Connaught game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Connaught game

Post by Bart S »

If Kane is that good then he really should be establishing himself as a first choice starter this season. Let’s face it, the competition is hardly intense.

He may still be young but i think at his current age Healy, Moore, McGrath and Furlong were all internationals.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Do you remember we thought Diddies was good? It was brief, but heartening.
Surely we’ve enough fatties in the province to give us a quality from row. There are thousands in Lurgan alone, who’ve been brought up on a diet of chip fat and Buckey and are full of the fight.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tender wrote:Do you remember we thought Diddies was good? It was brief, but heartening.
Surely we’ve enough fatties in the province to give us a quality from row. There are thousands in Lurgan alone, who’ve been brought up on a diet of chip fat and Buckey and are full of the fight.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well fu'ck Sadie, I roared.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I think any chance McCall had was robbed of him by injuries. I have the suspicion they have been the cause of his absolute falling off a cliff in scrummaging.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He lost too much ballast.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Around the same time he lost his Berlie. He had some fight in him and he was hard to knock down.
Heh-You looks like someone poured play-doh over a wheelie bin.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45770628

What are these two smoking?

Do they not realise just how bad we are? Or are they blind to the true state of affairs and after rolling out their usual one-eyed optimistic tripe "should be pushing for playoffs and trophies" rubbish at the start of the season are now wondering how reality is not aligning with whatever planet they are on?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FBBCNI struggling for relevance.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big Tony missed a game & iHumph clearly missed the fact that the centre is so decimated that a yute was thrown in there who has perhaps never played 13 in his life. It's often said to be the hardest defensive position to play, but no allowance made for the state of the squad, either at the FBBC or here in general.

There is no incredible downturn from the early games to now, same squad with same amount of injuries, some poor players and some largely inexperienced players, new signings that have mustered 3/4 games between them and in fact the biggest difference between games 1-4 & 5/6 is that early doors most things broke in our favour & latterly nothing has.

That last bit is clearly an oversimplification but none the less it has wheels. I'm telling you here and now Ulster would have won the Connacht game had they not had a highly debatable red card. Beaten out the gate for 25 minutes they were starting to fire and even with 13 & 14 men they were well in the game until Aki read a risky move & put the game away with less than 10 to go.

Of course, we are not the team we would like, of course, there are major set-piece issues BUT ...... FFFS did anyone expect a triumphant season? If you did you are even stupider than SmallMind, this season is one to understand and that understanding has to be that all we can expect is for things to go in the right direction.

Right now that is tough, a slew of injuries ensures that when you have a small squad, with very little experience when you dig down below the first 18-23.

So in the name of blue fuc'k would some of you cop on and stop whinging like slapped babies. This is a long fix, a short one would be lovely but grow up, that is not happening. I see nothing but hypocrisy in people who regularly demand playing for the shirt yet bitch an moan at every setback.

It may have been Jesus who said it, then again it could have been the Beastie Boys: You fuc'kers need to fight for the right to party. And it was definitely Jesus who said, grow the fu'ck up, nothing good comes easily.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy -- If the back row do their job and there is no hindrance to the cover defence OUTside centre should be no more difficult than any other position to defend -- if they don't then the outside centre has to get his angle and timing right or he is sucking air.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

We must have won more penalties at the breakdown than Connacht which was pleasing. McCloskey certainly chipped in with a couple.

Despite repeatedly offending I don't recall Brace even having a word with Connacht.

Apparently Dan was annoyed at potential obstruction on Stu for the first try. I thought like him that the 3 other big calls were fair enough. If they'd been the other way round I would have called for them to be given. Having said that if Connacht had been marginally offside for two kicks thru you get the impression himself would've let them go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
boyg
Novice

Post by boyg »

I have to concur with others on this thread that doubt we are going to struggle this side of Christmas with the limited resources we have available to us. Not sure it will improve in the new year but heres hoping. We struggled in the first four but dug in to scrape a result. In the last two matches events have not gone our way. We have had too many inexperienced players on the field against two fully loaded teams who had the assistance of some questionable refereeing. However no one can question their commitment.

I do not maintain to understand all the dark arts of the front row and so will not offer an opinion. I will however add my tuppence worth regarding the backs. Cooney as we all know has been a life saver since he signed. Shanahan has tried hard but is simply not at this level. Burns is a solid player with good footballing skills. His major asset over McPhillips is he plays close to the gain line. Phillips flatters to deceive because he sits too deep in the pocket which means he puts his midfield under pressure in attack. This is evidence by the lack of opportunities or indeed scores from first phase play last year. I think we just have to bear with Burns as he is the best option we have available to us. The midfield is a real problem. Where we once had a surplus of riches we are now seriously short of options. Heaven help us if big Stuart gets injured. I hope Allison recovers for the match against the Tigers and is selected at 13 as the other options we have are simply not viable against Eastmond and Tuilaigi. Even then it is only Allison's experience that hopefully we can call on as our two best defensive backs are not available. Great to see Jacob back but I think despite his inexperience young Kernohan deserves to hold on to his place. If Gilroy or Speight are fit and available I think that it should be Nelson who will lose out.

I am now going to throw in yet another element that is causing us problems and one I am surprised that no one else has commented on.

Premier Sports have clearly emptied the bank in winning their bid to cover the Pro14 with a promise to cover every match, leaving little to spend on commentary and analysis but more importantly too few cameras. It appeared that on Friday night the only angles available were from the side. As is my desire, I sit in the family stand to be behind the posts. There is also an UR camera in the middle of that stand which is fed to the coaches. Dan McFarland was clearly annoyed with the first try and he had every right to be as McCloskey was clearly blocked in his attempt to get across to Healy. Having watched the Premier Sport coverage of the incident, it to be fair to the officials, it certainly appears more inconclusive. Had the TMO had the benefit of the behind the posts view I do not believe he would have allowed the try.

Unfortunately I am sure we will not be the only team to suffer the consequences of this problem.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

"But there just doesn't seem to be a buzz. They are not flying off the line in defence and attack."
I would take this line seriously if it had of came from someone other than Ian Humphreys
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I see master Rea has drawn the short straw of a Scottish disciplinary panel. Expect at least 3 weeks if not more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

boyg wrote:Premier Sports have clearly emptied the bank in winning their bid to cover the Pro14 with a promise to cover every match, leaving little to spend on commentary and analysis but more importantly too few cameras.
It does seem like there are fewer angles available than previously.
I don't see it as a problem though since all teams will be affected by it.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!