Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by MightyRearranger »

I'm reasonably happy with the appointment. For him to be first choice when a number of our plays will have played with him previously suggests he's held in fairly high regard. Given where we are, unless someone like Scott Robertson had miraculously turned up, I think our options were:

1. Take an experienced coach who has never been a world beater i.e. AF
2. Take an experienced coach who has been successful but has baggage i.e. EOS, JM
3. Take a punt on someone highly regarded, but without the track record

I doubt there is anyone in the second category that would have won unanimous backing on here. While Kiss is being cited as an arguement against option 3, Lam excepted, how many of the sucessful provincial coaches in the professional era have taken up their positions with a proven record as a head coach elsewhere?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm not sure that I take much from the 'highly rated' comments after experiencing Les Kiss for 2 years. I'm just glad it isn't friend. I think that's the idea though. A coach with a proven track record would have been nice but who of that calibre will come here? Getting an assistant from international level that ticks most of the right boxes is probably as good as we will get.
Who rated Kiss highly though ? He was a busted flush in defence with Ireland had no real coaching experience to be anything but a defensive coach and he was behind the times even with that. I never rates him from the start
The players. Even 1F.
They were living on the memory from a year before, once Ireland went to the RWC he was done
Which is why I'm now always dubious about the highly rated tag.

Forget about anyone in the UR/IRFU system when it comes to rating people, they will either just lie or be wrong. Trust others who aren't out to deceive you - Townsend didn't bring this guy on two different appointments to deceive the Ulster public!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ColinM wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:Who rated Kiss highly though ? He was a busted flush in defence with Ireland had no real coaching experience to be anything but a defensive coach and he was behind the times even with that. I never rates him from the start
The players. Even 1F.
They were living on the memory from a year before, once Ireland went to the RWC he was done
Which is why I'm now always dubious about the highly rated tag.

Forget about anyone in the UR/IRFU system when it comes to rating people, they will either just lie or be wrong. Trust others who aren't out to deceive you - Townsend didn't bring this guy on two different appointments to deceive the Ulster public!
Don't underestimate the UAFC's ability to find a conspiracy.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

he ticks a number of boxes

1 he played rugby union and not league

2 he was a forward and forwards win matches and backs define by how much

3 he played in the west of Ireland and should know how to play in wind and rain which is something Ulster haven't a clue about for a number of years.

4 he having played for Connaught know how to coach up your jersey rugby .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Connacht play an expansive game.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

rumncoke wrote: 3 he played in the west of Ireland and should know how to play in wind and rain which is something Ulster haven't a clue about for a number of years.

Quick . . . get fleg . . . sound the WET BALLS klaxon!!!
It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

scoff if you like but I'm sure that most of the games Ulster have lost or failed to get a bonus win when needed or expected have been bad weather games

Games against Leinster excluded

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

FRB wrote:Highly rated he may be but he will be cutting his teeth as a head coach with Ulster.

The thought of Peel and Dundon conducting pre-season and taking us through to January 2019 is as bewildering as it is frightening. Have we learnt nothing? Would any other professional rugby team put up with it?

The lack of a start date from UR is another sign of their disdain for supporters.

Any bets on Jared being announced on the coaching ticket as defensive coach?
Good comment but they have learned nothing because they aren't interested in learning anything.

We needed a tried and tested coach at this level thinking of the good work Cotterill is doing currently at Edinburgh.
A Millander/Lancaster type of appointment who has a big enough character and will take no prisoners in sorting matters out.
UR clearly do not want such individuals.

The little empire builders don't want anyone in the set up capable of upsetting apple carts and the appointment yet again of a head coach novice is in keeping with this mantra.
They want someone in who will be grateful for the appointment rather than someone they may actual have to convince.
UR management always need such fall guys to preserve their positions.

The fact that he may start in January, even better as we have to wait once again with baited breath for a season to be rescued so no instant pressure as we can all be assured that our messiah is coming Kiss style.
Dan Forgettable might well turn into a Schmidt type appointment but it will be through complete luck rather than judgement.
Either way they aren't fussed.
Expect more of the same and I'm off to type a strongly worded letter to the URSC.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Liz, preach sister preach, I could not have put it better myself. He is one for you all, wait and you see the deals, fre3bies UR Spin Department do for tickets on a play off if that’s the way we go, I want Leinster to get thrashed and the ghost of Clarke to haunt ravenhill and drive a 8 inch nail into the coffin of Slogan
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I thing Gregor Townsend is a certifiable rugby genius. If Dan is good enough for Gergor, he's good enough for me.
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Liz Fraser wrote:
FRB wrote:Highly rated he may be but he will be cutting his teeth as a head coach with Ulster.

The thought of Peel and Dundon conducting pre-season and taking us through to January 2019 is as bewildering as it is frightening. Have we learnt nothing? Would any other professional rugby team put up with it?

The lack of a start date from UR is another sign of their disdain for supporters.

Good comment but they have learned nothing because they aren't interested in learning anything.

We needed a tried and tested coach at this level thinking of the good work Cotterill is doing currently at Edinburgh.
A Millander/Lancaster type of appointment who has a big enough character and will take no prisoners in sorting matters out.

The little empire builders don't want anyone in the set up capable of upsetting apple carts and the appointment yet again of a head coach novice is in keeping with this mantra.
They want someone in who will be grateful for the appointment rather than someone they may actual have to convince.

The fact that he may start in January, even better as we have to wait once again with baited breath for a season to be rescued so no instant pressure as we can all be assured that our messiah is coming Kiss style.
Dan Forgettable might well turn into a Schmidt type appointment but it will be through complete luck rather than judgement.
Expect more of the same and I'm off to type a strongly worded letter to the URSC.
It’s Cockerill...
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:I thing Gregor Townsend is a certifiable rugby genius. If Dan is good enough for Gergor, he's good enough for me.
Gregor Townsend was a certifiable rugby genius as a player yes, as a coach though?

With more or less the full Scotland team at Glasgow he never fired a shot in anger at European competition. He's a decent coach yes but not a genius.

I do however agree, McFarland will do for me. He has been involved with teams since taking up coaching that have done alright, he is long overdue a head coaching role. He has also cut his teeth as a forwards coach, a much more technical part of the game than what I would perceive as a less technical role like defensive coach.

Joe Schmidts first head coach gig was at Leinster, that worked out okay. Like him or loath him he is a certifiable rugby genius.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

GUBU wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:

It’s Cockerill...
Very good Gublin I feel so silly as I was obviously confusing Cockerill with the actress Chrissie Cotterill.
However you failed to spot my misspelling of Mallinder.
I feel your pain.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Kofi Annan wrote:Liz, preach sister preach, I could not have put it better myself. He is one for you all, wait and you see the deals, fre3bies UR Spin Department do for tickets on a play off if that’s the way we go, I want Leinster to get thrashed and the ghost of Clarke to haunt ravenhill and drive a 8 inch nail into the coffin of Slogan
Who would you have gone for Kofi?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Liz, preach sister preach, I could not have put it better myself. He is one for you all, wait and you see the deals, fre3bies UR Spin Department do for tickets on a play off if that’s the way we go, I want Leinster to get thrashed and the ghost of Clarke to haunt ravenhill and drive a 8 inch nail into the coffin of Slogan
Who would you have gone for Kofi?
A proven coach and not a D4 puppet, why do you ask ?

Who is giving this stooge direction?

Who is setting the culture and his appreciation of game?

Who is setting the roles and responsibilities?

BHO, there is better out there, but I go back to what I always believe about Irish Rugby. There is the BEST people for the job and there is the RIGHT people, the right people always get the job, never the best people.

Personally right now, complete and utter collapse of UR is the only way forward, those cnuts that hide on committees and are not accountable will run to the hills, we then can start afresh.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”