Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by Dave »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:Why would he have to retire?
He's contracted to Montpellier.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Midi is running with the story that Ruan’s family is moving over, he is staying but going to come back to Belfast on off days

Based on that you would asusme he turned down the call up to SA as he is going to be spending summer in Belfast, rather than touring
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

breakdown wrote:Midi is running with the story that Ruan’s family is moving over, he is staying but going to come back to Belfast on off days

Based on that you would asusme he turned down the call up to SA as he is going to be spending summer in Belfast, rather than touring
Its all the good weather.

Sure whats the difference between the Costa Del Bangor and the Eastern Cape these days?
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Dave wrote:
I understand that but I’m sure if Altrad felt that there was a better option for Montpellier at 9 he would be happy to get Ruan off his payroll.

Look I don’t think it’s actually going to happen but I thought that maybe there was another reason you were aware.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:
GUBU wrote:
GUBU wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:Rumour mill going a dinger based on the Altrad interview following the Top 14 loss to Castres - Pienaar & Frans Steyn families moved to Ireland as they haven’t settled in France. Google translate may have a lot to answer for but that’s what it appears to say. Allowing my imagination to run riot there appears only one outcome ...

Pienaar & Steyn would be 2 very good signings ... very very good.
Given our current injury problems, a player like Steyn, who could play accross several positions in the backline where needed and support the development of our own talent would be an excellent signing.

Pienaar won't happen in a playing capacity.
GUBU you’re the 2nd person to say Pienaar can’t/won’t come in a playing capacity. Is there a reason why he can’t or is this just an opinion? I don’t see any space for him on the coaching ticket for next season.
An opinion, but one based on the available information and some reasonable assumptions.

First and foremost, he is still under contract with Montpellier - for another two years. Unless Big Vern is overcome by generosity - and he could be after this weekend - it's unlikely they will let him go, and very unlikely that they will let him leave to play elsewhere without a hefty sum by way of compensation for cancelling his contract.

I'd always assumed that this was Ruan's last playing contract, and an opportunity to make a few quid before he retires, so that might also be a factor. Could we justify matching his current salary, and would it be wrong to assume that a player who gave us such great service at a lesser cost will simply forego a major injection into his pension fund?

Last but not least, the IRFU blocked his retention - at a time when there was a compelling case for keeping him. I can't see the Nucifuhrer rowing back on that decision. Worth also reminding ourselves that in truth, with Cooney performing above expectations, our primary need has now shifted further out the backline, where Ruan's claims are not so strong.

I'd love to see him back in these parts - but I don't think it will be as a player.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Steyn seen in Blend & Batch just now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Steyn seen in Blend & Batch just now

Seen him in guilt trip with Joe.
hugothemasterofdisaster
Novice

Post by hugothemasterofdisaster »

Dave wrote:

Apparently Munster have been on the blower to Warren Gatland and he's off down there tomorrow.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:
Dave wrote:
I understand that but I’m sure if Altrad felt that there was a better option for Montpellier at 9 he would be happy to get Ruan off his payroll.

Look I don’t think it’s actually going to happen but I thought that maybe there was another reason you were aware.
I'm not sure how you would be so sure about that. Ruan has been excellent for Montpellier all season. I can't see them signing anyone better the year before the world cup. One bad game will not see him so easily disgarded.

The other reason why he will not be signed as a player is that Nuciwank will not allow it. He already refused him a contract renewal and has been boasting about what a good decision this was. There is zero chance of Ruan returning.
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

hugothemasterofdisaster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Apparently Munster have been on the blower to Warren Gatland and he's off down there tomorrow.

Surely the fact that there are 2.5 branches of General Merchants within a couple of miles of Ravers
would be too much for any self respecting latte loving world class rugby player to resist?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

caledoniancelt wrote:
hugothemasterofdisaster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Surely the fact that there are 2.5 branches of General Merchants within a couple of miles of Ravers
would be too much for any self respecting latte loving world class rugby player to resist?
Belfast people think Boer War is a hog roast establishment

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Dave wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:
Dave wrote:

I'm not sure how you would be so sure about that. Ruan has been excellent for Montpellier all season. I can't see them signing anyone better the year before the world cup. One bad game will not see him so easily disgarded.

The other reason why he will not be signed as a player is that Nuciwank will not allow it. He already refused him a contract renewal and has been boasting about what a good decision this was. There is zero chance of Ruan returning.
No I don’t actually believe that it will happen, for a number of different reasons some of which your self & GauBU mention. It was the certainty with which you both appeared to suggest it wouldn’t happen. I wondered if there was something other than “opinion” that I wasn’t aware of.

There aren’t too many 9’s better than Ruan never mind available season prior to RWC.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mohed Altrad, the president of the MHR beaten Saturday night in the top 14 by Castres (13-29) reveals that the family of the South African semi-mêlée moved to Northern Ireland the same day of the final.

In the wake of the Top 14 final lost by Montpellier against Castres (29-13) , Mohed Altrad sheds a new light on Ruan Pienaar's performance. The president of the MHR reveals indeed that the family of the half-melee South African never adapted to Montpellier and that it moved for Belfast the day of the final. "The family moved to Belfast yesterday (Saturday) ... François Steyn's family is also leaving for family reasons, the two families can not adapt to Montpellier and have decided to move to Ireland. Ruan decided to take a small house for both of them and continue living in Montpellier. "

In what state of mind did he play the match?
Arrived from Ulster last summer, Ruan Pienaar is engaged with the MHR until June 2019. At the end of his contract, the former Springbok must join the staff of the Irish province.

In what state of mind did the player start the final at the Stade de France? The question arises as the half-scrum delivered a performance at the antipodes of the one, very successful in Lyon, in the semifinals. And in what state of mind, still, will he make the recovery in Montpellier, far from his family? Mohed Altrad acknowledges it: "This is not a great context for the future, how will he live that?"
Very clear that the families have gone but the players are staying and a clear acknowledgement that Ruan will not take up the option for a third year.

Now will yis shut yer faces, he will never play for Ulster again. As for coaching, he'll start in the academy or I'm a banana.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

UR have said the coaching ticket is complete so what would the Great One be coming back to do?

New Sparky?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND