Season Over

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Season Over

Post by Cornerfleg »

Court adjourned ... Judge has an ACL injury....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cornerfleg wrote:Are there odds up on the outcome ... can it be "kwiffed" or is that part of the prosecution evidence?
Might be worth a quick check on the number of these cases thrown out in 2018 already.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

BaggyTrousers wrote:If, and it’s a massive if, the nippers were given loads of game time for the remains of this woeful season, some sort of pact is needed from all concerned not to get on their backs as soon as they get a few tankings, which they would.

I’m not even contemplating it happening because the most important thing at Spanners is not success on the pitch and certainly not future success, it’s about crowd numbers in the here and now.

It cannot have escaped the attention of even the stupidest amongst us that yesterday a pack would have helped but by the living Jesus, so would an outhalf. Maybe CL was caught up in trying to deliver in his last game but he was woeful. Great fella, I wish him nothing but good things but god I hope there is no plan for the longer term. Man is a centre.
I think you're being a bit harsh on CL yesterday Baggy. He wasn't getting great service, Cooney needed to take on a lot more IMO, very mucky conditions underfoot and Wasps defence were in CL's face pretty sharpish all day long. Yeah, true enough he's not the type of 10 that can manage a game in the best of conditions, but playing catch up rugby in a cup match in those conditions with a weak pack, against a team growing in confidence as the match went on, meant it was extremely difficult for him to influence the game. The only thing that might've worked was accurate Doak ball if we got our hands on the ball at all.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Given --as i have stated previously a malfunctioning unconnected back row and the enforced changes at Half Back ; I to be honest , did not expect great things of this season ,and with the loss of form of Bowe and Trimble , the early injury to Gilroy a dour outlook was more assured .

Thus defeats to like of Leinster ,Wasps and even Connaught away came as no great surprise the sense of disappoint is not the defeats as such it in the size of those defeats and in the nature of those defeats.

CL had one major failing -- he could not get any length on his kick should it be from hand or a penalty . That failing has meant there has been less "Doakball" out of defence but trying to run or move the ball up field using your forwards can be a lot of effort for little gain especially when there are few recognised ball carriers in the pack.

McPhillips showed some nice touches yesterday but there was also evidence of inexperience
but like Jackson he needs advice on how to improve and then work at his game .

Jackson only improved by missing out on U 20 or 21 Games in the summer and staying at home practicing. He also had the benefit of an experienced scrum half with a long pass to protect him but it may have meant little without him developing his skill set.

There are those forget Jackson started in the European Cup final against Leinster and had a bit of a "mare ".

The coaching staff have a choice to make now go for European qualification and build for next year or play for the Pro14 playoffs . Personally I see little advantage at this time playing for the play offs when leinster,Munster, Glasgow and the Scarlets are clearly stronger than Ulster at the moment.

Play to win at Home and experiment away giving younger players experience , normally if going to play for the playoffs I would not experiment away from home.

The Professional Committee now have the decision to make do they inform Kiss that he will not get an extension to his existing contract and he should start looking for another post and make that decision known publicly to ease the pressure on the coaching team and players.

Having been so informed he (Kiss ) can then decide either to resign or see out is current contract.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Given --as i have stated previously a malfunctioning unconnected back row and the enforced changes at Half Back ; I to be honest , did not expect great things of this season ,and with the loss of form of Bowe and Trimble , the early injury to Gilroy a dour outlook was more assured .

Thus defeats to like of Leinster ,Wasps and even Connaught away came as no great surprise the sense of disappoint is not the defeats as such it in the size of those defeats and in the nature of those defeats.

CL had one major failing -- he could not get any length on his kick should it be from hand or a penalty . That failing has meant there has been less "Doakball" out of defence but trying to run or move the ball up field using your forwards can be a lot of effort for little gain especially when there are few recognised ball carriers in the pack.

McPhillips showed some nice touches yesterday but there was also evidence of inexperience
but like Jackson he needs advice on how to improve and then work at his game .

Jackson only improved by missing out on U 20 or 21 Games in the summer and staying at home practicing. He also had the benefit of an experienced scrum half with a long pass to protect him but it may have meant little without him developing his skill set.

There are those forget Jackson started in the European Cup final against Leinster and had a bit of a "mare ".

The coaching staff have a choice to make now go for European qualification and build for next year or play for the Pro14 playoffs . Personally I see little advantage at this time playing for the play offs when leinster,Munster, Glasgow and the Scarlets are clearly stronger than Ulster at the moment.

Play to win at Home and experiment away giving younger players experience , normally if going to play for the playoffs I would not experiment away from home.

The Professional Committee now have the decision to make do they inform Kiss that he will not get an extension to his existing contract and he should start looking for another post and make that decision known publicly to ease the pressure on the coaching team and players.

Having been so informed he (Kiss ) can then decide either to resign or see out is current contract.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

For those who have rum on ignore

He wants to play the big players at home and experiment away ...

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cornerfleg wrote:Court adjourned ... Judge has an ACL injury....
That made me Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:For those who have rum on ignore

Also think Kiss should not have his contract renewed. Controversial
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Russ wrote:For those who have rum on ignore

Also think Kiss should not have his contract renewed. Controversial
His original idea too
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Getting the kids to play and develop within a system is one thing, you can train them to execute better and buy into what the system will achieve if they play their parts. Sending them out under Kiss isn't probably going to achieve very much at all
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:Wonder did the thing we cannot discuss begin today?
Court is in session.

Pip in the gallery.
No one single mention on either name in the past 24 hours outside of the Donald articles

UR doing very well to suppress

How long will it last?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Kiss wont take the risk as he needs to save his job. Go with McPhillips and lets have at it. But it needs to be backed with quality coaching of the kids and the current backroom team are not to be trusted with them. Almost every cub bar Stockdale has went backwards or stalled.
IRFU if they're serious about Ulster, needs Lancaster, Farrell, Feek etc uo
P at Ulster asap and feck Kiss's pride. The man is a bluffer and buffoon. As for Malone, what's his job spec again?
CI... I said this a while back Kiss is playing to save his job so it is one match at a time and feck any long term issues they can be sorted next season.. He is now trying everything in his power and has been since before Christmas to save his own reputation as a coach.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Under the new system, automatic Euro qualification and making the playoffs are tied together. Top 3 in each conference etc. If Ulster stay in 3rd, would be travelling to Limerick/Bloemfontein for a playoff game. There is a back door route into Europe via a separate playoff if you fail to finish in the Top 3.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

At least Russ it better than no idea
And in fact totally ignores several other points

Don’t play for the play offs
Get busy coaching McPhillips
Put Kiss on notice ( publicly)

Those haunting Logan fail to realise he is an employee like a Department head in the Civil Service — he can advise he can recommend but he can not decide .
Hiring and Firing at the end of the week is finally the responsibility of the Committee .

At the moment as pointed out Coachspeak is a cloudy load of cliches failing to identify anything other than short term goals without any detail how a change in fortunes will be achieved and failure to face the fact that while many can accept defeat it is the margin of that defeat which is totally unacceptable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:Just catching up here

Now that made me chuckle BangorBoy ... excellent work!

Comical Logie!
Credit where it’s due BANGOR Bay, good work. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.