Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Can I come out from behind the sofa yet ?
I think so.

It's nearly 4.30am and I have finally crept out for a recce and all seems to be clear ...

... for now! :oops:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

stickinout wrote: Hey Shan,

Apart from one loopy pass out to someone on the wing to score and scoring from open play, please edumacate me on anything that Carberry did to impress you? I didn't even know he was playing for the first 20 minutes, he was like the invisible man.
Hey yerself a chara - Well firstly I never said he impressed me. We have become accustomed to 10's who make howlers, kick poorly and end up having meltdowns which impact those around him. Joey won't do any of that it seems and if he can stay fairly secure while pulling out some good passing and use his evasive running ability he'll get a thumbs up.

That all being said I'm not providing any verdict until he has played a number of games against decent opposition. Hopefully he'll get the chance to lineup against Sexton next week as it will be a challenge for him to be the best 10 on the pitch. The match will be oozing with hype to such an extent I almost feel sorry for any poor Ulster fecker who decides to view it. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Kinda glad I watched Strictly.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Such a drubbing in an interpro or in fact, any match is not acceptable.

Let’s be realistic though, worse is to come.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Think we need to take example from the players who got beaten up but didn't give up.

I'm neither appalled nor embarrassed. We've been brought low, it's a long way back, as I keep telling you, 3-5 years to undo all the damage, inflicted and self-inflicted over the last few years.

That was simply a mismatch, we have a small squad, many inexperienced players and a shed load of injuries. It was tough watching but doesn't make us any worse than we were on Friday.

I expect us to give them the rounds of the kitchen in December if we can get anything near our best team out. I'm going to be there to support them having thought I would not be at Ravenhill this season.

I'm pretty sure I'll make a difference.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

+1
I had hoped we would keep it under 50 but no surprise at all. Important thing is Iain and John are not badly injured; any news?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster on paper have a reasonable squad of players until injury strikes .

This year the fact is the resources at the start of the season were already depleted leaving a very weak back-up in the face any further injuries.

Nobody gave the selection against Munster a snowballs chance of winning .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Think we need to take example from the players who got beaten up but didn't give up.

I'm neither appalled nor embarrassed. We've been brought low, it's a long way back, as I keep telling you, 3-5 years to undo all the damage, inflicted and self-inflicted over the last few years.

That was simply a mismatch, we have a small squad, many inexperienced players and a shed load of injuries. It was tough watching but doesn't make us any worse than we were on Friday.

I expect us to give them the rounds of the kitchen in December if we can get anything near our best team out. I'm going to be there to support them having thought I would not be at Ravenhill this season.

I'm pretty sure I'll make a difference.
Baggy ... like you I see this as a 3-5 year project and as such prepared to cut them slack in the short term. Notwithstanding that 60plus points is embarrassing and maybe puts some perspective on those last kick wins... also not sure Munster will do the same against any other PRO14 side and I could only imagine licking their lips with the prospects of putting 100 on us..

We have been brought here by others that have either walked away or been shown the door and we now need to knuckle down and rebuild quickly.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
I think so.

It's nearly 4.30am and I have finally crept out for a recce and all seems to be clear ...

... for now! :oops:
Fatal mistake, I logged into Facebook so back behind sofa again for another few days
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

My sofa was hiding behind the other sofa.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

big mervyn wrote:
My sofa was hiding behind the other sofa.
Just like they do in Ikea.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So Ulster have been cutting back in squad size. Is it time to forego the highly payed, big name imports and use the money to maintain a reasonable depth to the squad. In other words, if we can't have sufficient sthrength in depth, would you accept depth in favour of strength?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

stickinout wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Billy Burns has done nothing for me to suggest the 10 shirt is his. He doesn’t attack the line at all,just ships the ball on while static.

Which plays into the Munster strategy of having fast line speed. Additionally, having a muck 9 who doesn't know how to kick, adds to our problems. Billy Burns is a young inexperienced 10, he has to learn.
He is young, but not inexperienced. He has had plenty of games for Gloucester in the English top division over the past few years, where he often played well. I think he will do OK in Ulster as he beds in. But I want to see McPhillips get plenty of game time too.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Spiffsson wrote:
stickinout wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Billy Burns has done nothing for me to suggest the 10 shirt is his. He doesn’t attack the line at all,just ships the ball on while static.

Which plays into the Munster strategy of having fast line speed. Additionally, having a muck 9 who doesn't know how to kick, adds to our problems. Billy Burns is a young inexperienced 10, he has to learn.
He is young, but not inexperienced. He has had plenty of games for Gloucester in the English top division over the past few years, where he often played well. I think he will do OK in Ulster as he beds in. But I want to see McPhillips get plenty of game time too.

Dan clearly thinks Burns is the man as he has given him all 5 starts when based on the end of last season, he at least had some kind of alternative option to try in McPhillips. Problem now is that we are running into a couple of “must win” games at home against Connacht and Tigers, so difficult to throw in McPhillips or Lowry for a first start under such roessure.

Whatever people may think about it being a happier squad this season (funnily enough i heard it was a happier squad as well at the start of last season) the size of that defeat will affect confidence. Around half the team that started last night would be pushing for places in our main starting xv this season and even when Hendy and Cooney were on a blind man could see we were going to get thrashed. We are now playing 2 games at home which we should win (no excuses) and losing one or other, followed by a likely drubbing at Racing will really risk a big fall in confidence.

Some fans may think we should write off Europe (and given squad depth there is logic to that) but we all know that will not happen for a variety of reasons (and indeed i imagine it would be very unpopular with the players). So given that we have 3 big games coming up a sudden change at 10 would indicate that Dan has maybe had a change of heart about Burns.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BR wrote:So Ulster have been cutting back in squad size. Is it time to forego the highly payed, big name imports and use the money to maintain a reasonable depth to the squad. In other words, if we can't have sufficient sthrength in depth, would you accept depth in favour of strength?
Would be a sound strategy. Question is though, where do we get the Ireland qualified depth from?