Connacht v Ulster Fri Dec 28 7:35pm TV (Premier Sport 1, Eir

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bogbunny
Initiate

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri Dec 28 7:35pm TV (Premier Sport 1,

Post by Bogbunny »

TBF Lowry hasn't shown, or possibly hasn't had the chance to show that he is in Jackson 's league as an out half. Love to be wrong.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Seems like quite a few of you dropped your purses.
We lost the game, as expected. We know why and it’s gonna take a few years to fix. Tighten up Syrup is on offer in the sales.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lowry is an old fashioned running 10. The likes of which we haven't seen in Irish rugby for a long long time. Ideally he should be utilised off the bench as a game changer behind a solid 10. We don't have a solid 10 so let him start. He will make mistakes but he will learn quicker starting games at 10.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Bogbunny wrote:TBF Lowry hasn't shown, or possibly hasn't had the chance to show that he is in Jackson 's league as an out half. Love to be wrong.
He's much further down the line than Jackson was at his age.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lowry’s problem is one of size and style of player — the guy has close on a six stone deficit on most back row players . It isn’t school boy rugby he has to avoid them for 80 minutes they have only to hit tackle him once .

( And most likely it will be late and blind )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I have no idea if Lowry is the real deal at 10 or not, but until he is given a run of games in the position, no one will know.

I do think it is perhaps unfair to slate McPhillips, based on one start. I totally agree that he was poor, but it took a run of matches (forced on us) at the end of last season for us to build our hopes up that he might just make the grade. Unfortunately a run of games for him at this stage might just finish our season off earlier than we now hope for.

Unfortunately it takes a run of games for most young players and some older ones to build their confidence and performances, but at this stage of the season, it is a luxury we can ill afford.

What I have liked about Lowry is that like PJ, when he has played (at 15) and made mistakes, even the odd howler, he shakes it off and doesn't appear to let it get to him.

Both of them seem to have that self-confidence / arrogance, call it what you will, that any player needs if he is to make the grade. Too many players make a mistake, and it sets the tone for the rest of the match, and even subsequent matches because they seem to be afraid of making more mistakes.

Lowry and Jackson seem to have that ability to shake off mistakes (at least for the rest of the game - the review will come later), and still continue to play their natural game without fear.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

therealspratt wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:TBF Lowry hasn't shown, or possibly hasn't had the chance to show that he is in Jackson 's league as an out half. Love to be wrong.
He's much further down the line than Jackson was at his age.

How many games has Lowry played as an outhalf in the past 18 months to evidence this?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

McP seems to make an impact as a sub, when defences are maybe a bit more tired. He can do the unpredictable stuff, go for gaps and has more time.
He hasn't really had many opportunities to start matches at this level. And previously there was no real expectation either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

therealspratt wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:Treadmill is poor
Both 2nd rows weren't great in my eyes, don't know where this Nagle has dog thing is coming from. Some of Nagle's form in the scrum looked downright shocking
I'm not sure 'dog' in a player is measured through scrummaging technique. Nagle is a fairly average player but when you have players below average, he might be worth keeping.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:Treadmill is poor
Both 2nd rows weren't great in my eyes, don't know where this Nagle has dog thing is coming from. Some of Nagle's form in the scrum looked downright shocking
I'm not sure 'dog' in a player is measured through scrummaging technique. Nagle is a fairly average player but when you have players below average, he might be worth keeping.
Oh I should have separated the points better. He could be, but yeah just as a reflection of what little we have.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Dave could alter ego not answer for himself
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist