Robbie Diack

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Fraser
Squire

Re: Robbie Diack

Post by Liz Fraser »

Seagull wrote:Getting really drunk off with you so called supporters.
Robbie came here and bought 100% into the shirt.
Perhaps his 100% was not fully up to your expectations, but that is no reason to slate or worse, mock the guy.
I for one salute you Robbie, thanks for your unstinting efforts when called upon.
SUFTUM Robbie Diack
I expect 100% to be 100%.
What reason can I have to slate or mock someone for future reference?
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Blackskulllad wrote:If Robbie had been the worst player in the team we would have done a lot better. Easy to forget he impressed at a stage as did luke and Paul Marshall.

We seem to have very short memories.

Fat Nick started well then got figured out but kept trying hard, Payne played when it suited him, John afoa earner a few quid of his wages. They all had more talent than Diack not many out the same effort in.
You know what that's my problem.
I saw someone with the talent who didn't put the effort in.
For the record I slated Afoa but again unlike Diack he actually would have had offers.
Payne was a sicknote Robbie wasn't because he wasn't exactly a body on the line type was he?
Over 200 caps for a regular non starter and Ferris had 106 and was a one man club.
Just ask yourself why that was?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Liz Fraser wrote:Ferris had 106 and was a one man club.
Deliberate or Freudian slip? :)

I suppose there is an argument that it is just as good to give 75% and be available for every game than to always give 100% and miss a third of your career through injury. Especially when you are primarily the understudy in a position.

It would be interesting to ask Ferris if, with hindsight, he'd liked to have turned the dial down a notch or two* and lasted a bit longer.

* assuming his dial wasn't permanently stuck on 11
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Liz Fraser wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... LnC10mWbzv
Just watch it if you need reminding why we win feck all
Watch Payne at the tail end of that clip. He doesn't exactly say 'Oh FFS!' but his body language sort of does.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Every now and again Diack had a stormer of a game. Made you think that this guy had turned a corner. He was a disappointment in many ways.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

BR wrote:

I suppose there is an argument that it is just as good to give 75% and be available for every game than to always give 100% and miss a third of your career through injury. Especially when you are primarily the understudy in a position.

It would be interesting to ask Ferris if, with hindsight, he'd liked to have turned the dial down a notch or two* and lasted a bit longer.

It was stuck on 11 and he knew no other way. hindsight or not.
If he was the type to mentally and physically take it down a notch to preserve career longevity he's just another Diack.
That's what separates the legends of Ferris, BOD, O'Connell or Wood from the rest.
Full on heart evey time.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Liz Fraser wrote:
BR wrote:

It was stuck on 11 and he knew no other way. hindsight or not.
If he was the type to mentally and physically take it down a notch to preserve career longevity he's just another Diack.
That's what separates the legends of Ferris, BOD, O'Connell or Wood from the rest.
Full on heart evey time.
Yip but how many of those guys do you need to play a season. Someone has to tog out when all your legends are on the physio table.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Or indeed on international duty.
Leinster would have a McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock or players at that level when say SOB or Heaslip was unavailable.
Munster have Copeland, O'Donoghue, O'Donnell to cover Stander or POM.
We have had Diack for 200+ games.
As I said before where else would he have had even a portion of those appearances but here?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Liz Fraser wrote:Or indeed on international duty.
Leinster would have a McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock or players at that level when say SOB or Heaslip was unavailable.
As I said before where else would he have had even a portion of those appearances but here?
Are you rating Copeland above Diack?

He is the Munster equivalent of a Dave.

For the record, I rate Diack above Dave status. His injury profile is too good. In his long career here, perhaps his greatest asset has been availability.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Also played a lot of games at lock, funny since we were so well stocked on that area.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I find it hard to think of Saft Robbie and rugby in the same sentence.

As Liz says, where else would he and p have played 100 times ever mind 200.

I'll credit him with being a very skilled player with an almost complete absence of grunt, a smashing lineout operator and utterly brilliant at running up to players.

That apart..... :scratch: ... Nah I ain't got nuttin.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

Liz Fraser wrote:
Blackskulllad wrote:If Robbie had been the worst player in the team we would have done a lot better. Easy to forget he impressed at a stage as did luke and Paul Marshall.

We seem to have very short memories.

Fat Nick started well then got figured out but kept trying hard, Payne played when it suited him, John afoa earner a few quid of his wages. They all had more talent than Diack not many out the same effort in.
You know what that's my problem.
I saw someone with the talent who didn't put the effort in.
For the record I slated Afoa but again unlike Diack he actually would have had offers.
Payne was a sicknote Robbie wasn't because he wasn't exactly a body on the line type was he?
Over 200 caps for a regular non starter and Ferris had 106 and was a one man club.
Just ask yourself why that was?
Unfortunately the main reason Ferris only got 106 was two fold. He was carrying too much muscle and thus the forces going through his joints wrecked them. Secondly even when injured the irfu kept playing him.

Afoa made a big effort for a year... showed his talent after that deciding just to scrum.

Robbie stole plenty of ball in his early years here at the lineout and the ruck.

I'm not singling him out as a superstar like Ferris but he was an honest grafter.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Robbie Diack- Honest grafter.
Paul Marshall- Rugby Einstein
Ian Humph- Battering ram
Rodney Ah You - Duracell bunny
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I remember when someone, who up to that point had been a friend, made me a cup of Byrd's Mellow Instant Coffee. It instantly reminded me of Robbie Saffer.

I got up said goodbye, "and I mean goodbye, I can't be friends with someone who serves that insipid dung".
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BR wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:Or indeed on international duty.
Are you rating Copeland above Diack?

He is the Munster equivalent of a Dave.

For the record, I rate Diack above Dave status. His injury profile is too good. In his long career here, perhaps his greatest asset has been availability.
and being lifted in the line out you can't deny he's great at being lifted... I had read the rumour that he had been offered a new two-year contract back in January thankfully that source got it badly wrong. Actually it transpires that the last record of any contract was that he has signed until the summer of 2017 so either he has been without contract or an unannounced one year extension was provided.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU