The great 2018 Dave Sale

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: The great 2018 Dave Sale

Post by Tender »

Cast yer minds back in time to Coatzee MK1 first games. It wasn’t just him busting opponents, he inspired most of our Daves to bust opponents also. I remember the shock at witnessing Treaders stopping runners and looking like he meant it.
Around that time I hoped Coatzee’s influence would stick with some Daves, but sadly they reverted to saft as shyte type and we’ve continued on our merry decline unabated since than.
That makes it all the more frustrating. Coatzee can inspire Daves to be better players, so why the feck can’t a coach i.e. The person being paid for such expertise in that area do what he did?
Last Saturday’s draw at Munterville was an example. Leaving aside Dave Shananananana-nana, you could see the confidence draining away in the second half. Nobody apart from Rory could stand up to their thugs and the Munters knew it. Our inconsistency springs from our oh so fragile confidence. Once the confidence went, the errors just kept coming and we basically handed them the draw.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Have we ever cast Logie as a Dave ... or is he just a Logie?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cornerfleg wrote:Have we ever cast Logie as a Dave ... or is he just a Logie?
Give fair, most of our Daves have been honest.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

True .... We have some Daves .. but there's only one Logie.

If at half past 3 you asked any Dave what time it was ... at least 8 out of 10 of them could find a watch and give you an honest attempt ... If you asked Logie, what time it was - 9 out of 10 of us would be ringing the speaking clock directly after the answer.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Diack is signed on for end of next season. Treadwell has a 3 yr deal.....hopefully Davidson will develop him when he arrives. I like AOCs attitude but he’s not the biggest and has poor handling like treadwell. I’m hoping treadwell will kick on mainly due to learning off IH, and hopefully the coaches booting him up the hole....currently he’s not competitive or aggressive enough, and frankly he often looks off the pace and blowing out of his Brennan.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

thecrouch wrote:Treadwell annoys me. For a big lad he’s as soft as a used nanny pad.
I'd start Diack ahead of Treadwell every time. Out of condition, no muscle definition, saft puddin'.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote:Some positions have more Daves than others:

Loosehead: all daves- Black, who can hold is own, isn't a Dave. McCall a year or two ago, wasn't- we've went back wards massively. OHagan needs blooded- Whats Paddy Mac doing apart from benching at Glaws?
Hooker: fairly good- Add in McBurney- best darts in the club- starter in two years if he gets a go
Tighthead: Kane Deccie Fitz mark 2 but a good prop, Herbst, Moore, O'Toole
Second row: Hendo, AOC and Dalton coming through. We are NOT well stocked. Treadwell- blancmange/ Browne- decent if given a chance, Diack
Backrow: Jordi, Timoney, Rea, Broke-knee, Reidy... a few to come through as well - Forgot Deysel, Rea Junior, Agnew (don't rate Jones)
Scrumhalf: Cooney. I've heard Curtis jnr is pretty good. Jonny Stewart looks reasonable. Cairns is living off duty free still?
Flyhalf: The jury is out. Some very promising prospects though. McPhillips, Lowry, Curtis, Cooney
Centres: Whitten, Farrell, Olding...oh wait we gave them away.
Back three: Addison, Gilroy, Lyttle, Ludik, Stockdale, AAT...

We need signings all over the show but the priority should be: LH, 2nd row and a 10/12. A back-up would be handy but we have been saying that for years.

All in all the squad looks weak.
Compare even with the squad of two years ago, let alone 5... very weak/ unproven.
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Dave wrote:Some positions have more Daves than others:

Loosehead: all daves- Black, who can hold is own, isn't a Dave. McCall a year or two ago, wasn't- we've went back wards massively. OHagan needs blooded- Whats Paddy Mac doing apart from benching at Glaws?
Hooker: fairly good- Add in McBurney- best darts in the club- starter in two years if he gets a go
Tighthead: Kane Deccie Fitz mark 2 but a good prop, Herbst, Moore, O'Toole
Second row: Hendo, AOC and Dalton coming through. We are NOT well stocked. Treadwell- blancmange/ Browne- decent if given a chance, Diack
Backrow: Jordi, Timoney, Rea, Broke-knee, Reidy... a few to come through as well - Forgot Deysel, Rea Junior, Agnew (don't rate Jones)
Scrumhalf: Cooney. I've heard Curtis jnr is pretty good. Jonny Stewart looks reasonable. Cairns is living off duty free still?
Flyhalf: The jury is out. Some very promising prospects though. McPhillips, Lowry, Curtis, Cooney
Centres: Whitten, Farrell, Olding...oh wait we gave them away.
Back three: Addison, Gilroy, Lyttle, Ludik, Stockdale, AAT...

We need signings all over the show but the priority should be: LH, 2nd row and a 10/12. A back-up would be handy but we have been saying that for years.

All in all the squad looks weak.
Compare even with the squad of two years ago, let alone 5... very weak/ unproven.

so the strategy with regards to signing players to fill key positions and age categories was poor across a number of years hence lack of SID and lack of player profile as highlighted in the recent meetings.... Bryn needs to up his game IMHO although I suspect I will be told that with a host of Leinster rejects coming we will be fine..

Exactly why was Diack given a two year contract..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Who else have we got to run up to people ...?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

We have Dave Peel coaching the backs
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

In the last year for various reasons we have lost (or will lose) the following

Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Jackson, Olding, Bowe, Piutau, Lealiifano, probably Payne and possibly McPhillips

Trimble and Cave are on borrowed time

Our only addition is John Cooney ( who granted has probably been our best player)

So much for our once much vaunted back division
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

So apart from AAT looks like a full clear out is underway ... sadly some collateral damage in the Great Dave give away, but Daves are going ... if we're ever going to improve I'd say its at least some sort of action, rather than a complete fudge as usual .. whether it will work or not who knows ... but what we do know is if we did nothing the results would stay the same.

The McFarland Babes ... all eggs in this basket.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:Who else have we got to run up to people ...?
Indeed, we need a designated handbagger and throat grabber.
Needs to be someone who'll not be missed if he gets carded by a Scottish ref or Clancy. SID in this area is officially rated as "well stocked".
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Rodders and Treaders could get that job ... but are they fit enough to make it to a breakdown and catch the refs attention????
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

They are both strong candidates, but it's Treaders for me. Ticks a lot of boxes.