Jordi Murphy to Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Re: Jordi Murphy to Ulster

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Tender wrote:Why didn't we see this coming?

Stadium to be renamed ACL Recovery Stadium (or not)
We had to wait until he’d ruptured his ACL before negotiations could begin...
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Spiffsson wrote:Jordi Murphy is a decent provincial level player who usually plays pretty consistently and manages to have the odd blinder. Far from outstanding. Something similar to our own Sean Reidy. I think he is lucky enough to have some Ireland caps. I suppose, overall, he will be a useful squad player, especially since he can cover 6,7,8 but I can't get too excited. One of the reasons we are not producing our own forwards is that they are simply not getting game time to develop. The signing of Murphy will affect the progress of players like Hall and Dalton.
No the reason Ulster haven't produced forwards is that the talent hasn't been there. It has nothing to do with limited game time at senior level.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Funny how Leinster manage to develop a brad pitt load of back row forwards with Jordi there. I call BS on that notion spiffy.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Good news in European match week. Tick
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dave wrote:Funny how Leinster manage to develop a brad pitt load of back row forwards with Jordi there. I call BS on that notion spiffy.
yeh but they were all better than Jordi..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:
Dave wrote:Funny how Leinster manage to develop a brad pitt load of back row forwards with Jordi there. I call BS on that notion spiffy.
yeh but they were all better than Jordi..
Ok, you and spiffy are right. Jordi is the biggest talent blocker since Judas Pienaar.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

To claim Jordi is 'Keeping talent back' disqualifies the contributor of being taken seriously in anything else he posts or has posted.

Are there still deluded patrons of the forum out there thinking we actually have a world beating unit of wonder kids locked away in the basement just itching for a chance .... and they say Kiss and Logan are bonkers... :banghead:
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cornerfleg wrote:To claim Jordi is 'Keeping talent back' disqualifies the contributor of being taken seriously in anything else he posts or has posted.

Are there still deluded patrons of the forum out there thinking we actually have a world beating unit of wonder kids locked away in the basement just itching for a chance .... and they say Kiss and Logan are bonkers... :banghead:
Maybe some of the Kiss and Logan magic has rubbed off on the rest of us.. after all everything one of them touches has turned to gold. I don't hold Jordi responsible for holding back any Academy talent any of the cream there by-passed him into the Leinster and Irish set-ups anyhow. Is he a good signing YES is a potential softener for Marcel not coming back now that is another question.

I think Jordi realises he won't make the Munster back-row and Belfast is better than Galway or getting the odd benching for Leinster..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am somewhat amazed at the variety of responses. OK "amazed" is probably the wrong word.

This is clearly a signing to welcome as was Marty Moore. How they work out is another matter, time will tell.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Spot on Cockers ... Jordi isn't the best back rower in Mexico ... he joins us where he can add strength to our other Lienster rejects - who sadly are clearly better than what we've produced ... THAT is the damming fact that the UABB need to get their tiny little buy a beanie #SUFTUM heads around.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Some folk are getting a bit silly here. I have followed Jordi through his career more that most. I always considered what a great signing he would be for Ulster and am delighted that this has now happened.
What is it about the Ulster character that no matter what is done some always seem to delight in being negative and critical.
From my mates and myself I would say to Jordi that we are delighted he is coming here and hope he will thrive in Ulster and get his International place back in time for the World Cup along with Marty Moore.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Totally agree Cracker. Jordi adds quality but he is not Kieran Read, which some people can't accept or forgive him for. Our back row options will now improve for next season:

Murphy
Deysel
Coetzee ( or a replacement if he doesn't return)
Reidy
Timoney
Chad
Rea

Joe will demand Hendo plays in the second row with the world cup looming.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Totally agree Cracker. Jordi adds quality but he is not Kieran Read, which some people can't accept or forgive him for. Our back row options will now improve for next season:

Murphy
Deysel
Coetzee ( or a replacement if he doesn't return)
Reidy
Timoney
Chad
Rea

Joe will demand Hendo plays in the second row with the world cup looming.
Marcell has a contract for next year and is not uninsured, to wit, Ulster will be liable to pay his £500-£600K next season and therefore cannot afford a high-class replacement, even with Charless gone, given the cost of retaining IQ players.

If we do get Jordi, he is the big signing in the back row. I am a major fan of Sean Reidy, both in terms of quality & in terms of seemingly being available more than most.

It's not going to scare many teams, but Murphy Reidy & Timoney would provide the core of a highly mobile back row all seemingly with 80-minute engines - well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad (copyright Meatloaf). The question is do we have a forwards coach to make such a prospect work? The answer is yes if some interfering wee no mark with a penchant for putting his nose where it isn't needed would just hurry up and get sacked.

Can a mobile pack do a job in these days of heavyweights? That is a pertinent question, I'd love to see it tried, I don't see much of an alternative, to be honest.

OK I'll ask, does anyone have the slightest idea what is the situation with Deysel?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

If we do get Jordi
UR have announced it. Obviously expecting a defeat on Friday.

Good news/bad news.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I am somewhat amazed at the variety of responses. OK "amazed" is probably the wrong word.

This is clearly a signing to welcome as was Marty Moore. How they work out is another matter, time will tell.
Keepin yer aarse well covered there Baagy, eh!