Jacob Stockdale

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jacob Stockdale

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Bart S wrote:Seem to recall a few people on here saying we should have let him go and kept Scholes a couple of seasons ago.

Whether by luck or skill UR got that one right!

Really pleased for the lad. Of course there will be ups and downs and he’ll be targetted in future but really good to see him doing so well.
You are no doubt correct Bart. The burden of expectation some ejits place on youngsters coming through is crazy and they were writing him off.
Jacob indeed looked like a rabbit in the headlights for his first few games. Long arm tackles, bad positioning and the rest. thankfully it didn't go to the public vote. Clearly somebody who knew more than us saw the potential.

I still wouldn't put too much expectation on him. Despite his fantastic showing this season.
Honest, I'm not being smart here, but aren't you forgetting that he got on the summer tour by virtue of LAST SEASON, when he scored 9 tries for Ulster from 8 starts and 10 bench appearances.

What you are spot on about is that just over 2 years after the uncertain early games, he is pure gold ................... once he learns how not to get blamed for Kearney's mistakes. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Bart S wrote:Seem to recall a few people on here saying we should have let him go and kept Scholes a couple of seasons ago.

Whether by luck or skill UR got that one right!

Really pleased for the lad. Of course there will be ups and downs and he’ll be targetted in future but really good to see him doing so well.
You are no doubt correct Bart. The burden of expectation some ejits place on youngsters coming through is crazy and they were writing him off.
Jacob indeed looked like a rabbit in the headlights for his first few games. Long arm tackles, bad positioning and the rest. thankfully it didn't go to the public vote. Clearly somebody who knew more than us saw the potential.

I still wouldn't put too much expectation on him. Despite his fantastic showing this season.
Honest, I'm not being smart here, but aren't you forgetting that he got on the summer tour by virtue of LAST SEASON, when he scored 9 tries for Ulster from 8 starts and 10 bench appearances.

What you are spot on about is that just over 2 years after the uncertain early games, he is pure gold ................... once he learns how not to get blamed for Kearney's mistakes. :D
fair point.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Les would still have him on the bench

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

ColinM wrote:Les would still have him on the bench

Brilliant....

Or should Les actually get some credit for perfectly nurturing the talent that won Ireland the Grand Slam, to go with him being responsible for the defensive system that won the one before?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:

Brilliant....

Or should Les actually get some credit for perfectly nurturing the talent that won Ireland the Grand Slam, to go with him being responsible for the defensive system that won the one before?
Les did get lot's of credit at the time. I thought he would be good for us too. It's sad that he was still living in 09. Argentina ripped the Les Kiss drift defence to shreds at world cup. Every team knows how to do the same. The only reason it ever worked was because Ireland had a set centre pairing and BOD as the fulcrum. Les had a pick n mix centre pairing and ignored the only 13 in the squad. He lost his actual mind.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He is still only 21, hard to believe. Hopefully he keeps improving. Needs to take BODs try record
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:

Brilliant....

Les did get lot's of credit at the time. I thought he would be good for us too. It's sad that he was still living in 09. Argentina ripped the Les Kiss drift defence to shreds at world cup. Every team knows how to do the same. The only reason it ever worked was because Ireland had a set centre pairing and BOD as the fulcrum. Les had a pick n mix centre pairing and ignored the only 13 in the squad. He lost his actual mind.
Quite possibly Dave.

But it looks like the treatment of Stockdale, in giving him game time but allowing him the chance to grow into his body, was spot on.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Big-al wrote:He is still only 21, hard to believe. Hopefully he keeps improving. Needs to take BODs try record
BOD will take him out with a sniper rifle before he'd allow that to happen. Smug Ashton.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Big-al wrote:He is still only 21, hard to believe. Hopefully he keeps improving. Needs to take BODs try record
BOD will take him out with a sniper rifle before he'd allow that to happen. Smug Ashton.
BoD will have wee IKON Joey in at 10
Cant beat BoDs record if the 10 cant play

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

justinr73 wrote:
Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:

Brilliant....

Quite possibly Dave.

But it looks like the treatment of Stockdale, in giving him game time but allowing him the chance to grow into his body, was spot on.
He was still selecting Bowe ahead of Stockdale in the SDC this season before Joe showed him who the best winger in Ulster is.

No issue with previous years though

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

For just the one game in France but I don't think Les was targeting that one :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:For just the one game in France but I don't think Les was targeting that one :lol:
It just surprises me that people respond to your FOLKing posts Lionel, need any chariot wheels? Found 6 in the shed, I'll do you a keen price.

I may hate the FIRFUCs, but I now feel justified in berating once more those who accepted the nonsense that this was a potential RWC winning England team. Boys oh they are utter crap, so lacking in so many positions and Half-Jap Eddie has no idea of who his best backline is, not a lulu. They have a lot of players who are flat track bullies, look the part against inferior teams, but in a contest, they lose the run of themselves. For example, that coloured in clown Marler, his assault on wee Joey was not so much a swinging arm but a blatant roundhouse punch to the ribs.

On the other hand, no-hopers France could have won the bloody thing, but for Sexton's fluke and taking off their kicker against Wales.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

and I was one of them clueless eejits.

Delighted to have been proved totally wrong. :stout:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Interesting to compare Stockdale's blistering start to his international career with the all time record try scorers (didn't include Japs)
After 9 caps:

Rokocoko 15 trys
Savea 12
Stockdale 11
Havana 10
Williams 10
Cullen 9
Howlett 8
Campese 7
Wilson 7

BOD 2
Underwood 2
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

big mervyn wrote:Interesting to compare Stockdale's blistering start to his international career with the all time record try scorers (didn't include Japs)
After 9 caps:

Rokocoko 15 trys
Savea 12
Stockdale 11
Havana 10
Williams 10
Cullen 9
Howlett 8
Campese 7
Wilson 7

BOD 2
Underwood 2
Didn't realise Cuba had a good team ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.