Connacht v Ulster Fri Dec 28 7:35pm TV (Premier Sport 1, Eir

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cracker
Squire

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri Dec 28 7:35pm TV (Premier Sport 1,

Post by Cracker »

Surely common sense would have seen us play our strongest team tonight and our seconds only in Dublin a game we are sure to lose anyway. I really cannot understand where Ulster are going or where on earth we are going to end up. We are now the weakest team in Ireland with the biggest support in Ireland. My faith in Ulster rugby is fading fast even as a decades long supporter.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cracker wrote:Surely common sense would have seen us play our strongest team tonight and our seconds only in Dublin a game we are sure to lose anyway. I really cannot understand where Ulster are going or where on earth we are going to end up. We are now the weakest team in Ireland with the biggest support in Ireland. My faith in Ulster rugby is fading fast even as a decades long supporter.
FFS the club is rebuilding after the cluster fûck of the past few years, we are going in the right direction, give it a fecking chance
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Gary wrote:Maybe Nonplussed - but we're coming down with 15s while we have a useful journeyman and a club player at 10. Lowry is the real deal and he is older than Paddy Jackson was when he was playing as our first choice 10.
Gaz we have 1 true 15 in Ludik nowt more. Lowry can learn top flight rugby without the pressure of previous at 10. BB is a tidy 10, why risk breaking a talent in a transitioning team... Lowry is the future 10 undoubtedly... But not yet

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

nonplussed wrote:
Gary wrote:Maybe Nonplussed - but we're coming down with 15s while we have a useful journeyman and a club player at 10. Lowry is the real deal and he is older than Paddy Jackson was when he was playing as our first choice 10.
Gaz we have 1 true 15 in Ludik nowt more. Lowry can learn top flight rugby without the pressure of previous at 10. BB is a tidy 10, why risk breaking a talent in a transitioning team... Lowry is the future 10 undoubtedly... But not yet

I think the pressure would only be a good thing for him.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

therealspratt wrote:
nonplussed wrote:

I think the pressure would only be a good thing for him.
Next season maybe ... He's only serving his apprenticeship

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sorry some of Cooney’s passing would have gone over Lowry’s head to night .

The problem was just McPhilips — some bad bounces — some terrible decisions —and not just by the players .

Watch the roll over block from the side for their first try Leo couldn’t have done it better .

In Belfast their third try would have been disallowed ( correctly ) the 10 was in front at the time of the kick .and got the luck of the bounce .
You win some you lose some it comes with the shape of the ball .

How can you penalised for wheeling when your not wheeling — they only wheeled it on their put in and only on their put did the scrum become farcical .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Totally shiit, error-ridden game of rugby from two poor teams. Connacht were just about the better of a bad lot, never mind the ref's decision on Carty's try - he was clearly offside. Ulster lacking in brains, physicality, leadership and oomph. When everyone is fit and playing at his best, we can just about muster a competitive team. But we are sadly lacking in reserve strength and have no plan B. Sick watching McCloskey predictably bang everything up the middle and seeing attacking moves just fizzle out from lack of rugby intelligence. It's also hard to keep up a high level of support, enthusiasm and interest when there are about two native Ulstermen in the starting XV.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Spiffsson wrote:Totally shiit, error-ridden game of rugby from two poor teams. Connacht were just about the better of a bad lot, never mind the ref's decision on Carty's try - he was clearly offside. Ulster lacking in brains, physicality, leadership and oomph. When everyone is fit and playing at his best, we can just about muster a competitive team. But we are sadly lacking in reserve strength and have no plan B. Sick watching McCloskey predictably bang everything up the middle and seeing attacking moves just fizzle out from lack of rugby intelligence. It's also hard to keep up a high level of support, enthusiasm and interest when there are about two native Ulstermen in the starting XV.
FFS just move on, on a positive note, CEO watching the game in the stands, not w@lking around the pitch on his phone like the other clown, who put us in this position. Logan should always be remembered as the man who put us here, you wouldn’t listen would yas
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Where is this level of expectation coming from? Not a great night in Galway but no disaster either. Five months into a thirty six month project to even getting us competitive again.

Poor McPhillips if he'd played any deeper he would have been on the end terrace.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Where is this level of expectation coming from? Not a great night in Galway but no disaster either. Five months into a thirty six month project to even getting us competitive again.

Poor McPhillips if he'd played any deeper he would have been on the end terrace.
Agreed. A win was never on the cards. After Mitrea was announced as ref I knew we were fcuked. That said, no excuse for all the missed tackles.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Never thought that McPhillips was the Messiah but last year he pulled us out of a hole when we needed it.. instead of him seeing his own development progress we went out and brought in Burns who to date appears little if any upgrade.. maybe he will still come good but at the same time look at how Addison has taken the opportunity to prove he is not an England reject... no doubt Burns was undoubtedly sold the come and see you might end up at the RWC carrot but I don't see that coming his way on present performance... in the meantime McPhillips has regressed and gets little if any game time to build any confidence and/or form.

Lowry some of us said a while back was the future yet criticism was levelled at our optimism at a player so young and not yet on the radar for many. Then along he comes and after taking his opportunity at 15 with both hands and showing signs of a very good player suddenly others start liking him to Kyle...

I hope that 15 is simply the way to get his game ready for the step up but at the same time he is effectively the same age as Jackson was and yet looked what happened there when given the chance. Of course he had Ruan inside him (excuse the obvious) and despite everything Cooney is no Ruan. For me a great addition to our side but still the 2nd best 9 in Connaught and the 4th best in Ireland.

As for Lowry I hope beyond hope that he will get his chance this year and dispel the line that I was recently fed that having committed to Burns the IRFU do not want to see Ulster change that situation before the RWC.

I thought Dundon's cameo on TV summed up his total lack of communication skills... along with a few others which explains some of the forward play. For the record I have bought into the 3-5 year plan as long as players get blooded and we move away from dependency on Leinster reserves and get back to a core of Ulster players if even a small core..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

222toHounslow wrote:Treadmill is poor
It’s Treadwater.

Normal service was resumed last night perhaps, although he’s probably due a rest tbf.

If he’d gathered that er grupper kick then we may have sneaked something.

Great nod down at the back stick for our first try.

I was alarmed to hear on commentary on Premier that one of theirs had “two Ulsterman hanging out of him”.

No doubt the citing commissioner will be taking a look at that.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

If Jackson could step up and cope with the pressure then so could Lowry. I've yet to see anything to suggest that any pressure would cause him problems.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Gary wrote:If Jackson could step up and cope with the pressure then so could Lowry. I've yet to see anything to suggest that any pressure would cause him problems.
Jackson got slated for years in Ireland after his Heineken final shambles and was constantly downplayed by many outside ulster. He may have coped over time but I reckon it significantly set back his international chances.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Gary wrote:If Jackson could step up and cope with the pressure then so could Lowry. I've yet to see anything to suggest that any pressure would cause him problems.
Heck if you watch him he looks to have a cooler head on his shoulders than Jackson did a few more years down the line.