Connaught game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connaught game

Post by Dave »

Never trust a tingle.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Could be an STD
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And I just happen to be at the Dermatology Dept at the RVH! Coincidence?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

This is not looking good
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:This is not looking good
Are you with Tender?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Are you with Tender?
No I'm at the crematorium
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Are you with Tender?
That escalated quickly. So he is longer with us.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Are you with Tender?
That escalated quickly. So he is longer with us.
Not that I know off unless he has scratched himself to death.
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

RIP Tender.

He went out like a top shagger though.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connaught gaME

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
therealspratt wrote:Why can none of youse spell Connacht right?
I'd have said that Connaught is to Connacht as Ireland is to Eire and you're not supposed to call
Ireland, Eire if you're writing in English or you'll always getting someone complaining about it.
And you'd be wrong. There's a clue in how Connacht Rugby spell Connacht.
Thank God you said it, PWR, I think Smallmind has had enough of my educational methods for one day.

As for the match: BUZZIN, just Buzzin. 8:35 pm can't come around early enough. :bounce:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Ulster should win at home against Connacht. Simple as that. If they don't win they need to come up with answers.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:Ulster should win at home against Connacht. Simple as that. If they don't win they need to come up with answers.
Do you think we have the team to beat them though? I'm looking at their backline in particular.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

pwrmoore wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
I'd have said that Connaught is to Connacht as Ireland is to Eire and you're not supposed to call
Ireland, Eire if you're writing in English or you'll always getting someone complaining about it.
https://webarchive.oireachtas.ie/parlia ... reland.pdf
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:Ulster should win at home against Connacht. Simple as that. If they don't win they need to come up with answers.
Do you think we have the team to beat them though? I'm looking at their backline in particular.
I think that Connacht, for all the fancy play they are capable of, have a soft centre which should be exposed by any reasonable home team. Of course if Ulster gift them chances they have the ammo to run in a few tries which would make things difficult. However if I was an Ulsterman I would not be happy with a defeat at home to this team. Though that is not to say I wouldn't have my own concerns about the strength of my own team.

I think I may have covered the lot there Dave. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

WeeWorld wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
https://webarchive.oireachtas.ie/parlia ... reland.pdf

Does everyone on this site answer without first reading earlier posts. I explained earlier how Connaught was the official spelling during British rule in Ireland and how it has fallen more and more into disuse and you try to counter this by showing an undated historical map from the Taoiseach's website. The map in question still has Laois designated as "Queen's County" which suggests it is from before 1922.
The name comes from the medieval ruling dynasty, the Connacht, later Connachta, whose name means "descendants of Conn", from the mythical king Conn of the Hundred Battles. Originally Connacht was a singular collective noun, but it came to be used only in the plural Connachta, partly by analogy with plural names of other dynastic territories like Ulaid and Laigin, and partly because the Connachta split into different branches. Before the Connachta dynasty, the province (cúige, "fifth") was known as Cóiced Ol nEchmacht. In Modern Irish, the province is usually called Cúige Chonnacht, "the Province of Connacht", where Chonnacht is plural genitive case with lenition of the C to Ch.

The usual English spelling in Ireland since the Gaelic revival is Connacht, the spelling of the disused Irish singular. The official English spelling during English and British rule was the anglicisation Connaught, pronounced /kɒnɔːt/ or /kɒnət/.This was used for the Connaught Rangers in the British Army; in the title of Queen Victoria's son Arthur, Duke of Connaught; and the Connaught Hotel, London, named after the Duke in 1917. Usage of the Connaught spelling is now in decline. State bodies use Connacht, for example in Central Statistics Office census reports since 1926, and the name of the Connacht–Ulster European Parliament constituency of 1979–2004, although Connaught occurs in some statutes. Among newspapers, the Connaught Telegraph (founded 1830) retains the anglicised spelling in its name, whereas the Connacht Tribune (founded 1909) uses the Gaelic. Connacht Rugby who represent the region and are based in Galway, use the Gaelic spelling also.
Connaught is an acceptable variant spelling though it is generally only used as the official spelling by a few organisations (see above). The Connacht provincial rugby team uses the spelling "Connacht".
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: