpable than the other two but still a dumb call.

Thirdly, Cockers is a cracking, not craicin', Coach/DOR, and that is a fact, he sussed us out double quickly. Should we at least be talking to him?

Now talk amongst yourselves. >EW
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Baggy... thanks for asking the question again they would never have taken it from me as I still must be on URs hit list.. as for Terry he continues to be embarrassment and one we need to dispose off..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Do you think Rodney is the poorest ever Ulster signing particularly in terms of lack of effort?
I've seen some average Joellis in my time and would say that Rodney just takes the biscuit if it wasn't more like the whole fecken factory.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

What's the chances that we could lose all our remaining games
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Kofi Annan wrote:What's the chances that we could lose all our remaining games
In or around 30% I'd say.

Q. What is an acceptable return from the last 6?

Q. Have we seen the last of Tommy?

Q. What are our priority signings for next season?

Q. How many supporters would suffer the ignominy of losing the last 6 if it ensured Logan was shown the road?

Q. How many season tickets will be sold for 18/19?