Dan McFarland

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Dan McFarland

Post by Snipe Watson »

A good season to have not renewed my season ticket!
Keyop
Novice

Post by Keyop »

But it has happened at Munster and Leinster. Sure Graham Henry was parachuted to Leinster and Andy Farrell to Munster.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

MightyRearranger wrote:Much as the union gets some derision, I'm not sure what more they could have done here (apart from not leaking the McFarland news before the SRU had been told >sniper).
It was Bryn running his mouth off in Thomond that gave the media the scent to chase.

That is the point at which we lost control of the situation.

Thanks Bryn.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Maybe he's worth waiting for, maybe he isn't, but the reaction from everyone who has worked with him when he was appointed gjves me a bit of hope. Thats not a lot, but it's a lot more than last season.

Im not trying to sah everything is well, before Logan was pushed out I probably wasnt going to renew my season ticket and some things (like the proposed move for Jantjies) still make me despair, but in this case im not sure what Ulster or the IRFU were supposed to do. We needed a coach, so interviewed those interested, appointed the man they thought was best for the job and when the SRU refused to release them appointed the best interim they could.

Munster and Leinster havent always got the right coach first time either. Penney didnt do much with the Turnips and I think O'Connor only get a season in Leinster.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Amiga500 wrote:
MightyRearranger wrote:Much as the union gets some derision, I'm not sure what more they could have done here (apart from not leaking the McFarland news before the SRU had been told >sniper).
It was Bryn running his mouth off in Thomond that gave the media the scent to chase.

That is the point at which we lost control of the situation.

Thanks Bryn.
He could have dealt with it better, but it wasnt him that leaked it. I suppose given the amount of bad stuff that had been happening he was just eager to share the first bit of positive news we'd had in a while.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

MightyRearranger wrote:He could have dealt with it better, but it wasnt him that leaked it.
He might as well have.

No doubt after that interview, all reporters in Dublin started plying their sources with drink looking for a slip of the tongue.

MightyRearranger wrote: I suppose given the amount of bad stuff that had been happening he was just eager to share the first bit of positive news we'd had in a while.
He's paid a not inconsiderate sum to be a professional. If that means taking sh!t for a few more weeks in order to do the job right - so be it.

Another f**king amateur in an organisation full of them.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

MightyRearranger wrote:Maybe he's worth waiting for, maybe he isn't, but the reaction from everyone who has worked with him when he was appointed gjves me a bit of hope. Thats not a lot, but it's a lot more than last season.

Im not trying to sah everything is well, before Logan was pushed out I probably wasnt going to renew my season ticket and some things (like the proposed move for Jantjies) still make me despair, but in this case im not sure what Ulster or the IRFU were supposed to do. We needed a coach, so interviewed those interested, appointed the man they thought was best for the job and when the SRU refused to release them appointed the best interim they could.

Munster and Leinster havent always got the right coach first time either. Penney didnt do much with the Turnips and I think O'Connor only get a season in Leinster.
Came on here to write more or less what you have written.

We're all feeling so negative about the situation we are in that we want to mope about it.

This is a positive to where we were at yesterday, a small step in the right direction.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Is it time to move on yet?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I came on expecting thrilled acclaim that a top coach like Simon Easterby was to lead the squad to respectability, instead whining and misery. It's the UAFC way. Chill out people, your angst is futile, will change nothing. Relax and be at peace, I feel a better person for it..... though he isn't quite so positive. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Not the Ulster way. If we didn't know his terms and conditions when an offer was made then there's no hope. The fact is we did and haven't done the necessary to get him in on time.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Maybe just maybe we could have signed a coach who wasn't tied into a contract for the rest of this season and much of next.. of course coaches like 9's don't grow on trees but I suspect there was something out there even the Cardiff coach who took an average team and turned them into something respectable and was leaving at the end of this year albeit not where expected..

We obviously made an early approach with Gibbes on the QT identifying that he had a get out clause and offered a contract that answered that clause.. He went on record before coming that he would come but that depending on his return visit to NZ at Xmas his circumstances could likely change... instead of realising how that might pan out or simply deciding to move on in the interest of long term continuity we plunged ahead and brought in a man who already said he might leave 3 months later..

Then we speak to Dan on the QT and secure him despite knowing he was tied to Scotland for another 9 months but presumably we are given some assurance by him that he wants to come and presumably advise him we will keep it tight until whatever needs to work then works out... but no

Now Easterby no matter how good from what I have seen one the past few years we are worse than Dundela FC when it comes to a professional sports outfit..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Four different Head Coaches within a calendar year.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Calm down, folks! We're negotiating...

We've seen their nine month notice period, and raised them an interim coaching arrangement. I suspect the SRU will now retaliate by circulating pictures on social media showing Dan being trained to operate the ride on mower at Murrayfield. There's yer gardening leave, big man!

But in four weeks time, they'll have to start paying two people for the same job. That will concentrate minds in Edinburgh - the Scots may be canny, but they're also tighter than two coats of paint.

My money's on McFarland being here by the end of the month at the latest.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dave wrote:Four different Head Coaches within a calendar year.

Nuciwankbag has overseen 10 provincial head coach changes in his 4 years in charge.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

I see the WRU have embarrassed themselves. I mean what fecking idiots lining up head coaches to finish one job at the end of the season to start the new one at the beginning of the next - and in advance too. Plebs. Do they not realise world domination is achieved by interim and no head coach in place for at least half the season. FFS what are they playing at? Glad UR and FIRFU know their sh!t from their elbow!!