Season Over

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Season Over

Post by Big-al »

Call average players, average. Timoney, Reidy, Ah You, McCall, and especially Treadwell aren't good enough to start at this level. Treadwell especially has been a huge let down, bordering on useless in the tight.

Without blaming everything on the coaches, I don't think we've improved this season under them. The pack certainly have regressed (also down to personnel), the backs (Stockdale individual brilliance aside) have looked rudderless and they look unclear of our tactics. We have been turned over far too many times under Les Kiss, he clearly wants us to play a wide game and to commit as few to the breakdown as possible, but it has proven to be unsuccessful. We are not playing in the Super rugby competition.

Next season doesn't look like it will be any more successful. Ulster need to develop the likes of O'Toole, McBurney, Dalton and a few of the underage internationals in the backrow, because a lot of the current pack of forwards aren't good currently, and don't have the ability to be good in the future.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Big-al wrote:Call average players, average. Timoney, Reidy, Ah You, McCall, and especially Treadwell aren't good enough to start at this level. Treadwell especially has been a huge let down, bordering on useless in the tight.
Timoney has been nothing short of excellent.
Reidy I have a lot of time for, he's not an 8 but can more than perform when all others around him are up to scratch.

Treadwell is a kid playing ahead of schedule. Don't think many 22 year olds playing second row have a few caps for a tier 1 nation under their belts. Paul O'Connell not capped until 23.

Shocking post.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Big-al wrote:Call average players, average. Timoney, Reidy, Ah You, McCall, and especially Treadwell aren't good enough to start at this level. Treadwell especially has been a huge let down, bordering on useless in the tight.
Timoney has been nothing short of excellent.
Reidy I have a lot of time for, he's not an 8 but can more than perform when all others around him are up to scratch.

Treadwell is a kid playing ahead of schedule. Not sure how many 22 year old second row that have a few caps for a tier 1 nation under their belt.

Shocking post.
Absolutely. I'm more than happy to see reidy and timoney ahead of Henry on the team sheet with rea following not far behind. Chris has been a legend for the club but he was woeful today when he came on and doesn't have the breakdown impact that he used to. Time and tide and all that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

1. Catch the ball.
2. Hold onto the ball once you've caught it.
3. One way or another, give the ball to a bloke wearing the same colour of shirt.
:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Vanhelsing wrote:We need to wise up and win something ffs getting boring now
100%
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Treadwell will be nothing more than a squad player for Ulster, he has been very poor for Ulster this seasonand towards the end of last season, along with others.

BTW, lots of locks get capped at 22 years old nowadays. James Ryan got capped before he played for Leinster, Ireland have little depth at lock to shout about & It'll take an injury crises before he wins any more caps. In fact, he has slipped behind O'Connor for me. Munster selected a 20 year old lock a few weeks back, who looked a brute of a man. Even Dalton has looked very impressive, and he is 19. Brodie Retallick won World player of the year as a 23 year old, 22 isn't that young for a player nowadays.

Reidy wasn't playing 8 today, he was playing 7 and was part of a backrow that got totally outplayed by a 20 year old.

Timoney is too small to be a number 8 at this level.

If all these Ulster forwards are highly regarded by yourself, how on earth do you explain some of the hammerings they have taken in recent weeks. Take Henderson and Best out of that pack today and it was essentially a Ravens pack. The talent isn't there currently, especially when you compare it with other teams like Glasgow, Leinster and the Scarlets in the pro 14 alone.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I'm not saying Ulster have hidden talent not being picked, but at least Matty Rea has a bit of grunt about him. Ulster just don't have the talent up front to compete at this level. It's that simple. Cunningham needs to sign a brute of a lock to play alongside Henderson, hope that Coetzee stays fit next season to provide some power in the backrow and pray that Moore and Murphy turn out to be very shrewd signings, otherwise, we'll get knocked out at the pool stages again next season.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

jean valjean wrote:Give the youngsters a chance. Lyttle, mcphillips, rea and timoney deserve a run till the end of the season. The kiss experiment has failed and the longer he stays the longer it will take to get over.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
I'm with this. They've all shown plenty of heart and skill, let them have their head and learn from the experience.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

A team to compete at ERC level has to be the majority of Internationals or players knocking at the door to play international rugby , go through our 23 yesterday , how many are in that category ? I would even doubt that on yesterday's performance Best is in that group, not knocking him at all, he also had a performance below international standard.

Anyway, better days ahead , of that I am sure.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

If, and it’s a massive if, the nippers were given loads of game time for the remains of this woeful season, some sort of pact is needed from all concerned not to get on their backs as soon as they get a few tankings, which they would.

I’m not even contemplating it happening because the most important thing at Spanners is not success on the pitch and certainly not future success, it’s about crowd numbers in the here and now.

It cannot have escaped the attention of even the stupidest amongst us that yesterday a pack would have helped but by the living Jesus, so would an outhalf. Maybe CL was caught up in trying to deliver in his last game but he was woeful. Great fella, I wish him nothing but good things but god I hope there is no plan for the longer term. Man is a centre.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Moley, I dont see it. Anyone with any sense at the end of their contract will exit this farrago. We're 2 0r 3years away even with a root and branch rebuild now.
Shockingly stupid stuff handing Wasps exactly the field position they needed time and again to execute their simple game plan.

Same old mistakes and tactics. Almost every Wasps attack had a 2-3 man overlap due to us being set too defensively narrow yet again. Week in week out the same thing and it doesnt change.

I agree with Al on some of his points. Treadwell has stalled definitely and some of our cubs are not progressing beyond their initial promise season after season. We don't produce James Ryans or Jack O donoghues. Thats down to coaching imo.

There was also a shameful lack of leadership yesterday, and the die was cast and the result totally predictable after 5 min when we knew which Ulster team had turned up.

The buck starts with Kiss, Logan and Peel, although Jonno doesn't get off Scott free either, although Im reticent given his previous genuine pedigree and the unknown level of Kiss's tinkering. Some of the senior players are also culpable, including Rory.

My one disagreement is ref Timoney- he's not a light 8 but a 7 imo.
Exterminate all rational thought
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gerald the Mole wrote:A team to compete at ERC level has to be the majority of Internationals or players knocking at the door to play international rugby , go through our 23 yesterday , how many are in that category ? I would even doubt that on yesterday's performance Best is in that group, not knocking him at all, he also had a performance below international standard.

Anyway, better days ahead , of that I am sure.
Yes Ger, better days indeed..... but will they come every blue moon as usual or might we sometimes string six or seven together? That is the real question.

The other “real question” is what will happen with NIQs next season? A Marcell miracle seems unlikely, did we sign Deysel for a year or two? Can we pay Hond to just fück off somewhere and stop being our biggest ever waste of a contract. Boys oh but we need some serious grunt in alongside Marty and Jordi.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Kiss wont take the risk as he needs to save his job. Go with McPhillips and lets have at it. But it needs to be backed with quality coaching of the kids and the current backroom team are not to be trusted with them. Almost every cub bar Stockdale has went backwards or stalled.
IRFU if they're serious about Ulster, needs Lancaster, Farrell, Feek etc uo
P at Ulster asap and feck Kiss's pride. The man is a bluffer and buffoon. As for Malone, what's his job spec again?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Next years pack, if injury free from our current squad or new signings?

CB RB MM
IH AOC
JM MC SR

subs KMc, RH WH, KT, CH, JD , MR A McB NT

Is that good enough if all fit ( doubtful) and avoiding the ravages of time? We' re at least 4 players short even if all are fit and available.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Next years pack, if injury free from our current squad or new signings?

CB RB MM
IH AOC
JM MC SR

subs KMc, RH WH, KT, CH, JD , MR A McB NT

Is that good enough if all fit ( doubtful) and avoiding the ravages of time? We' re at least 4 players short even if all are fit and available.
Is Black under contract?
I'm under the impression he was out of contract in June last year and we gave him a 1.year emergency extension as the Hond was dung

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk