The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Disappeared 2018-19 season

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:That is a real promising group of players. It's a good time to have Jono here. Add in Tommy O'Hagan, already promoted to the 1st team squad but yet to feature. The future is bright.
We have had promising players before who invariably never were heard off again, something goes badly wrong in the transition from promising to actually fulfilling a useful part of the squad.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:That is a real promising group of players. It's a good time to have Jono here. Add in Tommy O'Hagan, already promoted to the 1st team squad but yet to feature. The future is bright.
How much time does Jonno get with the Academy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Don't know but he will be bringing them through to the first team.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
We have had promising players before who invariably never were heard off again, something goes badly wrong in the transition from promising to actually fulfilling a useful part of the squad.
Could be a number of factors but often players are hyped up. I remember Les raving about Dow.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: The future is bright.
The present is shyte :cheers:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

Not if Logan needs to sell tickets/needs to justify Tommys wages

I've said it before around the contracting issue but I'll say it again

You pay a man 200,000
You budget to get 20 games out of him at 10,000 per game

You get this new winger in the Academy. Cost 20,000

So now a 20 game season costs 220,000 for a wing berth

Playing the Academy bloke means the outgoings for one match for that winger is 11,000, but then you've lost out on the ticket selling factor of playing your big name at home

Last edited by Russ on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:

Not if Logan needs to sell tickets/needs to justify Tommys wages

I've said it before around the contracting issue but I'll say it again

You pay a man 200,000
You budget to get 20 games out of him at 10,000 per game

You get this new winger in the Academy. Cost 20,000

So now a 20 game season costs 220,000 for a wing berth

Playing the Academy bloke means the outgoings for one match for that winger is 21,000, but then you've lost out on the ticket selling factor of playing your big name at home

Bakebookers don't know who is playing until they get there and even then it's dubious. Just have Tommy's picture on the website when they are buying the tickets.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:

Why would he have any other than in joint training sessions, i am sure he like the other coaches pay attention to them. He is the 1st XV coach .

Russ you have a very high opinion of Soper, can you tell us why ? I don't know the man from Adam, but if he is that good why has he not applied for bigger jobs, or is he comfortable at his level. He may well be the Answer i don't know, but i am willing to listen. But sometimes more than a kiwi accent is vital.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Russ wrote:

Why would he have any other than in joint training sessions, i am sure he like the other coaches pay attention to them. He is the 1st XV coach .

Russ you have a very high opinion of Soper, can you tell us why ? I don't know the man from Adam, but if he is that good why has he not applied for bigger jobs, or is he comfortable at his level. He may well be the Answer i don't know, but i am willing to listen. But sometimes more than a kiwi accent is vital.
That's the point Im making Kofi. We can harp on about Jonnos influence on the Academy but i dont think they'll get much face time

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:That's the point Im making Kofi. We can harp on about Jonnos influence on the Academy but i dont think they'll get much face time

Agreed, at an academy level but once they make the first team he will get to shape their early career.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Aaron Dundon our scrum coach is surprised that O'Hagan is a LH as he has the physique of a TH
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

scrum5 wrote:Aaron Dundon our scrum coach is surprised that O'Hagan is a LH as he has the physique of a TH
how is our scrum doing?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Aaron Dundon our scrum coach is surprised that O'Hagan is a LH as he has the physique of a TH
how is our scrum doing?
Fine when RAY and Best are there

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

O'Hagan seems to me a Court style LH, another late-ish convert to the game. He has been conspicuously absent from the A team so far this season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've been living in hope the last couple of years on the strength of assurances that the young crop who have done well of late have many forwards included. If we intend to gas the never will bes and run with d'yutes I'm prepared to shut my trap and give it time.

That said the situation remains that Black is no worse than our second best LH and less injury prone than Diddies. He's also still 31. I thought he was 63 like me.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Loosehead is very much a position of concern, and it's not like we have much by way of quality there in the academy. Would have been very different had Reid joined the academy.