UBL 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: UBL 2018/19

Post by kingofthehill »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:Couple of interesting implications there, mostly that all the eggs are being put in the Hinch basket. I don't think they'll stay up no matter what they do, while it's good for Hinch to get those top players I feel sorry for Ballymena who have already lost McBurney and may struggle to rebuild. Is Kernohan on your books or with QUB?

Another implication is that Banbridge are in need of a 10... is their current out half not going to be widely available? :stir:
Bruce Houston to Banbridge. Callum Smith a much better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

I guess part of it is trying to keep Hinch up, the other part is giving fringe and academy players exposure to rugby at as high a level as possible.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

kingofthehill wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:Couple of interesting implications there, mostly that all the eggs are being put in the Hinch basket. I don't think they'll stay up no matter what they do, while it's good for Hinch to get those top players I feel sorry for Ballymena who have already lost McBurney and may struggle to rebuild. Is Kernohan on your books or with QUB?

Another implication is that Banbridge are in need of a 10... is their current out half not going to be widely available? :stir:

Indeed, King, Callum Smith has been terrific for Malone for the last couple of seasons and has been under-rated by the Ulster contingent, IMO. Conor Fox at Armagh is also very good. I was impressed by the MCB 10 in the Schools' final, too.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Is there not supposed to be more A matches this coming season ?
If that is correct and with a smaller squad it wont be long to Hinch lose half their contracted players.
Verdict a long painful season for them with prospect of straight drop or playoff to stay in following season.
A lot depends on the 1B match draw for how it goes and timing of matches but I see another squeaky bum season in it again.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rocky wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Indeed, King, Callum Smith has been terrific for Malone for the last couple of seasons and has been under-rated by the Ulster contingent, IMO. Conor Fox at Armagh is also very good. I was impressed by the MCB 10 in the Schools' final, too.
Thomas Armstrong was offered academy but decided to do medicine instead.

Fox is good but not better than ROD.

I know they aren’t the same age but Callum should of been given academy ahead of Houston.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I wonder who are the clubs looking to pay overseas players, Ulster clubs have been given a warning by D4 yet Southern Clubs are still blatantly advertising, well I suppose all the Money in down south.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”