Bryn Live Blog

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Bryn Live Blog

Post by Snipe Watson »

Outside consultant being brought in, but he/she will report to the same committee.

Bryn couldn't be expected to respond in an way to the "if the structure works elsewhere, it must be the personnel" point. The feeling in the room however, was abundantly clear.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

richardt84 wrote:Bryn’s overview that started the night was honest and didn’t try to paper over any cracks. Referred to the squad and said there are 5 parts that make up the squad and referred to 4 in detail.
Over 30’s - These are the sort of guys you need in tough away games but we only have Rory Best in this category who is in our 23. He said unfortunately no one else who is over 30 is a regular part of the 23.
26-30 - There is a gap in the squad within this category. Injuries prevented a couple from making it while others e.g. Tommy Seymour are playing elsewhere.
NIQs - ‘disappointing’ was the word used. We need three top class players and while Charles has been brilliant we have been unlucky with Marcell. Didn’t mention Hond and Deysel in detail at this point but they were referred to later. Suggested that Hond was scouted exclusively on his Lions career as he was ineligible for Montpellier and after that Kings was only club available to him. Apparently he was part of a Lions scrum that dominated Super Rugby teams and that was the motivation for signing him. Injured at moment but knows he has to bring more.
Deysel wasn’t allowed by IRFU to remain with Munster who wanted to keep him. Idea was for him to bring 50 minutes of physicality to games which would provide younger players with chance to get game time. Like Hond knows more is expected.
Academy - plenty of players coming through and wants to see players with rugby brains coming through and cited Lowry as an example of this.
Referred to Ludik as everything he wants to see in an overseas signing and would have him in the team every week.

Night took a turn for the worse with questions and the claim that this night was scheduled 7 months ago with Logan not attending because they listened to fans and we want to know what’s happening on the pitch. Bryan generally very good and was honest throughout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok.. so being sensible for one moment. There are 5 parts to making up a squad.

1. On the over 30s.... So we only have one well two things whose fault is that and what age is Henry? oh and a third thing so what of the 200 club presumably Diack, Cave, smallp and Trimble don't they make the grade of being the sort of guys you need In away games (didn't include Bowe because he is retiring but could do.. but hey we only have one player in that category.

2. The 26-30's ... again whose fault is it that there is no planning strategy in place to fill these gaps..

3. NIQs are disappointing... again who's fault is the recruitment of NIQs?

4. Academy ... so Anderson and Campbell are doing a job then..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Joe Schmo wrote:
richardt84 wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:So only 2 ulster players on central contracts next year? I wonder who is missing out?.
I thought there was a reference to Payne having to get back playing in order to earn one leaving only two who I assumed to be Best and Henderson. Are the fourth and fifth current central contracts Trimble and Bowe?

so no PJ?
Don't open that can of worms. There'll be no decision on that until after the trial concludes.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

To tell the fans that this was planned 7momths ago is a disgrace, this was a rushed put together shambles, symbolic of were we are as a club. It will get worse, that's the reality. I like Bryn and he is an honest UlsterMan and I know he is hurting like the rest of us, Logan to go ASAP .
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Cockatrice wrote:
richardt84 wrote:Bryn’s overview that started the night was honest and didn’t try to paper over any cracks. Referred to the squad and said there are 5 parts that make up the squad and referred to 4 in detail.
Over 30’s - These are the sort of guys you need in tough away games but we only have Rory Best in this category who is in our 23. He said unfortunately no one else who is over 30 is a regular part of the 23.
26-30 - There is a gap in the squad within this category. Injuries prevented a couple from making it while others e.g. Tommy Seymour are playing elsewhere.
NIQs - ‘disappointing’ was the word used. We need three top class players and while Charles has been brilliant we have been unlucky with Marcell. Didn’t mention Hond and Deysel in detail at this point but they were referred to later. Suggested that Hond was scouted exclusively on his Lions career as he was ineligible for Montpellier and after that Kings was only club available to him. Apparently he was part of a Lions scrum that dominated Super Rugby teams and that was the motivation for signing him. Injured at moment but knows he has to bring more.
Deysel wasn’t allowed by IRFU to remain with Munster who wanted to keep him. Idea was for him to bring 50 minutes of physicality to games which would provide younger players with chance to get game time. Like Hond knows more is expected.
Academy - plenty of players coming through and wants to see players with rugby brains coming through and cited Lowry as an example of this.
Referred to Ludik as everything he wants to see in an overseas signing and would have him in the team every week.

Night took a turn for the worse with questions and the claim that this night was scheduled 7 months ago with Logan not attending because they listened to fans and we want to know what’s happening on the pitch. Bryan generally very good and was honest throughout.

1. On the over 30s.... So we only have one well two things whose fault is that and what age is Henry? oh and a third thing so what of the 200 club presumably Diack, Cave, smallp and Trimble don't they make the grade of being the sort of guys you need In away games (didn't include Bowe because he is retiring but could do.. but hey we only have one player in that category.

2. The 26-30's ... again whose fault is it that there is no planning strategy in place to fill these gaps..

In terms of the over 30s he was referring to a first choice 23 - I should have made that a bit more clear in my summary. He did mention Henry and others but in the context of not being regulars in a first choice 23. Cited the loss of Coetzee, Jackson and Payne for all of this season as being huge factors as well.

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote: The 26-30's ... again whose fault is it that there is no planning strategy in place to fill these gaps..
Not surprisingly he had no answer to that, but he didn't try to fudge or bullshit his way out of it either.
Last edited by Snipe Watson on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:Outside consultant being brought in, but he/she will report to the same committee.

Bryn couldn't be expected to respond in an way to the "if the structure works elsewhere, it must be the personnel" point. The feeling in the room however, was abundantly clear.
It would be funny is the consultancy was PWC wouldn't it?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

richardt84 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

In terms of the over 30s he was referring to a first choice 23 - I should have made that a bit more clear in my summary. He did mention Henry and others but in the context of not being regulars in a first choice 23. Cited the loss of Coetzee, Jackson and Payne for all of this season as being huge factors as well.

How regular dos Rory play for us...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Outside consultant being brought in, but he/she will report to the same committee.

There's a fair chance it will be.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:So no questions on the review? who was carrying it out? what its remit was? and who it was reporting to?
External , that's all the peasants need to know. Please tell me it was you CT that stormed out.
No I was stopped by the PSNI on the Cregagh Road and held for 45 minutes as I tried to get down...
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

There's a fair chance it will be.
Well if it is it says a lot about what UR want to make of it..
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote: The 26-30's ... again whose fault is it that there is no planning strategy in place to fill these gaps..
Not surprisingly he had no answer to that, but he didn't try to fudge or bullshit his way out of it either.
He did say that nobody came through in that era 'for whatever reason'; a couple of hopefully retired early. Nobody's fault.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

So I assume that we are brill again and everyone is rushing to buy two seasons worth of tickets because without that we would be broke...

Still can't figure if 3 key parts of the strategy for the club hasn't been functioning properly why no one is being held responsible... ah better leave that for the PWC review (if it is PWC it might be a bit in-house for some)

plus if the structures are the same for all then they will not find anything wrong with the structures.. as for it being the people well they don't seem to have the answers for that and no independent consultancy firm will report any different.
Last edited by Cockatrice on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:So no questions on the review? who was carrying it out? what its remit was? and who it was reporting to?
External , that's all the peasants need to know. Please tell me it was you CT that stormed out.
No I was stopped by the PSNI on the Cregagh Road and held for 45 minutes as I tried to get down...
Did they search your house while they were holding you? Check your laundry basket/spare room when you get in. Fleg's boxers were only the beginning!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
He did say that nobody came through in that era 'for whatever reason'; a couple of hopefully retired early. Nobody's fault.
He seemed to suggest that Tommy Seymour was the only one... whatever happened to him?