Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Replacement 10

Post by ColinM »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:At least Leinster are willing to kick up a fuss when being fecked over

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
We kicked up a fuss and got nowhere. Munster kicked up a fuss and got nowhere. This will test the theory that Leinster get what they want.
We did not kick up too much of a fuss about anything; that much is certain.

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

ColinM wrote:At least Leinster are willing to kick up a fuss when being fecked over

Only positive.

Remember when Ruan was for the good of the national team.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Correction: just seen KOTH's post. Would be incredibly short sighted if he left.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

We kicked up a fuss and got nowhere. Munster kicked up a fuss and got nowhere. This will test the theory that Leinster get what they want.
We did not kick up too much of a fuss about anything; that much is certain.

We fought tooth and nail to keep Ruan.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

From what I hear that is down to interpretation

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ColinM wrote:From what I hear that is down to interpretation

Interpret away.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Replacement 10

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:Correction: just seen KOTH's post. Would be incredibly short sighted if he left.
Agree.

Heard it before the trial was finished so things might of changed. Mind you a lot of articles you read talk about Lowry instead of McPhillips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Eggs wrote:If it happens it needs to be on a 2 year contract minimum.
In fact I don’t think we should ever really be handing out one years (with the odd exception like Terblanche) contracts or extensions. If they aren’t willing to stay for a minimum of 2 then we don’t want them. If they aren’t clearly good enough that it’s worth a two year deal then we don’t want them.
Have you considered the rare situation where the player may only want a year because for a variety of reasons he may consider his bargaining position may be better next year?

Just asking. It does happen, for example, if a coach is not performing and may be on his bike, your fortune/chance of selection may improve with a new man.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I. Elieve Solly has signed wee fat Dunkie Weir for Worcester, I do hope we keep McPhillips, we need as much strength as possible and given the circumstances, the lad has done pretty well when thrown in to sink or swim.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Let me express my opinion of Carberry another way against a decent back row he is an injury waiting to happen. And professional rugby ( bar Ulster ) is not short of decent back rows .

Like both Humphry's he will become a defensive liability and only influence a result in one in five games,if that. The English back row treated him with contempt and after his stunt against Fiji their back row nearly killed him .

He has an eye for a gap but most of the games I have seen since the Fiji game -- gaps have been few and while he's looking for the gap, he'll someday get hit hard.

And he has a poor boot on him when kicking from hand, out of defence, and Ulster suffer if the forwards are expected to play the ball up field with a damp ball.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:Let me express my opinion of Carberry another way against a decent back row he is an injury waiting to happen. And professional rugby ( bar Ulster ) is not short of decent back rows .

Like both Humphry's he will become a defensive liability and only influence a result in one in five games,if that. The English back row treated him with contempt and after his stunt against Fiji their back row nearly killed him .

He has an eye for a gap but most of the games I have seen since the Fiji game -- gaps have been few and while he's looking for the gap, he'll someday get hit hard.

And he has a poor boot on him when kicking from hand, out of defence, and Ulster suffer if the forwards are expected to play the ball up field with a damp ball.
He was nailed twice against Ulster last season.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Was it consensual ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Carberry has not been especially convincing to me this season but he has had tiny amounts of game time and been shunted from out half to full back and back again.
The fact remains that Joe Schmidt rates him and picks him as his number 2 to Sexton. Joe's opinion deserves some respect. He has, er, some competence in these matters.
Who can say that playing week in and week out with Ulster would not be the road forward for both Joey and Ulster?

We would miss him at Leinster and I have no doubt that Joey would find it hard to move from the environment of a reasonably successful club to one that is struggling a little bit this year. But there's nothing wrong with getting out of one's comfort zone.

We still have Ross Byrne and young Frawley coming up. We even have Byrne minor who has been on the u20s. I would hazard that Connacht have a major weakness at 10 and one of our other 10s should move there too.
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

If Graham Henry rates Carbery that'll do for me.
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

prawnsarnies wrote:If Graham Henry rates Carbery that'll do for me.
There is no doubt he is a talented boy with great potential. He has had a totally wasted season in terms of his development, but if he doesn’t see that himself then he won’t have the right attitude if he moves to Ulster.

I’d rather we used the last NIQ slot to bring in an experienced 10 with some leadership qualities. Not sure there are any available though and beggars can’t be choosers.