Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by ColinM »

I've no doubt it is just negotiating tactics from the SRU to underline the contractual terms but Ulster once again have not covered themselves in glory. The SRU will be most likely be out of pocket for getting Wilson out of his Wasssup contract and will want to keep themselves whole at the very least.

As baggy & GUBU say, they are tighter than a ducks arris and will not want to stay out of pocket for much longer.

Can UR pay though? who is down in D4 with the cap in hand after signing Dan and apparently cocking up on his arrival date?
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

ColinM wrote:I've no doubt it is just negotiating tactics from the SRU to underline the contractual terms but Ulster once again have not covered themselves in glory. The SRU will be most likely be out of pocket for getting Wilson out of his Wasssup contract and will want to keep themselves whole at the very least.

As baggy & GUBU say, they are tighter than a ducks arris and will not want to stay out of pocket for much longer.

Can UR pay though? who is down in D4 with the cap in hand after signing Dan and apparently cocking up on his arrival date?
Its a game of who blinks first. Don't forget they will be paying for two guys doing one job from August so pressure back on them to a degree. It must be quite stressful for McFarland. :stir:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think Scotland are playing a dangerous game with UR. They will not (or should not) want Dan in their setup right up until January. This is only weeks before the 6 Nations. Having a coach leave at this time and going to work within the Irish provinicial system is madness. He will have a wealth of insider info into plays/calls/tactics etc. I'm sure Joe will be keen to speak with him. Even if Scotland are not exactly a threat. Joe wouldn't leave that stone unturned.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

Dave wrote:I think Scotland are playing a dangerous game with UR. They will not (or should not) want Dan in their setup right up until January. This is only weeks before the 6 Nations. Having a coach leave at this time and going to work within the Irish provinicial system is madness. He will have a wealth of insider info into plays/calls/tactics etc. I'm sure Joe will be keen to speak with him. Even if Scotland are not exactly a threat. Joe wouldn't leave that stone unturned.
He will be turfed out on gardening leave after the summer internationals are finished and left to stew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

What exactly does an international forwards coach do from week to week? I suspect Dan could be in Ulster a fair bit of the week without srfu knowing what he is at. Unless they give him desk duties for 6 months. Perhaps he might feel some sick leave is appropriate at this time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
allanddd
Novice

Post by allanddd »

Ulster/Irfu should just pay the money the Irfu don’t have a problem paying for 5 outhalfs at Munster or 3 NIQ backs at Leinster
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

jean valjean wrote:What exactly does an international forwards coach do from week to week? I suspect Dan could be in Ulster a fair bit of the week without srfu knowing what he is at. Unless they give him desk duties for 6 months. Perhaps he might feel some sick leave is appropriate at this time.

Telephone rings early in July. 'Hello Dan. It's Gregor here. Yes, it's always nice to get back home after a tour, isn't it? Tell me something - have you any experience of operating a ride on lawnmower?'
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GUBU wrote:
jean valjean wrote:What exactly does an international forwards coach do from week to week? I suspect Dan could be in Ulster a fair bit of the week without srfu knowing what he is at. Unless they give him desk duties for 6 months. Perhaps he might feel some sick leave is appropriate at this time.

Telephone rings early in July. 'Hello Dan. It's Gregor here. Yes, it's always nice to get back home after a tour, isn't it? Tell me something - have you any experience of operating a ride on lawnmower?'
And if he says yes he gets a job and says no he gets training and a job.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wonder what the legalities are if McFarland just started with Ulster at the start of July and said shove it to SRU
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Rooster wrote:Wonder what the legalities are if McFarland just started with Ulster at the start of July and said shove it to SRU
I presume they could sue him for breaking contract but would it be worth it financially?

There's no way this will go on to January. SRU paying two people to do one job? Not on yer nelly, every Scotsman's nightmare, wasting money. This is them trying to put the screws on to get some compensation back. Are they stumping up compensation for Wilson? If so, i don't blame them for looking for money from the FIRFU for McF. The way i see it is, the longer we hold out, the less the payment is, .... Offer them something in July and get our man in place. FIRFU.

One question. How did McF hope to get out of his SRU contract anyways? Was he going to pull the old classic, my wife doesn't like it here anymore and i have to go home Or would it be the new classic: I need to go home to Oxfordshire but then pull a fast one and head over to Belfast? The mind boggles....

9 month notice to leave is a f@cking joke and will come back to bite SRU in the Brennan some time in the future.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

He'll be here, the SRU is just holding out for as much comp as they can get. It'll go on for another couple of weeks I'd say, but he'll be here by the time 'proper' on-pitch pre-season starts..
..one more thing
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Columbo wrote:He'll be here, the SRU is just holding out for as much comp as they can get. It'll go on for another couple of weeks I'd say, but he'll be here by the time 'proper' on-pitch pre-season starts..

One has to hope this will be the case....
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

stickinout wrote:
9 month notice to leave is a f@cking joke and will come back to bite SRU in the Brennan some time in the future.

I know zip about international rugby coaching contracts, but it seems a sensible notice period to me for a coach deciding he wants to up and leave for no reason related to his then current role. At any time of the year 9 months gives the SRU the comfort that they won't be without a coaching staff member for the next upcoming set of matches be they 6Ns, summer tours, RWC or AIs.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

ColinM wrote:
stickinout wrote:

I know zip about international rugby coaching contracts, but it seems a sensible notice period to me for a coach deciding he wants to up and leave for no reason related to his then current role. At any time of the year 9 months gives the SRU the comfort that they won't be without a coaching staff member for the next upcoming set of matches be they 6Ns, summer tours, RWC or AIs.
Fair enough, as i know feck all about international coaching contracts too but they have their new man in the job, the need for 9 months notice has become redundant, so they are brazenly holding out for financial gain. Now, if they've stumped up compensation for Wilson, then fair enough, pay up FIRFU.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

It's all agreed, but Ulster Rugby are holding the news to be announced at the best time to push ST sales.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk