Who will decide

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Who will decide

Post by ColinM »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
I look forward to the book, quick question , is her anonymity still protected, or will we see her on “I am a celebrity big brother, popstars get me out of here”
Her anonymity is still protected but she can chose to waive that protection.
Why is it protected ? My opinion is that the verdict implies that she has been less than truthful, so why is she protected. I have no doubt she will be whisked away by some red top for a in-depth account of her version of the event.
All the names should be protected. PJ, SO etal should not have been named either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interesting point to debate. This type of anonymity would mean a lot of serial attackers would be charged with only one offence.

Personally I'd be happy with the court having a public gallery but ALL reporting and commentary banned. I hope that would strike the balance between justice being served in public and removing mass hysteria.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
I look forward to the book, quick question , is her anonymity still protected, or will we see her on “I am a celebrity big brother, popstars get me out of here”
Why is it protected ? My opinion is that the verdict implies that she has been less than truthful, so why is she protected. I have no doubt she will be whisked away by some red top for a in-depth account of her version of the event.
She is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ColinM wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
All the names should be protected. PJ, SO etal should not have been named either.

Interesting point to debate. This type of anonymity would mean a lot of serial attackers would be charged with only one offence.

Personally I'd be happy with the court having a public gallery but ALL reporting and commentary banned. I hope that would strike the balance between justice being served in public and removing mass hysteria.
Not necessarily, barrister on Nolan saying if it's a serial offender the judge could decide to waive anonymity.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Wasn't a barrister. It was Jim Gamble. Seems like a reasonable proposal. There really should have been reporting restrictions in this case too.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

In Mexico there is anonymity for both until a guilty verdict is reached

twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

The biggest problem I can see in this case is FEAR.

The girl in question was AFRAID that photos of her would appear on social media, so had to create a case for herself.

When it was reported to police they were AFRAID not to investigate it - although their investigation was very flawed.

When the PPS looked at the case they were AFRAID not to prosecute in case it would seem that the well-known rugby player was getting favourable treatment.

Now that they have been found not guilty they are having to undergo another trial with IRFU because IRFU/UR are AFRAID of the Twitter brigade.

So many parts of society are AFRAID in case they offend some hashtag. For goodness sake someone HAS to stand up to them.
Now that they have been found NOT GUILTY of rape it looks as though they are going to be found guilty of sending inappropriate text messages - which may ruin their lives. I repeat - inappropriate text messages may be enough to ruin their lives. What is the world coming to?

Stand up to these insidious threats from the Twitter brigade. Eg " I have decided not to buy two Bridgestone tyres because Bridgestone support Ulster Rugby" or "I was going to use Kingspan insulation in my house but not while Kingspan are sponsoring Ulster Rugby." Please realise that these Twitter threats are imaginary. The person who wasn't going to buy tyres doesn't have a car. She/he/it is probably a 13 year old who needs some social kudos on Twitter.

Stand Up To These Threats and SUFTUM.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
The PSNI are going to pursue those naming her on social media, and yes there are still some eejits out there who come up on a Google search of her name and also a search on Facebook and Twitter.
How any then 18/19 year old in Belfast out for a night with a bunch of school classmates could ever be kept anonymous is really beyond the realms of thought with all the communication devices available.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Russ wrote:In Mexico there is anonymity for both until a guilty verdict is reached

It would have been literally impossible for them to have retained anonymity for the time it took to clear their names
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:She is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law

Correct.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Can I take my hat of to Stuart for commenting in his statement that he was sorry for the hurt he has caused the lady in question and under the circumstances well done.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:I fear that they won’t play on this island again. Protect the image.
I believe you are spot on which is why when this season is over I shall be expecting to be finished with Ulster Rugby.

They will not be back.

It will be a mutual agreement :roll:

They will turn up at Saints or Saracens

Terry Slogan would have sacked them as soon as the police called at Spanners in 2016 had it been in his power to do so.

The squad have been softened up already to prepare for their exit.

A significant employment lawyer has been consulted by UR/FIRFU, some months back.

Wee Stu is boracic having been awarded legal aid part way through the legal process and may actually welcome the possibility of a paid contract elsewhere.

Paddy is less likely to welcome his departure as he would like to continue to be a possible Ireland selection.

Be aware that if Paddy is said to leave by mutual agreement, that will be a blatant lie since he wants to stay and signalled this yesterday.

Those feeling Schmidt may want to keep him don't understand Schmidt.

I will say "Fu'ck Ulster" if they allow sponsors to make this decision for them, i.e. The players are gassed

If Ulster does not fight to keep Paddy Jackson - they won't - it will be just one more gutless decision and will set back hopes of recovery by several years, we have seen clear evidence that you cannnot win games without an accomplished outhalf, the best Ulster have had in at least 40 years possibly closer to 50 years.

Those of you who care about keeping the players should understand that not renewing your ST is the only message you can send to Ulster Rugby.

Should all of the above come to fruition, and it will, I expect most of you to join my Fu'ck Ireland campaign and not to renew your season tickets.

#getTerryout
#dieSlogan
#whatpartofinnocentdoyounotunderstand
#nocrimenofoul
#Fu'Warren Gatland

and it is looking very likely that the following may become my signature: #nolongermyteam

And for all the demented harridans giving it large on social media, you are not feminists and your hero has ruined at least three lives possibly four.

#Ihopeyourreputationwasworthlyingabout.

Speaking of her reputation it reminds me of the woman's maidenhead in the following story:

Her golden hair
Her ruby red lips
Her cheeks as soft as putty
Her maidenhead
Lay on the bed
Like a fu'cking busted gutty.

You may discern I am not a happy camper, you would be right. I am feeling like an 8-year-old kid who has become frustrated and can only think to bate rings roun' him.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Can I take my hat of to Stuart for commenting in his statement that he was sorry for the hurt he has caused the lady in question and under the circumstances well done.
You can if you like Cockers, I believe he was magnanimous in a ridiculous degree. The dissembler has for her own reasons robbed him of his livelihood, almost certainly his life in Northern Ireland and potentially the chance to ever play pro rugby again.

What has she lost other than credibility? And even that is in doubt given the moral female support from people who do not care one jot if the young gentlemen are innocent or guilty.

I suppose you are like the Christian who forgives the person who murders their nearest and dearest, whilst I would make it my business to ruin their life to the fullest extent within my powers.
1Jesus.jpg
1Jesus.jpg (11.09 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Quite frankly, this morning there are a lot of morons out there who I would like to help shake off their mortal coils & join the bleedin' choir celestial. It would be one hell of a size of choir. >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
The PSNI are going to pursue those naming her on social media, and yes there are still some eejits out there who come up on a Google search of her name and also a search on Facebook and Twitter.
How any then 18/19 year old in Belfast out for a night with a bunch of school classmates could ever be kept anonymous is really beyond the realms of thought with all the communication devices available.
Yes, indeed Rooster, especially with what the bouncer saw. :duh:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote:Can I take my hat of to Stuart for commenting in his statement that he was sorry for the hurt he has caused the lady in question and under the circumstances well done.
All choreography Cockers but it struck the right note I suppose.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Social media is out of control. If it can be used to manipulate a US presidential election what chance has the legal system got of stopping it from influencing trials? Careless social media use is the reason for this review. It's an unregulated space that has been created and regulating it will be virtually impossible. The complainant's name an photograph were circulating on social media a few weeks back. A colleague was about to show me the photo on her phone and I asked her not to bother.

As for the "image must be protected" argument.
Which will do more lasting harm to the IRFU image?
Having a review and finding that despite the the fact that it looks bad, no terms have been breached warranting serious a penalty. They guys are issued with a warning and the players code of conduct is strengthened relating to social media use.
or
An apparent witch hunt, chasing two guys who have been acquitted in short order out of town and all at the behest if an ill-informed baying mob?

Unquestionably the latter. Give it a week for the furore to die down, and release a statement. Guys are available for Glasgow and Munster games.