Connaught game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Connaught game

Post by rumncoke »

Amigo

he wasn't jumping as in on the spot jumping he was running towards the opposition and jumping at them to get the ball.

it's a recipe for disaster

even if Rea had stopped dead and ducked the idiot was hitting

the Referee either cards both or none in my book

Because the jump is equally if not more dangerous

And the only way to reduce the danger is to ban -- run and jump -where the jump continues the forward motion of the player in the air .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Connaught game

Post by jackthelad »

The Connacht player jumped forward in order to slap the ball back. He was never in a position to catch the ball nor did he even attempt to do so. He caused the clash by his reckless behaviour.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Castration is the only just punishment. Cut all his bits off.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

When people ask "have you ever played", then they point to exact cases like this.

OK, I'm wrong when I say jumping to catch the ball - I'll rephrase it as jumping to get a hand or hands on the ball.

Tell you what, go try and jump while standing still. Then take a run-up and do the same.

Do you expect him to stand back and wave at the ball? Or for him to run without jumping so he's in the same position Rea found himself in if one of our lads had taken a jump at it? Are you two fking for real?

The real problem is the IRB's stupid imposition of ill-considered inflexible laws post Payne/Goode. The only way to deal with the problem as a player is to ensure, absolutely ensure, that you get clear air under your feet before you reach for the ball. Get up into the air early. If you aren't close enough to do that, then you have to look - if there is gonna be someone else there, then its not your ball.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote:
Why because the player jumped at and over him — idiot .
How is he an idiot?

Kelleher won the ball, he won the penalty, he 'won' the red-card. Good play on his part.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Br

you can't or shouldn't be able to win a penalty for foul play .

Foul play is committed by a player and this definitely a must for dangerous play you should never be able to make guilty of dangerous play -- if you do then by inference you are guilty of dangerous play .

Law 7c A player must not

do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement .
maybe read as
Any that may lead to an infringement by an opponent .

A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship

I can think of little worse than placing your opponent in situation where he will be guilty of dangerous play .

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote:Br

you can't or shouldn't be able to win a penalty for foul play .

Foul play is committed by a player and this definitely a must for dangerous play you should never be able to make guilty of dangerous play -- if you do then by inference you are guilty of dangerous play .

Law 7c A player must not

do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement .
maybe read as
Any that may lead to an infringement by an opponent .

A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship

I can think of little worse than placing your opponent in situation where he will be guilty of dangerous play .

Rum, we can all quote laws which are totally ignored by referees and World Rugby. We all know of laws which players are coached to break. Since when have the laws of the game been relevant to what happens on a rugby pitch?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

#dontquoterum
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Rum suckered him into making the quote. It jumped out at him.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There are laws which are ignored to enalbe the game to flow fine -- Laws on dangerous play should never be ignored by a referee -- whose prime function is to ensure the safety of the players

Basically it should be a red card to both players for dangerous play . personally I would red card the jumper and yellow card the player on the ground ( provided the contact with the player in the air was ( appeared) accidental --intentional contact red .
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So what would you do at the next match when you were demoted to 4th official? Can't see you getting the whistle again unless you were prepared to travel to Coleraine.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

WeeWorld wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
jean valjean wrote:I see master Rea has drawn the short straw of a Scottish disciplinary panel. Expect at least 3 weeks if not more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Didn't the connacht player who stamped on van der flier also get a scottish panel and he got off really lightly.
No
Kathrine Mackie, Beth Dickens and Robert Milligan QC, (all Scotland)
Cretin, of course, they were Scottish.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
rumncoke wrote:
Why because the player jumped at and over him — idiot .
How is he an idiot?

Kelleher won the ball, he won the penalty, he 'won' the red-card, he "won" the match Good play on his part.
Sore Ted.

However, both Ron'n and Jack make correct points that the Connacht player ran & jumped full tilt into advancing players, who, we are then supposed to swallow, owe him a duty of care. I'd suggest a player taking his action is extremely reckless of his duty of care to his own body.

It was a lamentable decision to red card Rea. In my view, Rea's only fault in the episode was that he had not the ability simply to dematerialise top allow Kelleher to pass through his body unharmed. That apart it was a case of Rea "having nowhere to go".

As you and I have both said BR, if they want to eliminate injury in those circumstances stop "attacking jumping", those who like Kelleher attempt to mimic a human cannonball, of course, it may be best to remove all jumping but what of the lineout. The other thing to ban is the lifting of a player to receive a kickoff, let them "jump defensively" but only under their own propulsion.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Scrap the lineout! Scrap all jumping!
Madness, but it could work.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
jean valjean wrote:I see master Rea has drawn the short straw of a Scottish disciplinary panel. Expect at least 3 weeks if not more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Didn't the connacht player who stamped on van der flier also get a scottish panel and he got off really lightly.
No
Kathrine Mackie, Beth Dickens and Robert Milligan QC, (all Scotland)
Cretin, of course, they were Scottish.
oh, ok.
Is it my imagination or are you even more cantankerous since your move to Spain?
Yes, that's me in the avatar!