Wasps Vs Ulster Sun 21/01/18 BT Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

caledoniancelt
Initiate

Re: Wasps Vs Ulster Sun 21/01/18 BT Sport

Post by caledoniancelt »

Agreed.

If we really chant SUFTUM loud enough maybe it will all come good?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Well that went well!

Positives: The yellow and blue boots looked ever so good in the mud, great photos.

Any fans that were in that awful looking stadium, soulless, bare, freezing and wet, fairplay to you all - put a new meaning to being sent to Coventry!!

Negatives: We don't ever win the games that really count, the good performances merely flattering to deceive - it might actually be better if we were always poor because we wouldn't continually get our hopes up, but sure that's the Ulster way.

All the best to Cristian, a thoroughly decent individual, will be following him with the Brumbies - just reading his mind in that shithole of a day yesterday, heading for an Australian Summer, suck it in sir, you deserve it!
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
jean valjean wrote:
scrum5 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42767915

Is it only me that Peel ticks off in this interview?
Add me to that. Hard to expect him to show any emotion but having to be prompted for an apology is poor. Jonnos reputation will go down the pan very quickly unless things change. Can't see him putting up with this much longer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
What about the others that don’t have the balls to face the press...

Col. Logan has been Missing in Action for far too long as well.. not the first time though he missed the action in the Falklands and a few other places as well.
Fair shout Cockers.
What was he supposed to say? For me he called a spade a spade. We were absolute scour and were bullied at the breakdown. If we fired a shot, I missed it.
In recent weeks we have had a couple of great breaks with opposition players carded at crucial times letting us back in against Munster and last week. Otherwise we have been consistently weak for most of the season.

It's a hard schoolroom for Timoney who is looking like a good player in the making.
Sorry to Turko the only consolation to that shambles was I didn't go.

All spot on from everyone but I just want to highlight a few things from the game that sums us up.
I wonder if Wasps or La Rochelle had seen us play before because any side who had would realise that you don't have to do anything fancy to beat us.
Simplistic one out direct low risk rugby opens us up more or less instantly.
Wasps may have gone in thinking they had to fling the ball around but soon realised that their depleted pack was being made to look like the All Blacks by our shower.

Wasps first try kick to corner and an inevitable jump catch drive all could see was coming,except our pack evidently.
We don't contest and put 4 into a defensive maul.
Two players lean in to defend.
Verses 8 men they are no match, they get momentum.and and we gift them a score to get them up and running.
Everyone knows you have to stop a driving maul at source.
There was no urgency or intelligence used to defend that and that was when I knew the game was up.

Wasps 4th try, good inital defence from Herbst amd Warwick to force them on the back foot.
However instead of looking for the next hit to put them further back we rock back on our heels. Timoney is promptly brushed aside and two phases of one out later they score.

Despite there never being a try scored that a defence could prevent, you concede sometimes the oppositon have done well.
Le Rouxs kick to the Hooker to score and Ciprianis perfect flighted and timed pass for their third, in those conditions are possibly such examples.

However those other two tries were a preventable embarrassment.
Its not conceding them so much but it's the manner of it and the lack of any will to prevent them that hurts.
If Wasps had required 6 tries they would have got them and as someone said we looked like the side with nothing to play for.

You would have thought in those conditions at least might have been a leveller.
You would have thought wrong.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Pretty predictable really. We're a very average side. Not only did we lose ruan but also the olding/Jackson nightmare has fekked us. Pack is saft. I'm fairness the lads have won a couple of decent games at home but we are nowhere near good enough to beat decent sides away from home.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

This may be a batshît crazy idea. But maybe we should aspire to be like Wasps, with their Magnificent Stadium and Hotel.

Then we could be on the road to world domination .
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well that was depressing. Horrible weather, half empty soulless stadium, an Ulster team that could only score if the opposition gave them the ball.

Looking on the bright side, the trains were all on time so my journey back home went well.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster haven't had a back row to compete since Ferris retired and he had the assistance of Henry and and Wilson who were younger and injury free and they played as a unit .Fat Nick was a reasonable individual player but the fact is he failed to be part of a defensive unit -- he was a ball carrying anchor man.

Backrows win matches or allow matches to be won. Ulster have Henry in his twilight years, two inexperienced youngsters, a couple of dodgy knees, and two reliable stand-ins; the back row has yet to evolve into a unit ,and to be honest I don't think Kiss believes in units, roles and teamwork .

Someone made the point he thought the team looked unfit coming off the field --- moron
-- if a player of a defeated team comes off the pitch full of the joys of spring -fresh as a daisy --- I'd kick his ar-e to Kingdom come --- the dejected look comes with defeated.

To be honest when I saw the group at the beginning of the season I did not expect Ulster to be going in to the last match at the top of the group. It had the appearance of a group where all Teams looked capable of winning their home matches and with the half back changes imposed on Ulster at the start of the season I considered Ulster could be vulnerable at Home.

I stated last week that Wasps would be different to La Rochelle and capable of exposing Ulster by going wide .

Wasps when playing inside the "RED ZONE " -- within 10 meters of the line played and intelligent game -- Passing the ball back and running from deep , inviting Ulster to be caught off side and making the gain line at pace. Ulster on the other hand kept trying to take a flat ball at pace , putting themselves under pressure - getting man and ball --and failing to expose any offside that might have been happening.

NB at least twice the referee called advantage for the Wasps inside the red zone . Once he calls advantage the defenders know no matter how the opposition foul up be after 1 phase or 20 the whistle freak is going to give the penalty and the opposition get another chance to put on the pressure inside the RED ZONE with the possiblity of a penalty try, if the ref is so minded.

Away from Home -- the home team can "milk" the a referee -- and it is harder to get the off side calls away from home unless you expose the opposition --which you won't do with flat passes.

And Ulster lost the match because they failed to convert the opportunities they created into points and they did create opportunities but played the wrong game having made them .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gerald the Mole wrote:This may be a batshît crazy idea. But maybe we should aspire to be like Wasps, with their Magnificent Stadium and Hotel.

Then we could be on the road to world domination .
We are still trying to be Sarries..... apparently Logie has had a love in with them for years
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Any chance of scrapping the band?

Speaking of Bands, did I hear Montpellier playing the Sash?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Sorry for repeating...

I reckon that Blackrock College train with more intensity than Ulster which in part translates to a school side with better understanding how the game is to be played and also better prepared to take the physicality of the week-end game.. we of course have more coffee shops per player that any other Pro 14 team.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:Sorry for repeating...

I reckon that Blackrock College train with more intensity than Ulster which in part translates to a school side with better understanding how the game is to be played and also better prepared to take the physicality of the week-end game.. we of course have more coffee shops per player that any other Pro 14 team.
To be fair. Leinster players are usually at uni and own a number of pubs

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Any chance of scrapping the band?

Speaking of Bands, did I hear Montpellier playing the Sash?

I suspect you are mixing up the sash with roll out the barrel. Thought their repertoire was ghastly, mainly Lionel muck.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.