Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Post by stickinout »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Digressing briefly to a point made by Snipe, only 2 decent 9s in Ireland, I believe that is a miserly look at things, McGrath the Mexicanbastard is given no credit whatsoever here, OK he's a Mexican and you couldn;t like one who hangs around D4 long enough, but he's better than given credit for. Reminds me of Eoin Reddan in so far as he played almost his whole career behind exceptional packs at Wasps & Mexico and was always open to "aye, right, but how would he do behind an Ulster pack circa 2017". He and Marmion are considerably better than given credit for here. Just saying like.
As you well know I'm the very embodiment of firm but fair and always give a fella a fair crack.
I agree, McGrath is very much in the Reddan mold. A solid and reliable pro, but my take on international class is a high bar that he doesn't quite reach. Marmion is also a similarly good player who along with Cooney were much of a muchness until Cooney landed with us a raised his game considerably.

Some quite ordinary players have been given international jerseys in the last ten years, in positions other than 9. I don't see how there's that much of a gap between the likes of Marmion, McGrath and our 9.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I'd take leave to call any muthafukka a liar who claimed that they have not been amazed and in a certain amount of disbelief at what John Cooney has produced. Like the virgin birth, nobody saw it cumming. I am not doing down Cooney, he's been outstanding, I am unhappy that happy coincidence makes some think that it was a FIRFU masterstroke, giving us a gem in waiting, the fact is that JC was slipping behind Blade as well as Marmion at Connacht.
I've always rated him higher than Marmion (I didn't see why he is rated so highly at all). Blade I didn't know enough about - but now I'd rate Blade higher than Marmion (I still don't see why he is rated so highly at all!).

But very (and pleasantly) surprised by Cooney's ascent, his running game is excellent. To the extent I get a bit annoyed when I continually read that "Ahh, Cooney could be Murray's understudy".

I don't think Conor Murray could have done any better - and likely would have done worse - for us last season. In my eyes, Cooney is not challenging to be lead of the supporting cast, but directly challenging Murray for the 9 jersey. Of course, Joe will see it different as Murray has a lot of credit in the bank.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:Credit where it is due.
Dave Nucifora is the mastermind and genius who got you Cooney.
Nuci is the Great Helmsman of Irish rugby steering the ship through the shoals and rocks of disaster. :duck:
Suck my Lil you wab-faced Warren Gatland.

Lest you think you have hit on an ingenious way to wind up Nordies, growthefuckup, I react every time just because I thoroughly enjoy swearing at Mexicanbastards, ram that sideways up yer Warren Gatland you hateful Mexican Warren Gatland.

You're welcome. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Somebody is faking a scam I didn’t post the above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks as if you were monkeyed during the postprandial hiatus Ron'n, didn't know if you were blown up or stuffed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I must have touched something I shouldn't
-- as the Bishop said to the Actress

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:I must have touched something I shouldn't
-- as the Bishop said to the Actress

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
A more credible response Ron'n. :thumleft:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Nuci is the Great Helmsman of Irish rugby steering the ship through the shoals and rocks of disaster. :duck:

Lest you think you have hit on an ingenious way to wind up Nordies, growthefuckup, I react every time just because I thoroughly enjoy swearing at Mexicanbastards, ram that sideways up yer Warren Gatland you hateful Mexican Warren Gatland.

+1

Yeah, fcuk off ya bluenose kunt.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Firstly, a massive well done to John Cooney for his fantastic performances for Ulster so far which have surpassed everyone’s expectations. Credit for that shpuld go to him as he has clearly worked very hard and had the belief in his own ability. As someone (maybe Baggy?) said, it has worked out better than anyone would have expected.

Talk of an Ireland call up for Cooney is justified although whether he is now better than McGrath or Marmion purely as a scrum half is open to debate. If you strip out the fact that a) he plays for ulster and so we watch him every week and have a natural bias as a resukt and b) he is an excellent goal kicker. then i am not convinced he is better. Of course the goal kicking may be reason for a bench spot for ireland which is fair enough, but I am not convinced he would be a certain starter for the other provinces. He would be competing for the jersey but not necessarily nailed on.

Exeter fans would probably tell you that they would far rather have had Ian Whitten than any of our centres over the past few years (maybe Payne excepted) and some would even say they are glad they had Steenson over PJ (pre trial related stuff). However most ulster fans bemoan not having Steenson as Whitten for the SID rather than being first choice starters. Similarly i have no doubt any if the other 3 provinces would love to have Cooney but it is debatable whether he would be their starting 9 in a key match.

None if this is to undermine John Cooney or to say that he is not worthy of a chance with Ireland, but he has become invaluable to Ulster for some of the wrong reasons (chronic lack of alternatives at 9 or credibke goal kicker) as well as his own good form.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I am feeling bad about winding you up over Nucifora and Cooney and the departure of the Great One. I enjoy a good lashing from Baggy.

You were treated very poorly by the Union at the time. That's the settled view of most Leinster fans.

But when all is said and done, if a Martian landed in Ulster tomorrow and looked at what has happened, he might say that you ended up doing reasonably good business in getting Cooney who is a player with a good future ahead of him whereas Ruan doesn't realistically have much left in the tank. From the point of view of Schmidt and Nucifora, they now have another good option at scrum half, even outhalf back up.

Early days, but the same gentlemen may feel that they are going to be vindicated shifting Carbery off to Limerick.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

No he was not. Cooney arranged the move through his agent entirely on his own behalf when he heard Pienaar was being exiled. It was phuck all to do with that rat. Nucitosser wanted all those 9s that Pienaar was holding back at Ulster to take his place. i.e. None. He didn't give a ratsfux about rugby at Ulster other than to make himself even more hated than he was in Australia from whence he was rightfully booted.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cooney coming to Ulster was for the most part if not entirely down to one man namely Cooney. We got lucky that he wanted to come here most likely to prove a point to himself if not others within the IRFU.. In doing so he appears to have bought into what playing for the white shirt means to most Ulstermen.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:I am feeling bad about winding you up over Nucifora and Cooney and the departure of the Great One. I enjoy a good lashing from Baggy.

You were treated very poorly by the Union at the time. That's the settled view of most Leinster fans.

But when all is said and done, if a Martian landed in Ulster tomorrow and looked at what has happened, he might say that you ended up doing reasonably good business in getting Cooney who is a player with a good future ahead of him whereas Ruan doesn't realistically have much left in the tank. From the point of view of Schmidt and Nucifora, they now have another good option at scrum half, even outhalf back up.

Early days, but the same gentlemen may feel that they are going to be vindicated shifting Carbery off to Limerick.
OK, now that you are attempting to be other than a WUM, a considered response.

There is sense there, HOWEVER, as others have told you, I don't doubt that Cooney joining Ulster may well have crossed the minds of the gruesome twosome in D4, however, it is public knowledge that Cooney himself was the prime mover in seizing an opportunity. This was not Nucifora planning, this was an ambitious player, no nipper at this point, taking what for him was probably the last chance to make a name for himself.

Grabbed it with both hands and we are all greatly relieved that Nucifora's actions have been less disastrous than most expected. That is all entirely down to John Cooney, SFA to do with the hateful & hated Australian scumbeg.

That it has worked out very well for both Cooney & Ulster is marvellous, that Cooney obviously has potentially many more years in him that Ruan is beyond argument, none of this, however, makes one iota of difference to the absolute fact that Pienaar's treatment by Nucibastard and the FIRFU was disgraceful given his contribution and the fact that he showed incredible loyalty to Ulster, including ignoring huge financial reward to move on.

As we know, Nucifora remains the only rugby coach in history to have been sacked after winning Super Rugby, his players hated him so much they got together and said, he goes or we go. Tells you a lot about the man, I hope he dies very very soon, he'll never get one back pat from me no matter what happens at the hated FIRFU.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:I am feeling bad about winding you up over Nucifora and Cooney and the departure of the Great One. I enjoy a good lashing from Baggy.

I saw a thread today where a munt langer had asked where Carberry would be if he stayed in NZ

General consensus was he wouldn't have survived schools rugby and definitely wouldn't have made Mitre 10

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm getting tired of the John Cooney has done well analysis.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

+1

Yeah, fcuk off ya bluenose kunt.
Punchline to the worlds greatest joke circa PTQ 1985.. except it was a red nose :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought