Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Congratulations to Jonathan Bradley of the Bellylaugh :salut: , even if most targets are either, in terms of Ulster Rugby, deceased or dead men walking, man journalists fear burning too many bridges, so the truth is seldom fully written.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 64848.html

From my own patchy knowledge and observations from the outside, he has hit most of the correct targets & even hinted about those lurking in shady corridors, a broad brush admittedly but there nonetheless.

If anyone can add to this, I'd like to hear it for this seems a very decent synopsis of the current disaster and why getting an appropriate fix will not be easy.

I also concur on Bryn, he starts with a big advantage, he was a favourite with the fans who had endless courage and who had much more to his game than some would have you believe. In general, he was still a reservoir of good will and frankly I see absolutely nobody else anywhere close to the situation who is likely to have the support of the disaster-struck support. He also more than most is happy to front up whilst others hide and he speaks more or less like a supporter.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Re: Oh look, the truth about Ulster

Post by Liz Fraser »

BOUT TIME!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Its obvious that Logan is on his way out. The lack of comment from him speaks volumes and the only issue is why it hasn't been announced. If he is hanging around in order to gas the 2 ungentlemen that is completely unacceptable. What other reason can there be?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

The PMC is one of the biggest probs. Some have been there or thereabouts since before the game went pro. Another was the vaunted Head Hunter who was charged with recruitment of the CEO and DoR...... ho hum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

It is open season on having a go at ulster at the minute as this article. Why is it coming out now? I’d say because there is no-one influential or of strength left at UR (other than Bryn whom he has excused by and large) and secondly results over the past few weeks have put a whole different perspective on the season. 6 weeks ago we were a game away from a quarter final spot in europe and with an opportunity to put some distance on edinbrugh in the league through a home game, which given our strong home record we would have expected to win. Would have been difficult for a journo to write this piece at that time given their obvious need for a close relationship with UR. In the same way i wouldn’t expect the Manchester Evening News to be writing hugely critical articles of Mourinho despite what many fans are saying, with the team 2nd in the keague and in europe.

Bryn is a good guy and is clearly hurting with how ulster have fallen. As Baggy says that will cut him some slack from the fanbase and rightly so. However in the murky world of Ulster rugby, where accountability seems to be a dirty word, it is difficult to know whether he is up to the job and if he has a role going forward, what that role should be. I would hope that the review should independently examine this as part of its remit. My fear with UR is that with Kiss gone, everything gets pinned on him, resulting in a change of personnel which may bring about some upturn, but would still be constrained by havnig people in place who are not up to the job.

If there is one useful thing Jonno can do for Ukster before he leaves it would be to input into the review. He is the only person currently at UR without a vested interest in its findings and having also worked at other successful clubs and seen their structures hopefully add some good input.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

two more entering into the home straight of the season without contracts in place for next year
Henderson and ........ Cave?
second marquee import playing just one game thanks to yet more substantial surgery
fans told a former All Black was signed only to be injured before he even arrived
There have been misfires in the market for sure - when one recent signing wasn't fit to play for the Ulster second string this season, the opposition coaches were heard expressing their disappointment having seen him in the reverse fixture
I've no issue with NIQs not being marquee signings, just ensure they have a history of being durable. Thinking of Pedrie Wannenburg, Franco Van der Merwe in recent years. Miles per gallon required from these squad fillers. Bringing in someone with an eye on finishing his career and looking a stepping stone into coaching would be no bad thing.
head coach Jono Gibbes, heading for the exit door due to what were described as family reasons.
All the best Jono, bon voyage! If you're not prepared to hold your hand up when your backs against the wall good luck in your next position wherever that may be. A new Director of Rugby if appointed will most likely want to bring in his own men, if Gibbes contract can be terminated via mutual consent then we've avoided a compensation event. Goodbye also Dwayne Peel, Aaron Dunden, Jonny Davis, Niall Malone and anyone else in the management setup I've left out. A culture change whether it turns out in the long run for better or for worse requires a complete removal of the entire current incumbents.
Tickets are priced based on categories, with top tier status given to top tier European competition. Quite how that equates to the same final price should Ulster find themselves in the Challenge Cup remains to be seen. A fight for another day perhaps.
But it's no doubt something that will come up when Bryn Cunningham faces a group of season ticket holders next week.
I would like URs reasoning for this also before renewing. Add to that the non announcement of a marquee signing which normally comes hand in hand with the renewals, I'm hoping the 400-500k is being spent on the best Director of Rugby / Head Coach the world has ever seen.

Why the two year renewal option? What is the major investment next year that requires this money up front? Is there not a fear this additional season ticket money will be spent in the first twelve months leaving us financially crippled for the 2nd season. Does Logan want to now financially ruin us also?
Bryn Cunningham faces a group of season ticket holders next week. Again, it's the same man left to face the music. It's a gut feeling, but it certainly doesn't seem as if the former full-back is to blame for the malaise.
Bryn will do for me, he's one of our own, talks like a fan and it's evident he has the clubs interests and not his own long term aspirations to the forefront.
but when Kiss made his exit, an Ulster statement read: "Operations Director Bryn Cunningham will manage the off-field operations of the professional team," with the implication being that had not previously always been the case.
Thanks for the clarity Bradders, hopefully that will exonerate Bryn from some of the mud being flung at him.
Less prone to waffle than most, his frankness post-match shows how much he's hurt by goings on - one only hopes he is given the freedom to be part of the solution. There remains a feeling that it's not him who should be facing the music.
LOGAN OUT, it's time for the banners all over the terraces. Hoping the rumours are true from what I've read here that he is in fact gone/going. He has created so many layers of management to put between himself and the issues it's disgustng. What is he now accountable for on a day to day basis that he can't put a pleb manager out to the wolves to answer questions?
Names like Tana Umaga and Daryl Gibson are already doing the rounds,
Snipes already summed it up, on knees over broken glass for McCall, would Piutaus 500k bring him back? Likewise Lancaster has pedigree for creating a conveyor belt of academy graduates.

I'll go as far to say that's the best article Bradley has penned.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

UlsterNo9 wrote:I'm hoping the 400-500k is being spent on the best Director of Rugby / Head Coach the world has ever seen.
What happens when we put everyone available into the algorithm and the UR computer inevitably says Les Kiss again lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

It’s about time the bel tel and other papers grew a set of balls.

To be fair,Bryn has to face the questions because there is no one left to do it and that includes Ligue.

Don’t feel Bryn warrants anymore time based on his signings.

Reconnect with the clubs.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Demented Mole has an interesting piece too:

https://dementedmole.com/2018/03/04/its ... #more-6745
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Refreshing article. Entirely coincidentally I am halfway through reading Tome English's book 'No Borders' that my son-in-law lent me, jeez how interesting to read the honesty of the aul hans from these parts: Gibson, Patterson, Irwin,Matthews, Carr, McCoy, Davidson etc etc, the Ulster dominance in the 80's, Davidson the first coach with a professional approach, great quotes ("when you tell an Ulster player to do something, he does it, the other guys, aye right maybe..") - commitment and pride. What has changed, I ask myself, is it part societal?

Said before, best crowds in the league, free stadium, the only professional NI based team in a major league, we should have it made. I've renewed my ST for the 18th time, I'm hanging in there, I'll be fcuked if I'll be away if and when they do turn this leaking ship around!
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

thecrouch wrote:Demented Mole has an interesting piece too:

Outstanding piece...
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Superb piece.

Can’t understand why the local journos haven’t done anything like that.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

kingofthehill wrote:

Superb piece.

Great read

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Jackie Brown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Superb piece.

Great read

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Must say very good piece, very accurate and pretty depressing. Hopefully the academy is starting to function, if we had that at least we would have a start on replacing some of our players.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 66360.html

Fanning jumping in. At least he throws some flack toward the firfu.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk