Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
kingofthehill
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by kingofthehill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Cockatrice wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
BR wrote:
Gary wrote:


That suggests we have 2 tactics. Have I been missing something? Unless, of course, you count the "knocking the ball on" one.
No the other one is the standard U13 game plan. 'Give the ball to Charles*'

* Jacob, Luke, ... Delete as appropriate, depending on who is the player with the most individual flair in the current backline.
Number 1 is surely give the ball to Stu. How will the opposition stop him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our one and tested game plan give it to STU and let him bash up the middle.. in saying that I actually think there is more to his game but that somewhere after his first breakthrough season the offload was coached out of him. I have presumed since that he was simply playing like he was instructed and/or coached to play.. One dimensional YES but not all his fault.
Hmmm quite possibly but he doesn’t have the skills of Farrell for example.

Not what I want in a 12 but that’s just my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30215
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm

If it hadn't occurred to people before now, being horsed by Scaaaaaaaaaaaalets yutes and the simply marvellous Taig O'Byron tells us that this is not back luck, bad refs, injuries or any other lame excuse, this is the reality, we are Treviso standard, can win a few games, even the odd big one, but essentially we are dung.

Losing:

Payne
Jackson
Olding
Bowe
Bad Back Black

and seeing little or nothing of

Hendy
Rory
Stockie Cubey

with players declining

GLU
Chad

with players who should simply not have a contract

Diack
Deysel
Hond
Herbst (mainly in his case due to apparent lack of interest)

and that is just the Saffers

add in local & other shyte with Irish antecedents

p
Shanners
2 Metre Peter - sorry Lionel
Rodney Ah FFFS
Diddies
Treadwell
Clive
Big Licence
John Andrew
Jonny feckin' Simpson
and many more

Then look at yutes with potential

M'Phillips
Stewart
Lyttle
Rea
Timoney
Jones

and possibly

Curtis
O'Hagan
Lowry
Hume
O'Toole
Dalton
Hall
Kane
McBurney

But then you realise you need a core of experience and strength around that and what have you left

Cooney
Cave
NHL
McCloskey
Dublin Strangler
Gilroy
Reidy
Pete Nelson
Ludik
Herring

Well, based on that lot, we may be up to contesting against Cardiff, Embra Treviso, Cheetahs perhaps and remain above Zebre, Dragons, Kings & the current shambles called Ospreys.

The only hope Ulster has of redemption in any shortish term, is that Marcell has had a magic knee op & that Jordi & Marty can turn the pack into something a good bit better than weak as water. A huge unbreakable second row would be good too, Taig O'Byron would have been simply super, but sure, at least we couldn't be arsed talking to him.

Outlook: bleak.


Next trophy expected before the 2050s, WD may take longer. :?
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Farrell is a much better player than NHL. People want big Stu out and Luke is still the messiah.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm officially calling next season as over now too. As Baggy lays it all out like that, it is clear to see we're h e l l E D!!

The following season will be our year, if we do the following:

Blood the nippers.
Get golfwanker to give us some cash, currently piling up in his bank A/C doing sweet FA.
Use the money as a war chest to sign a world class prop, second row and backrow.
Sign world class 10/12.
Deport the band.
Win pro 14.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Cockatrice » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:If it hadn't occurred to people before now, being horsed by Scaaaaaaaaaaaalets yutes and the simply marvellous Taig O'Byron tells us that this is not back luck, bad refs, injuries or any other lame excuse, this is the reality, we are Treviso standard, can win a few games, even the odd big one, but essentially we are dung.

Losing:

Payne
Jackson
Olding
Bowe
Bad Back Black

and seeing little or nothing of

Hendy
Rory
Stockie Cubey

with players declining

GLU
Chad

with players who should simply not have a contract

Diack
Deysel
Hond
Herbst (mainly in his case due to apparent lack of interest)

and that is just the Saffers

add in local & other shyte with Irish antecedents

p
Shanners
2 Metre Peter - sorry Lionel
Rodney Ah FFFS
Diddies
Treadwell
Clive
Big Licence
John Andrew
Jonny feckin' Simpson
and many more

Then look at yutes with potential

M'Phillips
Stewart
Lyttle
Rea
Timoney
Jones

and possibly

Curtis
O'Hagan
Lowry
Hume
O'Toole
Dalton
Hall
Kane
McBurney

But then you realise you need a core of experience and strength around that and what have you left

Cooney
Cave
NHL
McCloskey
Dublin Strangler
Gilroy
Reidy
Pete Nelson
Ludik
Herring

Well, based on that lot, we may be up to contesting against Cardiff, Embra Treviso, Cheetahs perhaps and remain above Zebre, Dragons, Kings & the current shambles called Ospreys.

The only hope Ulster has of redemption in any shortish term, is that Marcell has had a magic knee op & that Jordi & Marty can turn the pack into something a good bit better than weak as water. A huge unbreakable second row would be good too, Taig O'Byron would have been simply super, but sure, at least we couldn't be arsed talking to him.

Outlook: bleak.


Next trophy expected before the 2050s, WD may take longer. :?
baggy .... the ripping of the ball out of Timothy's grasp and scoring that try summed up just how soft our forwards are and the need for a hard as nails (non Saffa) recking machine... nut then again we are all stocked in the 2nd row.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU

Big-al
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4250
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Big-al » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm

It has to be said, Cunningham has being doing a poor job, has he ever made a shrewd signing?


His interview last week, didn;t sound great, especially is attitude towards homegrown players and youth rugby, instead of trying to grow youth rugby, already seems destined to failure and signing Leinster rejects?

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Cockatrice » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Big-al wrote:It has to be said, Cunningham has being doing a poor job, has he ever made a shrewd signing?


His interview last week, didn;t sound great, especially is attitude towards homegrown players and youth rugby, instead of trying to grow youth rugby, already seems destined to failure and signing Leinster rejects?
Bryn's has been the man in charge of all professional rugby decisions since 2014 so yes I think it is time that he must also be brought into the so-called re structuring review... Indeed has that actually been announced or is it simply another urban myth that has now found a foothold...

He was as I understand the man responsible for the re-structuring in 2014.. and that is where we are today.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Bart S » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Even under Clarke our pack performed better last season.

Why have so many of our guys regressed this season?

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Bart S » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Dave wrote:Farrell is a much better player than NHL. People want big Stu out and Luke is still the messiah.
Marshall may not be the messiah, but the away games against Leinster and Wasps where we created zilch show that the alternatives do not perform any better in this team.

Farrell played very well yesterday, as has Marshall at times at international level (he was exceptional on the SA tour the summer before last). On current form Farrell is of course playing better but I would not write Luke off.

User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 22860
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Snipe Watson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:53 pm

I'll go out on a limb here, maybe not much of a limb really. McCloskey is a player of average ability. He is big, powerful and aggressive, he also has a good offloading game, but that's it. He's neither smart nor creative and some of our shortcomings come from his lack of guile.
IMO Luke is a better 12 than McCloskey. More creative, smarter and with greater variety.
For me, our best partnership, given current constraints, is Marshall and Cave.
#NotMyCountry

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Snipe Watson wrote:I'll go out on a limb here, maybe not much of a limb really. McCloskey is a player of average ability. He is big, powerful and aggressive, he also has a good offloading game, but that's it. He's neither smart nor creative and some of our shortcomings come from his lack of guile.
IMO Luke is a better 12 than McCloskey. More creative, smarter and with greater variety.
For me, our best partnership, given current constraints, is Marshall and Cave.
I agree that McCloskey is one dimensional. Nothing subtle. Could be a decent offloader but we don't play that way. He's not international quality. He gets a lot of unfair flack though, as it isn't always his call when he trucks it up the middle. The play is usually called by the 10.

I don't, however, think that Luke is remotely creative and he certainly is not a 12. He's too error prone now to even be considered by Joe. Great player on his day but he has struggled with consistency.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30215
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Big-al wrote:It has to be said, Cunningham has being doing a poor job, has he ever made a shrewd signing?


His interview last week, didn;t sound great, especially is attitude towards homegrown players and youth rugby, instead of trying to grow youth rugby, already seems destined to failure and signing Leinster rejects?
IN the words of an intelligent young lady from Parkland Florida, allow me to call >bs on that notion. Leinster are producing a level of young talent that may well be the strongest collectively in Europe.

The fact that they cannot keep them all is not only testimony to the numbers involved but also the desire for some to go elsewhere where they will get to play more than the occasional game, Conway to Munster, Moore to Wasps, Quiff to France as examples. The fact that a player leaves Mexico does not mean that player is not good enough for pro rugby, neither do all players "find" their mature game at the same age, remember Janny the Loop was mid-20s before breaking through & now, of course, he is the greatest player in Christendom.

I'd state with confidence that Conway is a considerably better player than Seven Nation Army/One Man Team Ferg M'Fadden which shows that Mexico gets most things right but by no means all........................... and also that Schmidtferbrains still clings hard to his BIY. Ferg over Conway is an outrage, albeit anything that weakens the Paddybastards is OK by me.

#FROFIRFUCs.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Bart S » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:30 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Big-al wrote:It has to be said, Cunningham has being doing a poor job, has he ever made a shrewd signing?


His interview last week, didn;t sound great, especially is attitude towards homegrown players and youth rugby, instead of trying to grow youth rugby, already seems destined to failure and signing Leinster rejects?
IN the words of an intelligent young lady from Parkland Florida, allow me to call >bs on that notion. Leinster are producing a level of young talent that may well be the strongest collectively in Europe.

The fact that they cannot keep them all is not only testimony to the numbers involved but also the desire for some to go elsewhere where they will get to play more than the occasional game, Conway to Munster, Moore to Wasps, Quiff to France as examples. The fact that a player leaves Mexico does not mean that player is not good enough for pro rugby, neither do all players "find" their mature game at the same age, remember Janny the Loop was mid-20s before breaking through & now, of course, he is the greatest player in Christendom.

I'd state with confidence that Conway is a considerably better player than Seven Nation Army/One Man Team Ferg M'Fadden which shows that Mexico gets most things right but by no means all........................... and also that Schmidtferbrains still clings hard to his BIY. Ferg over Conway is an outrage, albeit anything that weakens the Paddybastards is OK by me.

#FROFIRFUCs.
Neither Kearney nor McFadden did anything yesterday to convince anyone they are worthy of a spot in the team/squad. Not that i am that surprised in either case.

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30215
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Cockatrice wrote:
Big-al wrote:It has to be said, Cunningham has being doing a poor job, has he ever made a shrewd signing?


His interview last week, didn;t sound great, especially is attitude towards homegrown players and youth rugby, instead of trying to grow youth rugby, already seems destined to failure and signing Leinster rejects?
Bryn's has been the man in charge of all professional rugby decisions since 2014 so yes I think it is time that he must also be brought into the so-called re structuring review... Indeed has that actually been announced or is it simply another urban myth that has now found a foothold...

He was as I understand the man responsible for the re-structuring in 2014.. and that is where we are today.

It may not have been officially announced though Bryn has talked about it, but it is actively underway.......... or so I'm toul'.

You may be correct though I think Bryn claimed for have come in after the last extensive review ........... this one is more extensive I understand, the last could best be summed up, not up summed, as inadequate in reach, focus and action.

If they don't get this right, most importantly with outside oversight and actually act on what is recommended Ulster will return deeper into the shadows never to reemerge into the sunlight.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by Bart S » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I'll go out on a limb here, maybe not much of a limb really. McCloskey is a player of average ability. He is big, powerful and aggressive, he also has a good offloading game, but that's it. He's neither smart nor creative and some of our shortcomings come from his lack of guile.
IMO Luke is a better 12 than McCloskey. More creative, smarter and with greater variety.
For me, our best partnership, given current constraints, is Marshall and Cave.
I agree that McCloskey is one dimensional. Nothing subtle. Could be a decent offloader but we don't play that way. He's not international quality. He gets a lot of unfair flack though, as it isn't always his call when he trucks it up the middle. The play is usually called by the 10.

I don't, however, think that Luke is remotely creative and he certainly is not a 12. He's too error prone now to even be considered by Joe. Great player on his day but he has struggled with consistency.

McCloskey is a primary carrier in large part due to the fact that we have so few others. He gets some stick on here and players like Farrell and Whitten look better, but then again they are playing in much better teams.

Post Reply