DC Signs On

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: DC Signs On

Post by Dave »

Kofi Annan wrote:THAT'S LOYALTY
Some call that a crime though.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mid ulster maestro wrote:I feel in my water that DC would make an excellent coach. Perhaps he is hanging on in the hope of a future coaching ticket. He is Ulster through and through after all. I could of course be talking through me hoop!
MUM, I don't disagree with any of that but I think the real reason he has signed again is that he has never wanted to play for anyone but his home province. I think it's that simple.

I would speculate that one year for anyone over 30 is the norm until they get a new coaching team to see who they do & don't want.

I hope to god they have the wit to play him a bit more now that he has yet again proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he is our best 13 allied to the point that Big Stu & NHL are just not a good partnership.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:THAT'S LOYALTY
Spot on Kofi. :thumleft: Then again, it's what you expect from DC.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

I've often found that being loyal to something means you get taken for granted. Darren's treatment this season suggests that might well be true. We, and UR, are lucky to have him and I now hope UR realise that,
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

I would say that the length of the deal concerns me. Particularly the fact that he would have been out in the market place and he surely would have been looking for longer than that ! At his age he would have wanted more security and this is what he ends up with. Its a better deal for Ulster Rugby than it is for DC
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Gary wrote:I've often found that being loyal to something means you get taken for granted. Darren's treatment this season suggests that might well be true. We, and UR, are lucky to have him and I now hope UR realise that,
He wasn't taken for granted. He was marginalized, allegedly for pointing out the inadequacies of Les Kiss' defensive coaching in front of other players in the Ireland set up - tactless, perhaps, but not inaccurate - only to find Kiss then landing on his doorstep as the new Ulster Coach. We can assume that it wasn't an altogther happy reunion.

Based on Bryn Cunningham's observations on the age profile of the squad, Cave is one of the few players in that older group of senior players/leaders who can command a place in the starting line up. He'll be even more important to us if we are going to place more emphasis on bringing through young players next season.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yes, yes, people, it is more beneficial to Ulster, but let's not forget he also has a business here and his partner is off to Worcester though ironically the main driver behind his departure is no longer a factor. So apart from his lifelong wish to play for Ulster, it probably suits him well, plus of course, when you have been excluded from the shop-windie for so long, questions probably crop up in the minds of would-be suitors.

Anyway, he is amongst my favourite players and my cup runneth over. :cheers:

And GUB U's comments on what he can add to nippers games should not be underestimated. :thumleft:
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

big mervyn wrote:he's only 31. Could they not have given him 2 years?

It's an insult to DC. He should've looked around, i'm sure he could've got a 2 year deal elsewhere and got picked on a regular basis!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

stickinout wrote:
big mervyn wrote:he's only 31. Could they not have given him 2 years?

It's an insult to DC. He should've looked around, i'm sure he could've got a 2 year deal elsewhere and got picked on a regular basis!
Not saying it happened this time but previously injured or players not in form have turned down 2 or 3 year contracts as they viewed it better business to negotiate higher next time around. It can also happen to young guys coming up, take Stockdale he would have been mad to sign a 3 year as a first contract if personally he was confident he could do better.
It can also backfire if you have a bad run round negotiations time.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Best news we’ve had for quite some time. DC has that rare combination of a good rugby brain and commitment to the cause. He was treated shamefully by FOLK, but DC’s exile contributed to FOLK’s demise.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.