Ulster v Hairyqueens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Re: Ulster v Hairyqueens

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Feel a sense of perspective is needed

Yes we shipped 24 points but when you consider 2 of those tries came from 1) an intercept which led to massive space and 2) our last line of defense was down getting treatment

I dont think the drift defence is maybe as porous as you think. When used properly it can be seen to be effective and to use it properly there needs to be guys with pace drifting so if an outside break is made the sweeper or the last drifters have the pace to catch up. That’s when using Trimble and Bowe exposes the system as they may have the brain but dont have the pace to catch anyone making a break. Example, when Trimble and Nelson came on there was a massive amount of space for Quins to run in to, and they made some space because a) Trimble wasnt in position and had to sprint to make up the gap. So as I say, if used properly, it can be effective

Also consider Ludik was at 13 where he has publicly stated he doesnt really like playing in the 13 channel

The point about the missed tackles is a worry but I dont think that’s the drift defences fault but it falls to poor coaching from Les and Jono as defence and forwards coach
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Any talk among the troops or those in the know why there was no 'fan interaction' at the start or after the whistle went?????
There was 'fan interaction' after the whistle went

https://www.facebook.com/rob.pooley.31/ ... 135550528/
I hope he is banned from the ground for life.
I cant get it to play... what is it?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

BR wrote:
Rovi Snave wrote:
BR wrote:
BR wrote:I'm concerned that it was more the weather that beat Quins on Sunday, than anything that Ulster did.

However - the rotation by Quins should mean we have the edge again tonight.

I'm sure a number of those Quins players will be trying to prove a point (either for the club, or for themselves), so it'll come down to whether or not we are having a defence tonight. I'm going with a TBP for Quins - hoping for 4-2 rather than 0-5.

A works do would be the perfect excuse to avoid this, but sitting in the house, I may be tempted to turn on the wireless. Please tell me it's only on MW!
Was I close?
Not even close!!! Image
Did they get a TBP?
The only thing you can predict about Ulster this weather is that there will be tries galore for amd against.
Give us space for our wide men to operate and we look so threatening.
Hendy and McCloskey gives us the go forward threat to allow them the space to do that.

Problem is the better sides squeeze you and don't let you play that way.

The early Herring linebreak through the middle of the Quins midfield was jawdroppingly awful from them considering the Qe2 could have got through that.
Set the tone for the game.

Have to admit though it is better to watch than Doak ball.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Any talk among the troops or those in the know why there was no 'fan interaction' at the start or after the whistle went?????

Not a fan?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
HWM will be there long after the clowns running UR have gone. I'd ban the ballbegs in the premium seats above the terrace. Everybody up there seems to be a complete tosser.

Attendance 15.646. I know some part time supporters were busy committing minor sexual offences with Sharon from HR last night, but still pretty shabby for a European fixture with qualification hopes very much alive. There was plenty of elbow room at the halfway line on the terrace.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

kingofthehill wrote:Highlight for me was watching Trump... sorry I mean Ferris squirm at the post match analysis with Kiss. Doyle absolutely brilliant from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slightly awkward wasn't it?

I'd have asked Ferris how many teams have lost fewer games than Ulster this season across the Pro 14, France and England.

Hint - it's one.
Last edited by justinr73 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Video is set to friends only

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Cockatrice wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Baggy on the pitch at the end of the game wearing a onesie and looking a bit pickled.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

HWM jostling with a couple of stewards, centre pitch. Has a bit of a wrestle with another one and they both fall over. All good fun.

It's on URSC bakebook. Take it you're not a "friend" of theirs Russ :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote: There was 'fan interaction' after the whistle went

HWM jostling with a couple of stewards, centre pitch. Has a bit of a wrestle with another one and they both fall over. All good fun.

It's on URSC bakebook. Take it you're not a "friend" of theirs Russ Image
Im a member of an alternative faction
I believe both factions are cordial but some members of the URSC are wary of the new upstarts

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

justinr73 wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Highlight for me was watching Trump... sorry I mean Ferris squirm at the post match analysis with Kiss. Doyle absolutely brilliant from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slightly awkward wasn't it?

I'd have asked Ferris how many teams have lost fewer games than Ulster this season across the Pro 14, France and England.

Hint - it's one.
We are indeed brill but Kiss explaining his defence looks like a shambles was interesting.. at least SKY mentioned the dreaded D word to him.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:Feel a sense of perspective is needed

Yes we shipped 24 points but when you consider 2 of those tries came from 1) an intercept which led to massive space and 2) our last line of defense was down getting treatment

I dont think the drift defence is maybe as porous as you think. When used properly it can be seen to be effective and to use it properly there needs to be guys with pace drifting so if an outside break is made the sweeper or the last drifters have the pace to catch up. That’s when using Trimble and Bowe exposes the system as they may have the brain but dont have the pace to catch anyone making a break. Example, when Trimble and Nelson came on there was a massive amount of space for Quins to run in to, and they made some space because a) Trimble wasnt in position and had to sprint to make up the gap. So as I say, if used properly, it can be effective

Also consider Ludik was at 13 where he has publicly stated he doesnt really like playing in the 13 channel

The point about the missed tackles is a worry but I dont think that’s the drift defences fault but it falls to poor coaching from Les and Jono as defence and forwards coach
Try this for perspective. Last season we conceded a record number of tries and failed to make any knock out match, that usually happens when your defence allows teams both good & bad to saunter through.

Chillingly, this season we are ahead to record pace to concede an even larger number of tries.

Now, none of this is simply opinion, it is cold hard fact. That's where I reach for my perspective, realism.

However, like you I don't give a fig what system they use, I just want them to stop leaking tries to poor teams like Dragons & Hairyquims.

Coruchie, get in the fuc'king sea. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheeky ballix, gentlemen do not wear onesies, I always wear my string simmit like my hero.
Rab.jpg
Rab.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 469 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Question: which of the following teams would have beaten that Quins team last night?

Connacht
Treviso
Zebra
Kings
Leinster A*

*the Dublin based one
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Inspector Brown
Novice

Post by Inspector Brown »

Needless to say, far too many missed tackles and set pieces are both an issue.

Damn our backs can play some rugby.

I overheard a consultant orthopedic seer declaring that CP has done his ACL. So that's him done then.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Inspector Brown wrote:Needless to say, far too many missed tackles and set pieces are both an issue.

Damn our backs can play some rugby.

I overheard a consultant orthopedic seer declaring that CP has done his ACL. So that's him done then.
On replay it doesn't look good....
Last edited by scrum5 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The quims came with nothing to play for but pride and no Englishman has had any real pride since they lost the Raj.
Ulster may not have lost a lot of games, but they've dropped BPs against Mickey Mouse outfits and have been embarrassed along the way. Struggling just doesn't begin to cover it.
Fez isn't far off the mark.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.