RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th Oct KO:18.30 TV: BT

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th OctKO:18.30 TV: BT

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Don't think I was overly harsh, maybe I touched a nerve.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Quality Jackie, he probably remembers your posts on Turnipfans :lol: :lol: :lol:

My question is: had Nigel not taught him manners and etiquette, would he have apologised?

My answer: not a chance, lowlife.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
justinr73 wrote:No pesky wedding to get in the way of a trip to France this year.

Breakfast is being served on the Eurostar.

The sun is shining.

I’m almost glad to be alive.
In the words of Eric Idle, "Life's a piece of sh1t" so you are spot on Lionel, never ever be fooled into thinking life's worthwhile. >EW

Don't forget you are going to have to spend a couple of hours in the worst rugby stadium in the world, really just a glorified big hall, so no bed of roses today, I don't envy you and can only suggest excessive drinking to get yourself through a harrowing experience. :stout:
Well we did our best as ever.

It was like watching rugby in the O2. Very weird but at least HWM was welcomed onto the pitch at the end.

Until his onesie came undone.

Just finished our first anniversary meal in the Pigalle/Montmartre area.

Didn’t mind paying 18 Euros for a 1973 Armagnac but the bloody gin and tonics turned out to be 25 each!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Sort our scrum and lineout and we will be very difficult to beat come the end of the season.

There was much good yesterday against a team that have played in two of the last three Heineken Cup finals :thumleft:

My own thinking is that we are actually ahead of schedule with the rebuilding. We were competitive for first twenty minutes and had a great spell in the middle of the second half.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Sort our scrum and lineout and we will be very difficult to beat come the end of the season.

There was much good yesterday against a team that have played in two of the last three Heineken Cup finals :thumleft:

My own thinking is that we are actually ahead of schedule with the rebuilding. We were competitive for first twenty minutes and had a great spell in the middle of the second half.
No 9 don't get ahead of yourself I still see this on the longer finger..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th Oct KO:18.30 TV: BT

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Sort our scrum and lineout and we will be very difficult to beat come the end of the season.

Our scrum won't be fixed without new props. If we sorted our defense and handling, Racing would have found us much more difficult to beat.

Rebuilding is no excuse for senior players playing so badly.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Two issues highlighted here, Scrum and Skills.

1, is it all the props fault, or could technique be improved?
2. Handling areas and awareness, players fault or coaching ?

I am happy the players are good enough or very close, just need the coaches to up their game but overall we are going in the right direction.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
GLENN CORNICK wrote:McBurney is a hard-man, upfront twunt on occasion, rather All Blackish in his twuntery.

Zebo is a cowardly twunt; always has been.
This post shows that even a dickhead gets it spot on at times. Well done sonny. >appl >appl >appl

As for sometwat in clownshoes who suggested that the hard edges need to be chipped off McBurney, my guess is that Willie Anderson will have been sat somewhere saying "that's my boy, hit him harder the next time & take no shyte from anyone".

I've yet to make my mind up on McBurney in terms of talent, but I have no doubt that a team needs a kunt or two and if he brings that he's halfway there. I hope the academy doesn't see it's role to churn out nice mild-mannered young men, I'd like to see a few hard nuts coming out amongst those with talent to burn.
Baggy, your mind can rest easy.. McBurney has it. Maybe reflect on his difficult upbringing making him a kid who can look after himself. Hes also visibly bulked up. Imo hes well ahead of John Andrew now. He'll be number 2 two lol by start of next season. I'll also suggest his darts are by far the best in the Province and close to anyone else in Ireland. He rarely fails to hit his mark. Hes the real deal. Again like TOT, EOS and RK , hes still a cub, but growing fangs and claws. In two years we'll have a decent homegrown starting front row.
I f#ckin roared and applauded when he slammed the Spit king... >clapping
Now if we could turn TOT into Julian White, its game on >jawdrop
Exterminate all rational thought
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

My random observations...
Early on our line speed looked great.

I was very frustrated with Gilroy, almost Kearneyesk in his ability to go into contact rather than pass. Ball in 2 hands please.

Likewise, forwards coach, please sort out the line out. We let them off the hook a few times, losing a line out in a decent attacking position. It would be nice to have Court/Afoa/Mueller standard players in the equivalent positions.

Addison and Lowery the pick of the backs for me. I also thought McPhilips did well when he came on, flatter and more zip going forward.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
justinr73 wrote:No pesky wedding to get in the way of a trip to France this year.

Breakfast is being served on the Eurostar.

The sun is shining.

I’m almost glad to be alive.
In the words of Eric Idle, "Life's a piece of sh1t" so you are spot on Lionel, never ever be fooled into thinking life's worthwhile. >EW

Don't forget you are going to have to spend a couple of hours in the worst rugby stadium in the world, really just a glorified big hall, so no bed of roses today, I don't envy you and can only suggest excessive drinking to get yourself through a harrowing experience. :stout:
Well we did our best as ever.

It was like watching rugby in the O2. Very weird but at least HWM was welcomed onto the pitch at the end.

Until his onesie came undone.

Just finished our first anniversary meal in the Pigalle/Montmartre area.

Didn’t mind paying 18 Euros for a 1973 Armagnac but the bloody gin and tonics turned out to be 25 each!
A 1973 eh? The year I started work as a usurer............... what a waste of a life, or as an old manager of mine once said, "what a waste of a magnificent talent". I assume that unlike my Spanish friends, with brere frog, the €25 euros didn't entitle you to half a bottle over a couple of ice cubes.

As an old hand with maybe 8 or 10 visits to Paris, including my honeymoon, I could have warned you Lionel, the French love to charge ..........unless of course there is a war going on, then, like electricity, they find the path of least resistance.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
GLENN CORNICK wrote:McBurney is a hard-man, upfront twunt on occasion, rather All Blackish in his twuntery.

Zebo is a cowardly twunt; always has been.
This post shows that even a dickhead gets it spot on at times. Well done sonny. >appl >appl >appl

As for sometwat in clownshoes who suggested that the hard edges need to be chipped off McBurney, my guess is that Willie Anderson will have been sat somewhere saying "that's my boy, hit him harder the next time & take no shyte from anyone".

I've yet to make my mind up on McBurney in terms of talent, but I have no doubt that a team needs a kunt or two and if he brings that he's halfway there. I hope the academy doesn't see it's role to churn out nice mild-mannered young men, I'd like to see a few hard nuts coming out amongst those with talent to burn.
Baggy, your mind can rest easy.. McBurney has it. Maybe reflect on his difficult upbringing making him a kid who can look after himself. Hes also visibly bulked up. Imo hes well ahead of John Andrew now. He'll be number 2 two lol by start of next season. I'll also suggest his darts are by far the best in the Province and close to anyone else in Ireland. He rarely fails to hit his mark. Hes the real deal. Again like TOT, EOS and RK , hes still a cub, but growing fangs and claws. In two years we'll have a decent homegrown starting front row.
I f#ckin roared and applauded when he slammed the Spit king... >clapping
Now if we could turn TOT into Julian White, its game on >jawdrop
Fair enough CIMAN and a great call on TOT/Julian White. Julian was the sort that only a mother could love, but I recall with glee when Andrew Sheridan threw the first punch and White sparked him with the last punch. One of those sort saves a team a world of hurt.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If the opposition wish to turn a scrum then very few props can stop it if they { the opposition } all bore in the one direction .

But most teams don't do it that often simply because it is illegal, so like Racing 92, it is a tactic best used when the maximum benefit can be obtained from it. Psychologically it is better to bore playing at home rather than away because most referees are less inclined ( frequently )to penalise the Home team in the scrum thus if you time the application of the bore correctly you win the penalty or the advantage from your illegal boring.

With the back row packing on/behind the prop and pushing in, then it makes it extremely difficult for the prop to withstand or stop the effect of boring .

Collapsing the scrum is achieved by arm twisting , pulling down or pushing down and is a case of who is strongest or wisest -- Botha when playing for Ulster and Munster frequently went to ground - to ensure he achived a bind he could with stand -- if the scrum hadn't formed the way he wanted it --down he went before the ball came in. -- A tactic less used now since Referees now award a free kick,if it collapses before the ball is in , to stop having to reset a scrum 4 or 5 times.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

On props has anyone ever seen enough of Peter Cooper to understand why Ulster have always seemed lukewarm on him at best?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

therealspratt wrote:On props has anyone ever seen enough of Peter Cooper to understand why Ulster have always seemed lukewarm on him at best?
Didn't last long against Armagh on Saturday.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

We appear to have some boring experts.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Rooster wrote:
therealspratt wrote:On props has anyone ever seen enough of Peter Cooper to understand why Ulster have always seemed lukewarm on him at best?
Didn't last long against Armagh on Saturday.
Injury or just had his Brennan handed to him in the scrum?

Strange situation with him. Seems to be worth near a try a game for Malone with pace to burn for a prop, and yet he hardly got a sniff prior to our dire straits this year after he's been binned from the academy.

What I would give for a Reid, McBurney, O'Toole front row, that could have done us for the next decade.