Ulster Vs Edinburgh Friday 7th Sept 7.35pm KO Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Vs Edinburgh Friday 7th Sept 7.35pm KO Premier Sp

Post by Dave »

Just watched the 2nd half on TV. That looked a fairly certain penalty at the end. Herbst had his kness on the ground and the embra player continue to rip the ball. It was a fine margin but technically the correct call. Also it was not a knock on by Cooney for the scrum that led up to the pen for them to make it 29-27.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: (apart from a couple of missed forward passes that he might have gone back to check on TV)
Not aware of the particular circumstances, but remember the ref can't go back as far looking for forward passes as he used to be able to.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:Right, let's address the elephant in the room. The defense. No linespeed. We are still trying to wrestle the ball from from the oppo and haemorrhage yards with every tackle. Edinburgh on the other hand, their linespeed put us under pressure. In with the chop and someone else comes in over the ball. Defending out wide was poor. I can't decide whether Henry can't tackle or he just doesn't. A few times he just watched players go past.

We should not be conceding 29 points to Edinburgh at home, even with lowered expectations.

FOJP
Defence is too passive, but the flip side is that Edinburgh went at it hammer and tongs but couldn't keep it going for 80. Our attack kept going and eventually broke through.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:Right, let's address the elephant in the room. The defense. No linespeed. We are still trying to wrestle the ball from from the oppo and haemorrhage yards with every tackle. Edinburgh on the other hand, their linespeed put us under pressure. In with the chop and someone else comes in over the ball. Defending out wide was poor. I can't decide whether Henry can't tackle or he just doesn't. A few times he just watched players go past.

We should not be conceding 29 points to Edinburgh at home, even with lowered expectations.

FOJP
Defence is too passive, but the flip side is that Edinburgh went at it hammer and tongs but couldn't keep it going for 80. Our attack kept going and eventually broke through.
We had the majority of possession and territory in the last two games. Eventually, if the ball retention is good enough we will break through. If, however, our defense does not improve then we will start to lose a few close encounters.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Defence starts with your back row for the last 3 years the Ulster back row has had a different combination nearly every week last night was no different . On first phase things seem fine but by the third disorganisation sets in and the Ulster look vulnerable wide, and yield yards.

If Ulster can get a settled back row playing a rotation of defensive plays things might improve.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The were borderline penalties against Nordi and Hendy too. Anyone who watched the replay anything to add?

We looked fitter and had more impact off bench, both of which told. Not sure we particularly did anything different second half tactically, but definitely stepped up the pace in attack.

The passive defence has been a problem. We seemed to struggle for 10 phases to make a yard then turn it over. Embra seemed to make yards with ease at times. In the end I think we just wore them down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:The were borderline penalties against Nordi and Hendy too. Anyone who watched the replay anything to add?

We looked fitter and had more impact off bench, both of which told. Not sure we particularly did anything different second half tactically, but definitely stepped up the pace in attack.

The passive defence has been a problem. We seemed to struggle for 10 phases to make a yard then turn it over. Embra seemed to make yards with ease at times. In the end I think we just wore them down.

The Hendo didn't release. You could see a clear release from Nordi but the ref didn't didn't see it, in fairness, the ref did instruct him to release. Nordi said he didn't hear him though.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

rumncoke wrote:Defence starts with your back row for the last 3 years the Ulster back row has had a different combination nearly every week last night was no different . On first phase things seem fine but by the third disorganisation sets in and the Ulster look vulnerable wide, and yield yards.

If Ulster can get a settled back row playing a rotation of defensive plays things might improve.
I would say Leinster had more backrow combinations in the last 3 years and it didn't do them any harm. The days of having a settled back row are over. You need 6-7 players all capable of playing in any starting 3 with each knowing what their roles and responsibilities are. It takes good coaching and time on the training pitch to perfect.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Deraless wrote:
Correct Dera Reidy and the two props injected some much needed energy.

The management have decided after 160 minutes not to use Shanahan or Curtis, draw what conclusions you want from that?

Disappointed not to see McBurney for the last 20 minutes, he was excellent against Scarlets in his cameo as was Kernohan.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Thought the big differences in the second half were the tempo of play and the breakdown. Better, faster clear outs allowed eh tempo to be higher and the resultant quicker ball meant their defence didn't have as much time to get organised and was narrower allowing us to attack out wide.

The back row were pretty poor at the breakdown in the first half considering how strong they looked on paper. Second half was better. Nordi looked a little rusty/off the pace but came into it more in the second half and I expect him to improve.

The replacements certainly added new energy/impetus. I thought both front rows performed well and I don't know much about O'Sullivan but he looks at home at that level in the scrum and loose.

I liked the cut of Addison. Very solid in the air. Does all the things you would expect a good full back to do but he also looks pretty dangerous going forwards. Burns did nothing spectacular but he does bring the ball very flat and look to put people away, hopefully he will improve. O'Connor and Hendo definitely first choice for the 2nd row.

We need to improve our intensity in the first half. There is no way we can go through the season coming back in games from 20 points down.

McCloskey and Cave are going well. However I would like to see McCloskey used much more as a decoy when everyone expects him to smash it up.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
Deraless wrote:The were borderline penalties against Nordi and Hendy too. Anyone who watched the replay anything to add?

The Hendo didn't release. You could see a clear release from Nordi but the ref didn't didn't see it, in fairness, the ref did instruct him to release. Nordi said he didn't hear him though.
And the ref told him that's not my problem.

The ref was strict but accurate in my opinion, he also savaged Embra giving a relieving penalty late on which started as a scrum to us but they bitched and moaned and he upped it to a penalty, their offence not playing the ball when instructed to twice. Mr Berry was harsh but very fair.

I`ve no interest in gowls whinging about missing forward passes, there were several that were borderline but he cannot go back and get them checked, barring to a degree, when a try is scored. he also had no right to involve the TMO when their backrow batted the ball deliberately into touch, he asked the FIRFUtwat with the fleg who said he could not be sure.

May I establish early in the season that if we start gurning about refs & specific decisions as excuses we are a Warren Gatland. Happily no need to look for excuses just yet................thanks to FIGHTING FOR EVERY INCH. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Deraless wrote:
Correct Dera Reidy and the two props injected some much needed energy.

The management have decided after 160 minutes not to use Shanahan or Curtis, draw what conclusions you want from that?

Disappointed not to see McBurney for the last 20 minutes, he was excellent against Scarlets in his cameo as was Kernohan.
I`d conclude that both matches were too close to throw on guys needlessly, Not throwing on McBurney was also correct particularly in the light of Red snaffling a loose ball with 5 mins to go when they were in front of the posts, experienced head did the right thing without the ref thinking he jumped the gun.

But yes, the difference was upping the pace in the second half. I`d also go as far as to say that even if we`d taken the last KO last season, we probably wouldn`t have had the composure to keep it through the several phases we did. The benefit of a happier camp and good coaches?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I also see a difference in how the centres are playing in defence, both encouraged to hit the breakdown, both appearing as "guard" on breakdowns regularly, both encouraged to shoot in defence and nail the ball carrier early and both have made turnovers in both games to date, two of McCloskey`s last night absolute clinkers, Cave`s last night the usual brilliant timing, as was his we delayed pass for Addison to send Cooney in.

Is Cooney even quicker than he was last season, he looks as fit as a robber`s dog?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote:We're just one pass away from opening the floodgates lol

Maybe sometime in December.

In other news the attendance looks even lower than last week? So much for Friday nights.

11,994 (11,882 last week), although I agree, it looked and felt much lower.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote:
Deraless wrote:We're just one pass away from opening the floodgates lol

Maybe sometime in December.

In other news the attendance looks even lower than last week? So much for Friday nights.

11,994 (11,882 last week), although I agree, it looked and felt much lower.
Logan leaves and attendances plummet :scratch:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18