Treviso v Ulster Sat 3rd Nov 3pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Treviso v Ulster Sat 3rd Nov 3pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sp

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:Didn’t get to watch the game but that is a brilliant result for ulster regardless of the performance. Would of bit your arm off for a win before the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't see it either so I'm happy enough.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote:Winning over there is a good result in League terms, but I wouldn’t call it a brilliant result, partly because we didn’t get 5 points but also because that Benetton team was absolutely decimated by international call ups and Ulster could still field a team with numerous first teamers or guys who would make the matchday 23.
I hadn't really taken in the teams, but Gusher commented on this being a strong Treviso team with several 1st choice Italian internationals released to play for them and not playing in Chicago tonight, but will be playing for Italy in coming weeks.

Was he wrong?

Should that now be reported in the Gusherasms thread?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Bart S wrote:Winning over there is a good result in League terms, but I wouldn’t call it a brilliant result, partly because we didn’t get 5 points but also because that Benetton team was absolutely decimated by international call ups and Ulster could still field a team with numerous first teamers or guys who would make the matchday 23.
I hadn't really taken in the teams, but Gusher commented on this being a strong Treviso team with several 1st choice Italian internationals released to play for them and not playing in Chicago tonight, but will be playing for Italy in coming weeks.

Was he wrong?

Should that now be reported in the Gusherasms thread?
Their starting pack had six capped by Italy according to Premier Sports. Their Kiwi hooker was very good.

Without any research, of the top of my head (therefore open to correction)... their scrum half was a regular for The Stormers and out half Tomasso Allan capped by Italy. Sgarbi in the centre also an international and Hayward at full back has been standout in the Pro 14, nearly certain he's capped.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The line out is a shambles - thankfully the referee was up to their boring in the scrum .

But allowed Benetton to come in at the side at 9 out 10 rucks all afternoon .

Also when Shan was kicking his box kicks out of defence the Ulster wings were being blocked from chasing making the ball uncontested .
In the second half the Ulster wings were chasing from outside the field of play several times .
As a referee to be honest not that impressed because of the above .

Coming in from the side it makes the ball incontestable and allows the attacking team the opportunity to block defenders from disengaging from the ruck to defend.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Both teams and the referee were all poor. The game was close enough to be interesting to the neutral observer but overall it was pretty grim stuff.

I thought Nelson looked better than I've seen him before.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OK result, Ulster remain the only team they haven’t beaten at home. You can win games without a front five. :cheers:

I didn’t see it, is it worth watching when I get a decent WiFi connection is my question¿
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Having not seen the match but read a few comments here I’m a bit pîssed off, when are some of you clowns about to wake up and small the coffee because Trevino are no pushover. We are in a writeoff season, have barely a centre to our name, the feckin admiral at 15 and Spanners at 9, win away from home when most thought we’d struggle for home wins and the clowns don’t understand the nature of the acheivement, sweet holy get fücks sake some of you need yer ballix kicked outside in.

Understand this, these guys are actually overachieving, so cut the bitchin.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

yes and no

yes yer right on a win away minus a few key players is a big plus but no because while winning the fact is there are fundamental things going wrong which shouldn't -- the line out as I have said is a shambles something that should not happen regardless of what stage of development a team is at since depends on a thrower and jumpers and should not be affected by age .Win yer line out by throwing short if you must

But win it

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Takes a decent team to win ugly.

It was fûck awful and the final lineout cost me a pint of Rockshore. I’d have taken an ugly win this morning, when was the last rip roaring victory in Italy?

Montecassino probably
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

justinr73 wrote:Rosa looked happy enough with that pen.

Well done Billy.
Her beret is older than half our team Rupert
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The tackling stats should look OK, although we couldn’t stop them offloading in the first half.

Big Stu seems to be growing in stature with every game.
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

Lineout
Lineout
Lineout

And amazing the number of people on this thread willing to comment without seeing the game. Pay your 9 quid per month fgs. Cost of 2 pints?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I watched the game and despite a grim first half the lads turned it around to grind out the win and you can ask for nothing more. There is no doubting the fact we are a major work in progress and the set piece needs to improve dramatically as does coming out of the blocks from the first whistle.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Having not seen the match but read a few comments here I’m a bit pîssed off, when are some of you clowns about to wake up and small the coffee because Trevino are no pushover. We are in a writeoff season, have barely a centre to our name, the feckin admiral at 15 and Spanners at 9, win away from home when most thought we’d struggle for home wins and the clowns don’t understand the nature of the acheivement, sweet holy get fücks sake some of you need yer ballix kicked outside in.

Understand this, these guys are actually overachieving, so cut the bitchin.

Agree expectations are not high this season, but disagree about thinking or accepting ulster would struggle for home wins. They only lost 2 all last season and one of those was to Leinster (funnily enough with a shambolic lineout). Overall the pack should be stronger than last season - Jordi and Coetzee adding to the backrow and Moore at tight head vs the loss of Black and Diack. Timoney also has a season of experience now. In the backs the loss of Piutau has been offset to some extent by Addison. Agree that we have been hit badly at centre though.

If you write the season off then you look for performances rather than results. Yesterday was a game where the result was the main positive.

The frustrating thing in some ways is that this season Ulster look like a team who could score quite a few tries. The maligned Peel seems to be doing a decent job but it is the skills which are letting ulster down.

If Ulster finish top 3 in the group then I would be delighted and consider that as a good achievement for the season. Finishing 5th in the group and therefore not even making the playoffs would be a disappointing season overall in my opinion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Could be wrong on this but open the floor for debate.....

I don't think our handling or skills are poor with the kind of offloading / open passing game we are trying to develop.

Scarlets are the masters of this and they have their fair share of knock ons.

We can cut these errors out by reverting to doak ball.... no thanks

The style of play we are trying to achieve is high skill risk.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18