Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:
Dave wrote:I better go and repent. Looks like the door is closing sooner than expected...

Yip ... someone beat you to trap 2 ...
It's ok I will just leave it on the ground.

Sorry it's not white.
Who's shitt on the ground?
Robbie ... but he's not bad in the air.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Great hands ... doesn't need a poop scoop.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The door is closing Robbie. Put the fecking ball down!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

One problem going forward is that our likely best hooker in a year or two is currently fourth choice.. who do we get rid of to ensure he comes through properly?

Payne will be gone so from having the best 15 in the NH and Charles as an OK back-up we are down to two utility backs in Ludik and/or Addison although according to Sale he is a 12. Whatever the squad will be a lot thinner as we cut costs...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote:One problem going forward is that our likely best hooker in a year or two is currently fourth choice.. who do we get rid of to ensure he comes through properly?

Payne will be gone so from having the best 15 in the NH and Charles as an OK back-up we are down to two utility backs in Ludik and/or Addison although according to Sale he is a 12. Whatever the squad will be a lot thinner as we cut costs...
Lend him to Leinster - they're a bit weak there.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:Second row looks like a problem area. Are Regan/McCusker ready to step up?
Know nothing about McCusker, as for Regan, someone who watches Hinch more than I did this season can comment, but the last time I saw them (last game of season vs Belvedere) he was playing at 6, with Donnan and Simpson in second row.. Now I guess that may be a good thing insofar as its a reflection of better mobility/skills, but it had an echo of a couple of years ago when the likes of Dow couldn't get a start in their main position..
Dave wrote:Loosehead is a mess. Will O'Hagan get his debut before he turns 25?
Think we need reinforcements, not sure that O'Sullivan in the academy is the answer either.. Peter Dooley anyone??
Dave wrote:Any outside backs coming through?
I haven't seen much of him, but was very impressed by Hume - serious specimen, great acceleration for a big man, good footballer too, and can even kick goals - might need to tighten up his defensive technique and reads, but I can see him hitting the squad soon.

Mark Keane and Angus Kernoghan were in this years 20s, and in fairness you can't really make a judgment on the basis of a couple of matches, but I didn't think they stood out particularly

Not back 3, but I have also been impressed by Butler any time I've seen him - a bit reminiscent of a slightly lighter Chris Farrell.
..one more thing
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Back three isn't looking the most exciting in terms of prospects right now, I do hope that Joe Finnegan might join the academy when he comes back from New Zealand as he really looked quite the athlete with a hell of a boot as well. Aaron Sexton is there at u18s level who is tremendously quick, not sure where he's going to end up between the centre and the back three (I will also say that for some reason he looks to me a bit like Ricky Andrew but hopefully he'll shake that).
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Youngsters are fine but for 12 months expect to be sucking a hind bieber as their inexperience is exploited by all .

The year after you might have a team to compete.

The problem is you need a player to monitor and advise them on the pitch both Henderson and Best are to involved to perform that role and with out Payne at 15 no other back appears to have the experience to do that job on the field with inexperienced backs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:One problem going forward is that our likely best hooker in a year or two is currently fourth choice.. who do we get rid of to ensure he comes through properly?
Dave Herring
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

justinr73 wrote:

Lend him to Leinster - they're a bit weak there.
Don't joke, that's not beyond the realm of possibility.
He nearly went earlier this season.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

therealspratt wrote:Back three isn't looking the most exciting in terms of prospects right now, I do hope that Joe Finnegan might join the academy when he comes back from New Zealand as he really looked quite the athlete with a hell of a boot as well. Aaron Sexton is there at u18s level who is tremendously quick, not sure where he's going to end up between the centre and the back three (I will also say that for some reason he looks to me a bit like Ricky Andrew but hopefully he'll shake that).
Ricky is working as a Head Coach in Valencia.

Perhaps he could come back and translate for Jordi.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Has Payne announced his retirement and leaving the shores of his homeland yet
Available for weddings May to August only
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:
therealspratt wrote:Back three isn't looking the most exciting in terms of prospects right now, I do hope that Joe Finnegan might join the academy when he comes back from New Zealand as he really looked quite the athlete with a hell of a boot as well. Aaron Sexton is there at u18s level who is tremendously quick, not sure where he's going to end up between the centre and the back three (I will also say that for some reason he looks to me a bit like Ricky Andrew but hopefully he'll shake that).
Ricky is working as a Head Coach in Valencia.

Perhaps he could come back and translate for Jordi.
Good for Ricky, just a couple of hours or so up the road from me, wonder does he need help from The Expert?

Unlike most, I actually liked Ricky ........... to an extent, if only someone had taught him to pass. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

TheSnapper wrote:Has Payne announced his retirement and leaving the shores of his homeland yet
How long until he can sue the Lions for ending his career? The other question is does Girrid figure in Dan's plans or for that matter, does Dan feature in Girrid's or is he offski, perhaps to sort out the Blues defence in Auckland. He's a damn sight better than Les Kiss anyway, that much is clear.

If he were to be available, i.e. hanging around NI, I'd sack Peel with the same relish that Slogan had for the two young gentlemen when pretending to have figured in the decision, and make Girrid backs & defence coach this morning.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Is Slogan going? Still waiting - gutless vindictive person.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!