Bluenoses vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

promenader 2
Initiate

Re: Bluenoses vs Ulster

Post by promenader 2 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:I was disappointed to see so few Ulster fans in the crowd on Saturday.
There's usually a good number down for this fixture, regardless of how many reserves are playing for the two sides.
Maybe it's the sterling rate being affected by Brexit.
I used to go to Dublin regularly for these fixtures but haven't been for a few years now. I haven't travelled to any away matches for I think 3 years now for personal and health reasons but I had stopped going to RDS before I stopped going elsewhere.

I always enjoyed my trips to Thomond in Limerick, The Sports Ground in Galway and even Donkeybrook in Dublin. Great fans in all and enjoyed the atmosphere win, lose or draw at all three. That even despite being threatened with a knife in Thomond. Steriotypical, I know, but it did happen. It was Munster Supporters though who stepped in and literaly saved me from a probably hospital trip instead of a rugby match. Any reason not then to like Munster proper fans? No, I thought not. There are eejits who let the side down everywhere - including Ulster.

Sadly though, with increased success and the move to larger capacity at the RDS, Leinster now have far more of their fair share of what I can only call just nasty, ignorant, patronising, rude snide supporters who just suck all enjoyment out of any rugby match and any trip to Dublin. I have enjoyed banter and fun with supporters in Galway and Limerick, irrespective of the result of the match, so no one tell me I'm just a bad loser. I'll tell you, I've had plenty of practice and am actually a very good loser.

I used to get the same enjoyment at Donkeybrook (and yes,the fans there didn't mind the name change anymore that I minded what they said in return - there was mutual respect), and even in the early days at RDS, but by heaven have Leinster fans sucked all enjoyment out of any trip to Dublin now. The team and the losses have nothing to to with it, it is 100% down to the blue-shirts watching in the stadium, not the ones playing.

If that's harsh, tough. It is how I genuinely feel and how I felt I have been treated by the Leinster supporting public. There used to be good grace shown by supporters whether winning or losing, and most sets of supporters retain that, but Leinster ones have lost it some time ago.
It's not just in rugby:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 43998.html
Might be 'capital city syndrome' or maybe just success breeding a sense of superiority. Not pleasant whatever the cause.
Last edited by promenader 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

What the Captain said
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

promenader 2 wrote:Might be 'capital city syndrome'
Could be ... I forgot that Barnett was the capital of England.

TBF, I have only watched them at Twickers, but even they are not as bad as Leinster fans. They are aloof and unfriendly (mostly) but they're not nasty in my experience. Indeed their hard core fans, who travel to away matches * are, in my experience, very likeable people.

* Away matches defined as actually at the home ground of the opposition, not any match played more than 10 miles away from any particular Sarries' fan's home, as many of them seem unable to travel more than a few miles.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

222toHounslow wrote:What the Captain said
Have you been threatened in Limerick too? :shock:

:lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

What I should add to my previous though is that the stewards at RDS, Thomond and the Sports Ground are far more helpful, friendly and less obstructive than the Eventsec people we have in Ravenspan.

I was once asked politely to take down a fleg or banner (don't remember which) at RDS and given a reason why I should do so (I was covering an advert some company had paid for). I naturally complied with the request and as I started to put it away, he then asked me what I was doing? I told him as I wasn't allowed to display it, I was putting it away.

He then said I wasn't being stopped from displaying it, just not in that place. He then went to find me a prominent place where I could attach it if I still wanted, and then helped me do so.

Eventsec stewards (or most) would struggle with the polite part, let alone anything else. There are exceptions, of course.

I've also found the stewards at Murrayfield or indeed any of the Scottish ground far more helpful. English can be a mixed bunch.
I'm not arguing -
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

justinr73 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:With all the talk about McPhillips lying too deep.... I wonder does he simply rock up on a Saturday and play his own game or does he take instructions from the coaching staff.

Btw still not convinced Payne is a top defence coach maybe time will tell and anyway if players simply can’t tackle then they need to learn.
Persisting with Lowry at 15 is unlikely to do anyone any good, especially the boy himself.

That's the main problem with Lowry. He is a natural 10 - he is described as a 10 on the UR website - that's where he played on a succesful school team - that's where he'll play best. And that's the position he knows best and where he has learnt the game. I suspect he'd not take as many big hits at out-half, particularly as his speed and his natural talent should protect him better. And , as a bonus, I believe our success rate at scoring from inside the opposition 22 would go up. The guy has the ability and flair to send the opposing defence down the Cregagh Road while he touches down on the Ravenhill Road.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

promenader 2 wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
Dave wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
justinr73 wrote:The consensus in the Horse Show after the game was that the Leinster fans were marginally less smug and insincere than usual, largely based upon their favourable comments about our “youngsters”. Mind you, they appeared to be under the impression that Shanners was fresh out of 6th form :scratch:

The exile from Blackpool was particularly challenging but I confirmed that blue suited him more than tangerine.

Someone took great exception to the Ulster fleg at the final whistle.

Oh and the pitch was annexed by the the Catalans........
Heard about that. Seemed to be a few ballbegs in the North stand. sems to go with a full house.
Do tell...
So the game itself passed without incident, much as it did for the Leinster defence.

Upon the final whistle, the fleg was unfurled in the usual gesture of support for the lads on the pitch. Being a Lionel, I'm not an expert on these things but I understand it be the 'Ulster Banner' - the one with the crown on - and the same fleg which has travelled as many miles to watch UIster Rugby as Gusher has.

Despite the home fans doing their best to empty the RDS from about 70 minutes, there was still a queue to get out of the North Stand and a middle-aged Mr Angry started bellowing from towards the top of it.

I initially thought he was having a go at HWM who, to be fair, had been tolerated with a degree of amusement, and no little curiosity, prior to that.

It was pointed out to the fella that this was a rugby match we were all at and that seemed to be the end of it until he came along to introduce himself/debate the issue further/ cause a confrontation (or all of the above).

Needless to say, he was dealt with politely but firmly although his flame-haired offspring probably deserves a bit of credit for taking him home.

It was quite unsavoury without it ever really getting out of hand.
Mr Angry is obviously a bell-end. That said, I've yet to witness a Leinster fan waving a tricolour at Ravenhill. I suspect I'd be irritated if I did.
Bell-end of the first order, though inappropriate as they both are, I'd prefer a tricolour or a union fleg, to the Ulster Banner, which I hold in the same contempt that some have for the Confederate fleg.

:fleg:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:... which I hold in the same contempt that some have for the Confederate fleg.
I don't think I've ever seen a Confederate fleg or any of the Confederate alternatives that were devised, being flown anywhere to cause offence.

Or do you mean the Battle fleg of North Virginia or its elongated version which is mistakenly called the Confederate Fleg by many?
I'm not arguing -
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton...

Too many snowflakes enjoy being afronted by one fleg or another. Just ignore it.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

Tender wrote:Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton...

Too many snowflakes enjoy being afronted by one fleg or another. Just ignore it.
That is it in a nutshell Tender; Nu Puritanism and SJW guff is the ideal camouflage for the authoritarian.

The Inquisition and the Witch-Finder General re-tooled and re-purposed for the 21st century.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

GLENN CORNICK wrote:
Tender wrote:Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton...

That is it in a nutshell Tender; Nu Puritanism and SJW guff is the ideal camouflage for the authoritarian.

The Inquisition and the Witch-Finder General re-tooled and re-purposed for the 21st century.
Spoken like a true knob!
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

The exile from Blackpool was particularly challenging but I confirmed that blue suited him more than tangerine.

Heard about that. Seemed to be a few ballbegs in the North stand. sems to go with a full house.[/quote]Do tell...[/quote]

So the game itself passed without incident, much as it did for the Leinster defence.

Upon the final whistle, the fleg was unfurled in the usual gesture of support for the lads on the pitch. Being a Lionel, I'm not an expert on these things but I understand it be the 'Ulster Banner' - the one with the crown on - and the same fleg which has travelled as many miles to watch UIster Rugby as Gusher has.

Despite the home fans doing their best to empty the RDS from about 70 minutes, there was still a queue to get out of the North Stand and a middle-aged Mr Angry started bellowing from towards the top of it.

I initially thought he was having a go at HWM who, to be fair, had been tolerated with a degree of amusement, and no little curiosity, prior to that.

It was pointed out to the fella that this was a rugby match we were all at and that seemed to be the end of it until he came along to introduce himself/debate the issue further/ cause a confrontation (or all of the above).

Needless to say, he was dealt with politely but firmly although his flame-haired offspring probably deserves a bit of credit for taking him home.

It was quite unsavoury without it ever really getting out of hand.[/quote]
Mr Angry is obviously a bell-end. That said, I've yet to witness a Leinster fan waving a tricolour at Ravenhill. I suspect I'd be irritated if I did.[/quote]
Bell-end of the first order, though inappropriate as they both are, I'd prefer a tricolour or a union fleg, to the Ulster Banner, which I hold in the same contempt that some have for the Confederate fleg.

:fleg:[/quote]

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... eld416.jpg

We just hated waving them flegs. Thank the Lord We are better educated now >flog
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bottom line is, most of us are Norm. That's why they're like hen's teeth these days. It's representative of a failed sectarian state, nothing else.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

big mervyn wrote:Bottom line is, most of us are Norm. That's why they're like hen's teeth these days. It's representative of a failed sectarian state, nothing else.
And yet the union flag is preferable ? Considering some of the worldwide ructions caused by those who have flown it I find that odd. Every flag embodies a soiled history to those the nation state has oppressed .If flown for the right reasons no flag should give offence although I would draw the line at the swastika myself
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Snowflake city. It's red and white and has a red hand on it what's the problem considering it matches our teams colours and badge.