Bryn - time to fall on your sword.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TopPoster
Initiate

Bryn - time to fall on your sword.

Post by TopPoster »

Great UR player but recruitment in recent years has been utterly diabolical, he’s been caught out of his depth, thus he must shoulder a lot of the blame as it can’t all be attributed to Nucifcuko. Time to step aside and take one for the benefit of the team.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Bryn - time to fall on your sword.

Post by Kofi Annan »

TopPoster wrote:Great UR player but recruitment in recent years has been utterly diabolical, he’s been caught out of his depth, thus he must shoulder a lot of the blame as it can’t all be attributed to Nucifcuko. Time to step aside and take one for the benefit of the team.
Stupid post
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

You’re happy with the quality of recruitment then?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Look TP, I’m going to save you from either, being ignored or having Kofi tear you a new one.

The reason Kofi tells you it’s a stupid post - and he’s right - is that you clearly don’t understand how our recruiting has been done in the past and that it’s only in the last 9-12 months that Bryn has been officially involved as anything other than the negotiator.

For simplicity m think Wendyball, who decides who a team wants to recruit. It’s been that way at Ulster. If the departure of Hond is what has given rise to you thread, it was both FOLK and Allen Clarke who wanted him, particularly Clarke. Bryn’s involvement was to sign who he was asked to sign.

I understand that he has now much greater involvement in identifying players, so this get out no longer applies but the coaching team will always have a major say in recruitment, always assuming that Petrie doesn’t turn out to be the new SLogan and insist on a Charless like signing.

I hope you have been helped.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/staff/bryn-cunningham/

Don’t buy that he hasn’t had a say in recruitment until the last 12 months. If anything he has been the constant in recruiting over the last few years- and there’s been a constant stream of duff signings with a scattering of decent ones. But recruitment in the main has been constantly below par.

But if you reckon he’s had fack all say in matters to date, well then let’s see what he brings in over the next 12 months if he now is the man with the say.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Still like to ask how Rodney got two contracts out of UR? Like to know who wanted him to stay after watching the sentient lump doing fackallsquared for the past two seasons.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I thought Bryn was responsible for talent identification?

Obviously others are involved but I'm sure most of those people have left already.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I thought it was the Doorman at Ollies who identifies the talent..
Can’t bate some casual misogyny on a damp Wednesday afternoon.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

TopPoster wrote:https://www.ulsterrugby.com/staff/bryn-cunningham/

Don’t buy that he hasn’t had a say in recruitment until the last 12 months. If anything he has been the constant in recruiting over the last few years- and there’s been a constant stream of duff signings with a scattering of decent ones. But recruitment in the main has been constantly below par.

But if you reckon he’s had fack all say in matters to date, well then let’s see what he brings in over the next 12 months if he now is the man with the say.
You are missing the point TP, both you and many others in recent months are starting from the presumption that all signings are Bryn's signings and have been since 2014. That is simply not the case.

I may not have been clear enough, my intent was not to say he had zero input into signings, what was made clear in February I believe was that it had become him who will lead recruitment from that day forth. Both before that and now both the Operations Manager and the coaching team both have input into identifying signings, but from that date forward, he has become the man to carry that can.

To me, that is how it should be but until then was not how it was, primacy in that role was the disgraceful excuse for a DOR, FOLK.

TP, none of the above means that I am any happier than you are about recent recruitment, I'm not and indeed a shrug my shoulders when fate intervenes when seeing the one wreck we rejected, Arno Botha, looking like the wrecking ball we hoped we had bought, and getting into genuine contention to be in one of the best stocked backrows in European rugby.

Sadly I have also to dash any hope we have of any significant recruitment, pre or post RWC 2019, for we simply cannot afford it, I don't believe we could even afford to take back Paddy or Wee Stu, if they were either, willing or allowed to. It is not for nothing that David Dobbin has been the mover behind dead wood being ushered to the door, Rodders and Hond were two men content to take a salary for nothing, I understand that the S&C chappies had more or less given up on both lazybastards and neither was it just a sop to the academy that Bryn pointed out that it has to become the priority it should always have been.

"Radix malorum est cupiditas", greed/money is the root of all evil, or even as some say, Money won't bring happiness, let me tell you that I am a greedybastard, I suspect that the initiator of "Money won't bring happiness" have never struggled with a budget. Ulster are struggling financially, not yet as bad as Munster who are about to get the begging bowl out again, but who knows if the attendance figures have yet bottomed out?

We need to get used to the FACT, sorry for shouting, that fancy NIQs are either gone forever or will be a rarity in the future. Other clubs, including quite often Mexico, quite often sign players that many are oblivious of.

For me Bryn has not been the architect of poor signings, he's had some misfortune, who was not excited by signing Marcell? Then he gets wrecked again, even Hind has shown he has had the ability to prop, then comes to us after not playing for Montpellier who got their foreign player numbers confused, then as he is due to arrive, gets a 3-month injury and all has come to nought.

Bryn has no hiding place for the future, but let us look fairly on what his place in the structure was and what it is now. I still support Bryn, that much at least I suppose is obvious.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tender wrote:Still like to ask how Rodney got two contracts out of UR? Like to know who wanted him to stay after watching the sentient lump doing fackallsquared for the past two seasons.
LOOK ....... Rodney being resigned in the summer was purely a panic move to the shock that Callum Black's departure caused. UR had no idea that Callum had asked his agent to get him to the far side of the moon away tifu'ck away from the man he despised, even above SLogan, FOLK. Sadly FOLK's removal came too late for Ulster to even try to resign Callum, he had done his deal and Ulster knew none of it, we did not "let him go". He went because to quote him, "no even a £1M would make me stay" (under FOLK)

A bad move that has now been rectified but those are the circumstances. All hail David Dobbin, there must be a hell of a lot of money saved by gassing those two lumps, even if a pay off is included.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I know Bryn personally and in terms of being a good guy who clearly has Ulster’s interests at heart I would not fault him. He has also found himself in situations which have been unfair, like being thrust out to meet the fans post Kiss and having to dealing with the PJ/Olding situations was unravelling, whilst his boss Mr Logan, who should have been doing these things, was too busy speaking to tens of thousands of fans apparently.....There was also the Gibbes saga who made him look a bit of a fool with his crocodile leaving tears.

However Ukster need to be clear on what is his remit and what he is accountable for, as otherwise it seems like he is actually ultimately responsible for very little. Baggy’s recent post is helpful in terms of clarifying his accountability for signings. I would hope that even with no pot of gold, the fact that there will be a lot of players looking for moves abroad post the rwc means that ulster can pick up one or two good NIQ’s who are maybe under the radar.

During the Hump era a bg thing was made of getting players who bought into the ulster culture and philosophy (yes, i accept religion was probably involved to some extent) and we saw from the likes of Terreblanche and Pedrie, who whilst not at the very top level when we had them, gave their all and performed really well for ulster. Hump had a vision to sell. Does Bryn have that and is he capable of doing so? Hopefully we shall find out soon.

In terms of NIQ’s I dont think the quality of player signed overall Munster or Leinster over the past number of years has been that much higher than Ukster, but they have bought into the team culture in a big way.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Tender wrote:Still like to ask how Rodney got two contracts out of UR? Like to know who wanted him to stay after watching the sentient lump doing fackallsquared for the past two seasons.
LOOK ....... Rodney being resigned in the summer was purely a panic move to the shock that Callum Black's departure caused. UR had no idea that Callum had asked his agent to get him to the far side of the moon away tifu'ck away from the man he despised, even above SLogan, FOLK. Sadly FOLK's removal came too late for Ulster to even try to resign Callum, he had done his deal and Ulster knew none of it, we did not "let him go". He went because to quote him, "no even a £1M would make me stay" (under FOLK)

A bad move that has now been rectified but those are the circumstances. All hail David Dobbin, there must be a hell of a lot of money saved by gassing those two lumps, even if a pay off is included.
Cheers Baggy, I knew all that because you told us. I was shytestirring for fun. I haven’t meditated today.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The only thing I will say on Bryn is he appears to be on record as the man who wanted to bring Marcel to Ulster after seeing him play for SA against Ireland. My confusion is the exact timeline given signings were being planned months if not a year to two in advance and where Bryn was at that exact time when Marcel played that match for SA. It could well be he was still with esportif at the time and that this was his opinion as an agent... that later became a reality.

I do feel that Bryan has had too many job description changes.. not all his fault.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And name changes..apparently
He’S not the Mesiah...he’s a very naughty boy
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bryn may want to clarify a few things for himself. Whilst I might respect the posts of a reliable few on here, others may not. When you read his job bio and then look at the shyte that was accumulated at UR you would be forgiven for wondering what the hell he has been playing at. Combined with the now infamous load of bollix explanation he offered regarding the Ravenhill micro-climate, I'd say he could be watching his back. I like Bryn. I for one would not be chasing him out of the club as above all else, he has the best of intentions for Ulster.

Unlike the following:
Shame Warren Gatland
FOLK
David Nuciwanker
The FIRFUC
Vodafoney
FBOI
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?