Papering over cracks, Daves and Caves....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Papering over cracks, Daves and Caves....

Post by Dave »

What was he playing?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

A Tuba
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

First decent run out since away to Kings and he was not fully fit for that match, any wonder he was average last week he needed game time.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

He was playing 12 v Connacht.
Has rum not forgotten that the posters on here want to see him at 13 in his best position?

At least defensively we were a lot better and Caves clear organisational role in the key 13 channel may well be a lot of the reason behind that.
However Munster came as we thought with a limited intent to beat us up in the forwards which nearly came off had we not replaced our props at half time.
Weren't exactly intent on testing our wide defence.

That said, Cave in Paynes absence, is our only 13 capable of defending that channel where the oppositon look to exploit and get frequent joy.
We have been all at sea this season because of that against the most powderpuff of opponents pouring outside the 13 channel with Bowe Ludik and Co not having the first clue whether to press or hold nor who to take.
If we are to paper over cracks it's because we have been asking electricians to plaster.
Last edited by Liz Fraser on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Such matters are simply opionion but SKY posted their combined Avivabosh, Top 14 & Pro14 team of the week and at 13 we have:
13. Darren Cave (Ulster)

With his province 17-0 down at home to Munster and staring a second humiliating derby defeat in the face, Cave - who was a late inclusion into the XV - stood up and ensured it wouldn't happen.

Darren Cave was a late inclusion in the Ulster XV after Louis Ludik pulled out, but he was the pick of the players.

With Munster down to 14 men, Cave broke the line to dive over for Ulster's first points of the match on 58 minutes, in a move which also saw Sam Arnold red carded for the visitors due to a high shot on Christian Lealiifano.

With Munster consequently down to 13 men, Cave showed his intelligence in the most crucial part of the match, putting in a sublime grubber kick for the first of Craig Gilroy's tries in the comeback victory. From there, Ulster were well on their way.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

McCloskey sometimes plays like a trombone in a strings section.

He can put on the blinkers and either miss numbers around him or simply pick the wrong shot.
At precisely 41.35 minutes on the Red clock Ulster had a THREE ON ONE outside the big horse. Both Cave & Lyttle we calling for ball either through the hands or a soft kick behind. The red 15 being on the other side of the pitch.
McCloskey picked the third and wrong option to truck the ball into the line without getting any offload feed to Cave. An almost certain score gone.

When you have an opportunity like that your first instinct should be the right one...
McCloskey is a work in progress.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He also had his standard offload into touch. In fairness he has developed a passing game for this season.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I may be wrong, but in the week before the Connaught Slaughterhouse, didn't Cave train with the two young gentlemen? He was highly unlikely to have a good game coming from enforced exile to the starting 15 with no gametime.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

lw7 wrote:McCloskey sometimes plays like a trombone in a strings section.

He can put on the blinkers and either miss numbers around him or simply pick the wrong shot.
At precisely 41.35 minutes on the Red clock Ulster had a THREE ON ONE outside the big horse. Both Cave & Lyttle we calling for ball either through the hands or a soft kick behind. The red 15 being on the other side of the pitch.
McCloskey picked the third and wrong option to truck the ball into the line without getting any offload feed to Cave. An almost certain score gone.

When you have an opportunity like that your first instinct should be the right one...
McCloskey is a work in progress.
Wouldn’t have McCloskey near a starting team with everyone fit or available to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If Ulster’s problems could be resolved by playing Cave I would be singing from the same sheet but one swallow doesn’t make a summer .

Timoney Réa and Jones are work in progress and about 18 months away from being a Unit .
Last nights Munster’s back was weaker than normal and not a basis to judge capabilities of them.
Munster normally field a sound front five and last night was no different .

Reading the posted comments on 42 i e is an education

Not long ago Munsterfans were in a clamour that JJ should be playing for Ireland after one game in the 10 jersey but not to day . One swallow doesn’t mean it’s summer .

They are also complaining about the Ref and the Red Card .
Which raises the question why the penalty try when Munster were scoring a push over anyway ?
Why no penalty try for Ulster when Munster collapsed the mail just short of their line .

Why the review of Clooneys try without reviewing the crossing to form the maul for Munsters trys ?
Why were Munster never penalised for coming in the side and over in the rucks ?
If only all Ulster had to complain about was a deserved red and yellow card .

The fact reminds a result against a Munster side reduced to 13/14 players and without their international scrum half and back row is not a game to highlight and praise players or think they are «  the big white hopes « 

A little realism please

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

One swallow usually means you've paid more than usual.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I think Cooney was rightly annoyed at his try being scrubbed. I mean Big Al clearing out a ruck then holding on to a player. Wow. In fairness we only cleared out one ruck all night so we couldn't have given away another similar penalty, but Muster were flying in to rucks head first off their feet all night. Penatlies aren't just penalties if they occur during a scoring play ref. He was looking for reasons to disallow it.

And Wee Sammy's red was a cert. "Red" was the first word out of my mouth, though I did expect the ref to lap out and go with a yellow.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Own up which tool on here gave numbnuts the idea all Ulster's problems could be fixed by playing Cave at 13. I need a name ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FS rum. Either Rea is now actually French or you had another ipod touch brainfart. Either way I've been trying to wipe a speck of dirt from my phone for the last 5 mins.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote:If Ulster’s problems could be resolved by playing Cave I would be singing from the same sheet but one swallow doesn’t make a summer .

Timoney Réa and Jones are work in progress and about 18 months away from being a Unit .
Last nights Munster’s back was weaker than normal and not a basis to judge capabilities of them.
Munster normally field a sound front five and last night was no different .

Reading the posted comments on 42 i e is an education

Not long ago Munsterfans were in a clamour that JJ should be playing for Ireland after one game in the 10 jersey but not to day . One swallow doesn’t mean it’s summer .

They are also complaining about the Ref and the Red Card .
Which raises the question why the penalty try when Munster were scoring a push over anyway ?
Why no penalty try for Ulster when Munster collapsed the mail just short of their line .

Why the review of Clooneys try without reviewing the crossing to form the maul for Munsters trys ?
Why were Munster never penalised for coming in the side and over in the rucks ?
If only all Ulster had to complain about was a deserved red and yellow card .

The fact reminds a result against a Munster side reduced to 13/14 players and without their international scrum half and back row is not a game to highlight and praise players or think they are «  the big white hopes « 

A little realism please

Penalty try should always be awarded if apropriate because it guarantees 7 points.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall