Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Replacement 10

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Bit quiet on the injury front but I reckon Louis will be back in October.
Are you a doctor?
from what I've been told Louis will be lucky to be back......and No I'm not a doctor but I know someone who is....
Same injury as POC ?
Yep but worse. He'll be some man to attempt pro rugby again.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

promsandwich wrote:
Columbo wrote:
promsandwich wrote:Always had my suspicions that the 'Leinster get want they want' line was something to do with a big chip on our shoulders about how badly Kiss was doing, Ruan having to leave and the general downward spiral at Ulster. However today I learnt a few things:

1. Jantjies had agreed to come but was blocked by IRFU.
2. UR were also in talks with two other tens - blocked by IRFU.
3. Ruan had agreed to come back to be back up 10, or play 15, or anywhere else but 9 ( except in case of emergencies ) - blocked by IRFU.
4. Leinster are allowed to sign Joe Tomane - an overseas player who is:

(a) Not top class;
(b) Clearly going to block the path of a number of talented players at Leinster;
(c) 'Replacing' Nacewa who it must be remembered was allowed to leave and come back to play in positions when he was clearly blocking the path of a number of young IQ players and had already exceeded the time permitted to stay for overseas players.

Added to this must be the fact that Fardy was signed as a 2nd row, apparently, and played mostly in the back row for the ladies.

The obvious conclusions from above are as follows:

1. The IRFU are a shower of cnuts.
2. The IRFU do not apply their 'rules' about overseas players to the ladies.
3. The IRFU don't give a fcuk about Ulster.
4. We will have to survive on with the kids we have coming through.
5. I am happy with 4. above.

:red:

Also forget about Gibson-Park and Lowe :roll:
Yes it's frustrating to hear of us being knocked back on the out-half hunt, but my guess is this dates back to the period when the IRFU were pushing the Carberry/Byrne to Ulster plan. That hasn't panned out, not our fault. I still expect us to sign a good NIQ 10. (Jantjies for one is still on the market)

The only fly in the ointment is if they are now trying to push one of Munster's 10s up to us - to work through them: Bleyendaal is a sick note, also a bit flaky, Hanrahan isn't very good at 10, no harm to him - in fairness I'd be surprised if the IRFU tried to force the issue with one of them, and I think we would push back. Johnston is a genuine up and coming talent, and is probably the mid-term answer for Munster at 10 - I think Munster would (rightly) throw up on him being asked to consider a move, and I don't think the IRFU would push that. That leaves Keatley, who would be a decent signing - but given the issues with Bleyendaal/Hanrahan, I can imagine Munster wanting to hold onto him for at least another season. I think though this is the most likely move if one takes place at all..

Interesting that if they're talking to any of the Munster 10s at all, they're doing it very low profile - they have learnt their lesson about trying to flex their muscles from the Carberry debacle..
Sorry but there will be no NIQ 10.
See UDI thread
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Interesting that if they're talking to any of the Munster 10s at all, they're doing it very low profile - they have learnt their lesson about trying to flex their muscles from the Carberry debacle..
Maybe also the McFarland debacle... oh look we have a coach but I ain't telling you because it is a secret only for D4 press to print his name two days later..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Columbo wrote:
promsandwich wrote:Sorry but there will be no NIQ 10.
how sure are you of that......?
Reasonably confident. Very good source.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Be happy with that. Heard any other rumours?

Will they be strengthening the squad with a NIQ in our other positions of need?....
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

promsandwich wrote:
Columbo wrote:
I’ve heard we are in the market and will have a SH 10 next season..

(I wouldn’t say I was anything more than reasonably confident in the source - but certainly makes sense to me, can’t imagine that we, or Dan, would be at all confident going into a new season with our current half-backs)
..one more thing
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Columbo wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
Columbo wrote:
I’ve heard we are in the market and will have a SH 10 next season..

(I wouldn’t say I was anything more than reasonably confident in the source - but certainly makes sense to me, can’t imagine that we, or Dan, would be at all confident going into a new season with our current half-backs)
There were a couple of decent 10s available a month ago and we didn't sign one.
Are there any currently available?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

TBH I think we would be better if Bryn offered a press interview in which he stated that the new head coach is aware of the squad he is inheriting, and wants to work with it for a period of time before assessing where and how to invest in NIQ talent to best effect.

He could go on to say that the supply of NIQ talent is likely to be greater post RWC and that we would get a better choice and value for our supporters £ by holding off at this time.

It would give us another few months to jettison the Hond and find out if Dan can create a decent run of form for Derv or if Marcell has any rugby in his knees at all.

Its an alternative way of saying, we're sacrificing next year but will be brill the year after.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

What? Like you mean tell the actual truth? Like tell the truth to season ticket holders and supporters? It’s an interesting concept, but I don’t think it’ll catch on.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Tender wrote:What? Like you mean tell the actual truth? Like tell the truth to season ticket holders and supporters? It’s an interesting concept, but I don’t think it’ll catch on.

Thats not the truth, the truth is we don't know when Dan is coming, what he wants/needs but are currently putting all our efforts into finding a new sparky, and once he has been replaced we will be straight onto the phone to Constable to see if he has any Daves on the books looking a new farm in Ballymena
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Snipe Watson wrote:There were a couple of decent 10s available a month ago and we didn't sign one.
Are there any currently available?
I think there are plenty of options still available - loads of business still getting done in France and stuff, also what seems to be happening a lot these days is French sides talking to players and sometimes signing pre-contract agreements, and then changing their mind / going after someone else etc. So even players who are supposedly signed for French sides can end up back on the market - recent example Arhip, who's now at Cardiff!
..one more thing
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Is Constable not going to be in a new job soon ?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

nonplussed wrote:Is Constable not going to be in a new job soon ?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
ffs don’t even joke...
..one more thing
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

So Nucifora now not ruling out the two players returning to "a province".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

shamalicious wrote:So Nucifora now not ruling out the two players returning to "a province".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Link?
FIRFU have shat themselves at Joey being second 10 going into a RWC

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk