The state of our set piece

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: The state of our set piece

Post by Tender »

So our fatties can’t push very well but it’s the coaches fault!

I watched our setup when we were defending that Dragon’s scrum and we loaded our left side, when they had men over on our right. Before the ball went in the wise men in the Mem Stand were pointing out the mistake and there were more than a few ‘I fecking called it’ when the Leek munchers strolled over for their try..
It would never had happened with Ruan on the field.
We have very few leaders and seemingly ever fewer with good Rugby brains.
Work in progress. We live in hope.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Kofi Annan wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:When you have the Irish captain at hooker, a thp with 10 international caps and an established Ireland 2nd rower getting demolished upfront by a Dragons B team you've got a set piece problem.

I'd have no issue if it was O'Sullivan, McBurney and O'Toole getting smashed at scrum time learning their trade on the road to Mecca but that was not the case.

There's much more wrong than waiting for boys to develop into men.
Just say for god sake man.
F'd if I know, was hoping a few fatties could give me some insight.

I'm in a pitch black room Kofi.... worked my way around the perimeter at least 10 times still can't find a door handle.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Haven't heard DMcF comments but if he is publicly calling for reinforcements then its a smart move...now he is shifting the pressure, and if denied and the set piece doesn't really improve - well, he can say I told you so/keep pressure on irfu and not the coaching set up.
Clever how he opened the possibility of IQ, not just the UR trait of trying to buy our way out via niq. No other province is going to give us a dig out, its IRFU approved, or it ain't happening.

My issue with inter pro moves would be could we do the whole "season loan", or would we be forced to sign a player on eg 2 yr deal etc? Id rather not commit to signing ave players on multi season deals, and would rather play a pup, and take the hit - if that was the option on offer. As we cannot offer better terms than what they already have, it really comes down to length of contract, and if you are a starter why would you move?

Ive noticed Dillane has dropped off the radar int wise. I think he is out of contract end of season. Id wonder whether he'd fancy a change end of season? To kick start his international career. I'd also want a large mauling/scrumming NIQ lock.

Re LHP. I doubt PMac will ever play for UR again. The guy has already signed 1 contract extension, and has a young family - if he was coming back the option would probably have occurred by now. Think we have to accept fellas - that playing for Ulster isn't the be all and end all for some players.
Whether Dooley/Byrne etc ever develop into top class players is largely dependant on how bad they really want it. Healy /McGrath have 5yrs left in them. Some fellas will be happy to be squad players, to maintain off pitch lifestyles etc....a Cooney is a rare beast. Whether the irfu "do a carberry" on them is probably an end of season option. Itll be an NIQ loosehead, or nothing for us, id imagine.
With the end of good weather coming, not having a set piece is a killer for a backline attack. Conversely the oppo get nigh on garaunteed stable attack ball....not a good prospect for us.

However fair play to DMcF hes probably given it a good go, but the options just aren't there....at least we're not hearing LK "We're well stocked" bullshit.

Just under a yr ago we were massively unwinding. Since then we've cleared out slogan, LK, JG. The fading legends have gone. The U/K pups who've never been given a chance - have come through on the whole very well. Some developing at a rate of knots, some slower but hugely exciting. Yes there are holes, but things are turning in the right direction long term. We are 2 good payers away from a very competitive side....stick a TCourt & JMuller in our current pack & Id back us to give anyone a game at Ravenhill.

Success for me this yr is continued player development, not so much league position....not without a set piece. A further end of season clear out, and a few smart recruitments, and alot of the rot in the last 5 yrs will have been countered.

SUFTUM :red:
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Munster's 2nd row medical signing last year, Flanagan could do a job? if it needs to be IQ.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tender wrote:So our fatties can’t push very well but it’s the coaches fault!

I watched our setup when we were defending that Dragon’s scrum and we loaded our left side, when they had men over on our right. Before the ball went in the wise men in the Mem Stand were pointing out the mistake and there were more than a few ‘I fecking called it’ when the Leek munchers strolled over for their try..
Interesting post Tender, I think I have some sympathy for your point of view .............yet I'm always interested in what Kofi says, I know his ear is closer to the ground than most, with the possible exception of Tonto.

Did I ever regale you with that one?

The Lone Arranger and Tonto are out riding the range .......oh misssssssssssssssssssssssusssssssssssss, nooooooooo........ and suddenly Tonto leaps from Scout's back and puts his ear to the ground. After some few seconds, he says, "Kemosabe, buffalo c'um". "That's amazing Tonto, I couldn't hear anything". "No Kemosabe, ear stuck to ground, buffalo c'um".

Thanks, I'm here until Thursday, try the Barnsley chop.

A sweet holy mother of fu@k, c'um censored, how the FF do you think you lads got here? Yer Da or the milkman came in yer Ma, C'um FFFS, give me a break.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He's Devon Toner's cousin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Tender wrote:So our fatties can’t push very well but it’s the coaches fault!

Interesting post Tender, I think I have some sympathy for your point of view .............yet I'm always interested in what Kofi says, I know his ear is closer to the ground than most, with the possible exception of Tonto.

Did I ever regale you with that one?

The Lone Arranger and Tonto are out riding the range .......oh misssssssssssssssssssssssusssssssssssss, nooooooooo........ and suddenly Tonto leaps from Scout's back and puts his ear to the ground. After some few seconds, he says, "Kemosabe, buffalo c'um". "That's amazing Tonto, I couldn't hear anything". "No Kemosabe, ear stuck to ground, buffalo c'um".

Thanks, I'm here until Thursday, try the Barnsley chop.

A sweet holy mother of fu@k, c'um censored, how the FF do you think you lads got here? Yer Da or the milkman came in yer Ma, C'um FFFS, give me a break.
One day Lone Ranger and his side kick Tonto were out riding when Lone Ranger jad to take a pi$h. So Lone Ranger goes over to the bush pulls down his pants and then he screams. He runs over to Tonto and says, "Tonto I've been bitten by a snake on my penis go to town and ask the doctor what to do."
So Tonto rides to town and goes to the doctor and says "Doctor, Lone Ranger has been bit by a snake what do I do?"

The doctor looks at Tonto and says, "You take a knife and make an x on the spot where he was bit, then you suck out the venim."

Tonto thanks the doctor and rides back to Lone Ranger and Lone Ranger asks "What did the doctor say?"

Tonto looks at Lone Ranger and says "Doctor say you gonna die!"
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Dave wrote:He's Devon Toner's cousin.
Tonto or The Lone Ranger? :cheers:
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tonto and The Lone Ranger are being chased by 500 angry Native Americans when they reach the edge of a gi-normous cliff, and face certain death if they jump over the edge and the same when the said Americans catch up with them momentarily.

Mr Ranger turns to Tonto and says, "Well it looks like we've come to the end of the road Tonto, it's been a pleasure to know you but we''ll go down fighting side by side Tonto."

Tonto replies, "What do you mean by 'we', white man"?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The Lone Ranger and Tonto were at the bar drinking, when in walks a cowboy who yells, "Who's white horse it that outside?"
The Lone Ranger finishes off his whiskey, slams down the glass, turns around and says, "It's my horse. Why do you want to know?" The cowboy looks at him and says, "Well, your horse is standing out there in the sun and he don't look too good."
The Lone Ranger and Tonto run outside and they see that Silver is in bad shape, suffering from heat exhaustion. The Loan Ranger moves his horse into the shade and gets a bucket of water. He then pours some of the water over the horse and gives the rest to Silver to drink.It is then he notices that there isn't a breeze so he asks Tonto if he would start running around Silver to get some air flowing and perhaps cool him down.
Being a faithful friend, Tonto starts running around Silver. The Lone Ranger stands there for a bit then realizes there is not much more he can do, so he goes back into the bar and orders another whiskey. After a bit a cowboy walks in and says, "Whose white horse is that outside?" Slowly the Lone Ranger turns around and says, "That is my horse, what is wrong with him now?"
"Nothing," replies the cowboy, "I just wanted to let you know that you left your Injun running."
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Tonto is just some blacked up chav from Carrickfergus.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I’ve taken offence on behalf of all red indians
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Wes Studi will find you guys... be afraid.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Baggy ..that joke is my old time favourite.. as for kofi I seen him it at weekend with Logan so be careful he may have joined the dark side.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cockatrice wrote:Baggy ..that joke is my old time favourite.. as for kofi I seen him it at weekend with Logan so be careful he may have joined the dark side.
Hopefully you mean Adrian and it was at the GAA?