Payne defence coach - confirmed

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Payne defence coach - confirmed

Post by Kofi Annan »

I think it’s a poor decision . Really any type of coach should go somewhere away from their team and cut their teeth, trust themselves and go develop , I don’t get this “he is a brill defence coach “ bit at all.

I am prepared to be wrong on this, but I don’t think I am.

So what’s Malones new title, was he not Defensive Coach, Skills Coach, Analyst and chief coffee maker.

We are just doing the same all over again.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Soon have more coaches than players ffs.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Kofi Annan wrote:I think it’s a poor decision . Really any type of coach should go somewhere away from their team and cut their teeth, trust themselves and go develop , I don’t get this “he is a brill defence coach “ bit at all.

So what’s Malones new title, was he not Defensive Coach, Skills Coach, Analyst and chief coffee maker.

Disagree Kofi

Plenty of coaches go straight in from where they played. Townsend started at Borders (albeit a massive step down from Ulster) and Cullen and I think Girvan Dempsey started at Leinster. Jones has done the same as Payne and Munster was Flannery's first rugby coaching job. Geordan Murphy over at Leicester as well. None of those guys you would say are poor coaches but unlike Clarke, Doak, Malone, they all have proper credentials as opposed to a single European cup win
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »

Dave wrote:Pienaar
Jackson
Trimble
Olding
Payne
Bowe
Piutau
Where have all the ££££££££s gone!!!!
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

breakdown wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:I think it’s a poor decision . Really any type of coach should go somewhere away from their team and cut their teeth, trust themselves and go develop , I don’t get this “he is a brill defence coach “ bit at all.

Disagree Kofi

Plenty of coaches go straight in from where they played. Townsend started at Borders (albeit a massive step down from Ulster) and Cullen and I think Girvan Dempsey started at Leinster. Jones has done the same as Payne and Munster was Flannery's first rugby coaching job. Geordan Murphy over at Leicester as well. None of those guys you would say are poor coaches but unlike Clarke, Doak, Malone, they all have proper credentials as opposed to a single European cup win
Rob Baxter.

The defence rests, m’lud.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

breakdown wrote:
thecrouch wrote:Is Malone gone? Are we getting a new skills coach?
Ruan skills coach confirmed
Don’t think it’s happening this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Has there been an official statement from UR or the FIRFU to inform us that Payne has retired? Did i miss that one?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

stickinout wrote:Has there been an official statement from UR or the FIRFU to inform us that Payne has retired? Did i miss that one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44279099
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
stickinout wrote:Has there been an official statement from UR or the FIRFU to inform us that Payne has retired? Did i miss that one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44279099
http://ulsterrugby.com/news/17354.php#.Wwv6cSAh2Uk
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Olding to brive on a 2 yr deal signed by Jeremy Davidson. Great news. One down one to go.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

>Off_Topic_Man
Dharper wrote:Olding to brive on a 2 yr deal signed by Jeremy Davidson. Great news. One down one to go.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'd agree with this. Filling in as defence coach for a few months when still technically a player is not the same as taking the post full time. It could be said that he was doing a few months as an intern and it went really well so the powers that be know what they're getting. It is taking a big chance, he's no Ruan Pienaar after all.
The flip side of that is that Mark McCall was great as Solly's assistant fresh from retiring as a player. His problems only emerged when he became head coach and the different relationship needed did not work. It could work and I really hope it does.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm happy with this. He is incredibly well spoken of by players in the Ulster and Ireland set-ups for his influence and leadership. I have faith.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Plus the fact that he's being brought in to shadow the Ireland coaching team is a sign they see potential in him, possibly with a view to have him involved when Farrell goes.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:Plus the fact that he's being brought in to shadow the Ireland coaching team is a sign they see potential in him, possibly with a view to have him involved when Farrell goes.

Jared was viewed by Schmidt as a crucial part of his defensive system.
I feel he is part of the Schmidtisation of Ulster and you are going to see Ulster play similar patterns to Ireland in defence particularly. the gospel according to Joe and Andy.