Dan Soper

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Dan Soper

Post by Dave »

Ulster Rugby has confirmed that Daniel Soper will join the coaching team next season in the position of Skills Coach.

Folowing on from the announcement of new Head Coach Dan McFarland and the news that former player Jared Payne will assume the role of Defence Coach, Soper's appointment completes the Ulster coaching ticket for next season along with Assistant Coach Dwayne Peel, Scrum Coach Aaron Dundon and Head Analyst Niall Malone.

Soper will be a familiar face to followers of domestic rugby, where he has achieved considerable success in the local club and school game. The 41-year-old native of Alexandra, New Zealand, moved to Ireland in 1998 and played for both Banbridge RFC and Ballynahinch RFC. He also had spells playing for North Otago in New Zealand's NPC and Padova in Italy.

He was then part of the coaching team that guided 'Hinch to the 'grand slam' of Ulster and All Ireland Cup and League success in 2009. In 2010, Soper rejoined Banbridge as Head Coach and he has overseen a steady upward trajectory in club fortunes, highlighted in two promotions in the All Ireland League. Soper will continue to be involved at Banbridge next season.

In the school game, Soper cut his teeth with Sullivan Upper before spending seven years at Ballyclare High School, during which time the school reached four Danske Bank Ulster Schools' Cup semi-finals and a first final in almost 40 years. Most recently, as Director of Rugby at RBAI, Soper collected three Schools' Cup titles in a row from 2015 to 2017. He has also coached the Ulster U18 Schools squad.

Commenting on the announcement of his new role, Daniel said:

"When I spoke to Bryn (Cunningham) and the other coaches, I was really impressed with the vision they have about how they want the team to play and where they want the club to go, and I feel my strengths are well suited to the role they want me to play in that.

"There are a lot of the players that I have worked with over the years, from Michael (Lowry) and James (Hume) at 'Inst' in recent years, right back to Darren Cave who I coached at Sullivan, as well as all the players on the Ulster Schools and Banbridge teams. 

"Also, as someone who has been a Season Ticket holder for the past number of years, I've always watched the development of players with a keen eye so it's really exciting that I'll now have the opportunity to help further that development.

"The prospect of working in the professional game is something that I am really enthused about, I expect it to be another step up but it's a challenge that I'm really looking forward to."

Bryn Cunningham, Ulster's Operations Director, added:

"From speaking to Dan, Jared and Daniel, as well as our current coaches, I know they are all really looking forward to linking up and getting stuck into the new season. This is a great opportunity for a revitalised coaching group to come in with fresh ideas and a renewed determination to take Ulster back to where we all want to be.

"There are very few coaches who can boast the level of success and respect that Daniel has in the local game and this, along with his undoubtable coaching aptitudes, will ensure he is a great addition to the setup here at Kingspan Stadium."
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Dan Soper

Post by kingofthehill »

Excellent appointment.

Bryn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Now....

Did they worldwide scout beyond Lisburn and get him at Banbridge...

Or did they get him at Osborne Park?

:lol:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Amiga500 wrote:Now....

Did they worldwide scout beyond Lisburn and get him at Banbridge...

Or did they get him at Osborne Park?

:lol:
He was up at Sprucefield for the shappin.

A welcome addition.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Still have Peel
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

kingofthehill wrote:Excellent appointment.

Bryn Image

100% disagree , yet again Ulster are Bargain Bucket Shopping. totally underwhelmed, Ulster you are taking the pi$$
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Not being funny here or starting a big fight ... but can I ask Gerry ... who exactly do you think Ulster could :
A) Afford
B) Would be willing or able to come here [as if we are currently some kind of big shot team]
C)Would be prepared to put their neck on the block at this shyt hole?

It's OK being underwhelmed but as far as I can see - despite what dreams we might all have - Ulster are seen in the rugby family as in free fall ... governed by muppets, told what to do by D4 and have loyal yet very deluded fans.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Gerald Out
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Promotion for Malone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:Not being funny here or starting a big fight ... but can I ask Gerry ... who exactly do you think Ulster could :
A) Afford
B) Would be willing or able to come here [as if we are currently some kind of big shot team]
C)Would be prepared to put their neck on the block at this shyt hole?

It's OK being underwhelmed but as far as I can see - despite what dreams we might all have - Ulster are seen in the rugby family as in free fall ... governed by muppets, told what to do by D4 and have loyal yet very deluded fans.
Don't. This will start the next five pages of a Stuart Lancaster love in.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Russ wrote:Promotion for Malone

1B next year
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

What actually does he do? Looking at our performances last season, there is zero evidence that his skills coaching or analysis is worth a shyte.

Basic skills letting us down constantly and an inability to break sides down or adapt within a game. Surprised he didn’t get the chop.

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pg106 wrote:

What actually does he do? Looking at our performances last season, there is zero evidence that his skills coaching or analysis is worth a shyte.

Basic skills letting us down constantly and an inability to break sides down or adapt within a game. Surprised he didn’t get the chop.

Head Analyst

Can only imagine his actual job involves more of the anal than the analyst

pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

Russ wrote:
pg106 wrote:

Head Analyst

Can only imagine his actual job involves more of the anal than the analyst

With added duties of “head”... must be good at something then

Tazz #15
Initiate

Post by Tazz #15 »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Excellent appointment.

Bryn Image

100% disagree , yet again Ulster are Bargain Bucket Shopping. totally underwhelmed, Ulster you are taking the pi$$
ImageImage