Ulster Vs Racing 92 Sat 12th Jan @ 3.15pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Vs Racing 92 Sat 12th Jan @ 3.15pm BT Sport 3

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Fair fecks to the lads for trying to push tickets at the same time!

Not sure what I would say if my employer asked me to advertise our business on my social media account!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Heard the volunteer physio was getting a touch for a few in the memorial stand.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Fair fecks to the lads for trying to push tickets at the same time!

Not sure what I would say if my employer asked me to advertise our business on my social media account!
You're not famous enough.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dan Touhy does not think we can do it.

Thanks Dan.

FODT

https://audioboom.com/posts/7136731-dan ... nXiP9WYsiA
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Im going to this match... And not with my kids. This is a first for a year or two. Beer and hopefully a decent match... But at least there's beer

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:Dan Touhy does not think we can do it.

Thanks Dan.

FODT

Ah now come on play nice, he's 100% sure we can!

Did Dan ever lose at home to French opposition? He should know we love gutting frogs at Ravenhill.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

Thanks Dan.

FODT

Did Dan ever lose at home to French opposition? He should know we love gutting frogs at Ravenhill.
Right at the end he says we are going to lose.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

Thanks Dan.

FODT

Nah, I listened to it in its entirety. Dans still an Ulsterman!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

Thanks Dan.

FODT

Nah, I listened to it in its entirety. Dans still an Ulsterman!
He's probably right but he could at least pretend.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:He's probably right but he could at least pretend.
True, I'd still give Dan a game ahead of Treadwell.... goes without saying!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

https://www.the42.ie/john-cooney-dan-mc ... 9-Jan2019/
McFarland taking leaf from Schmidt's attention to detail to raise Ulster standards

THESE DAYS IN rugby, going into games with only a notion of what the opposition will bring is a thing of the past.

Teams are analysed to the nth degree, every play dissected and broken down into its individual components, with game strategies and tactical analysis done based around the video review.

By the time both sides take to the pitch at the weekend, there are no secrets between them. Everything is in the open. But for Ulster this season, head coach Dan McFarland has even taken that a step further than they’d done previously.

The Englishman has come in with his own style, his own systems and now his own approach on video review on a Monday morning, which has seen the team go even more in-depth than usual.

Already McFarland has received a reputation as being a coach with an attention to detail, somebody who has a tendency to break down every play harking back to his time with Connacht and Glasgow.

That has driven standards within the northern province which sees them this week looking to potentially secure a place in the knockouts of the Heineken Champions Cup and in the mix in a tight Conference B in the Guinness PRO14.

“It’s more that it trickles back from Ireland as well,” says scrum-half John Cooney, an integral part of McFarland’s system with Ulster and now regular call-up in Joe Schmidt’s national squads.

“As more and more individuals go off with them I think they get a taste for that and they bring that back, whereas after November going so well I think a few of the Irish players sat down and said ‘this is what we need to bring back to Ulster’.

“It’s no coincidence that Ireland are up there as two in the world and with Dan, Dan loves that and he’s close to Joe and talks to him a lot. He is mad into attention to detail and as in the leadership group, or the older lads, if you’re seen not to know what you’re meant to do, he will have a go at you.

“So it’s important people are seen to be doing the work they’re doing. Same with the young players, it’s trickling through the whole squad now.”

Ahead of this weekend it perhaps won’t be quite so pertinent with Ulster fairly familiar with Saturday’s opponents Racing 92, in particular two of their more prominent stars in that back line. But for Cooney, the delight hasn’t been in the preparation but instead with the amount of buy-in from the squad.

“You nearly know what step people have, left or right, what side they kick-off, and we have those snippets all in our computers at the moment,” adds Cooney.

“So it is important when you get to the game in that Finn Russell might dummy late, stuff like that. Even the people running the second team (know), so they even understand.

“I noticed that Johnny Stewart was looking at computers at what Antonie Claassen does for them, so it’s a huge squad effort. It’s great to see people that might not be picked week-in, week-out, looking at all their players. That is pretty good to see.”

It’s been a staple of Ulster’s success this season. As they head into the next two games which will define their European fate, there’s both a familiarity and a fresh feeling.

Like last year, when they defeated La Rochelle in Belfast and then lost to Wasps in Coventry to end their European involvement, they came into the two games off the back of losses to Connacht and Leinster.

Similarly, this year they come into the doubleheader with Racing and the Leicester Tigers off those back-to-back interpro losses. But, unlike last year, the mood is fairly positive.

Young players, such as Rob Lyttle, James Hume, Matty Dalton and Greg Jones, all got their chances as the rebuild of the Ulster squad continues, and while the European standings aren’t too far off last year, this time around their chances seem much more realistic.

And this week, with Kyle McCall, Angus Kernohan and Mike Lowry added to the injury list, it’ll take another full squad effort to down the French giants.

“It’s hugely important for us as we’ve been targeting this game for the last few weeks and we understand the importance of this game at home,” says Cooney, who didn’t feature in last week’s defeat to Leinster.

“Where we are sitting in this group is hugely important and we know we always seem to get these big performances at home. Last season against La Rochelle we had a huge performance against a big pack, and it will be pretty similar to this game this year.

“We had those two big back-to-back games with Scarlets where we picked up those 10 points and that was hugely important for us. It gave us that momentum we needed to put it back in our own hands.

“It’s a position you want to be in. We would love a home quarter-final so we have to try and get this win in this game, and whatever happens, happens.”

And the key to victory at the weekend? According to Cooney, it’s sticking to the plan that they’ve had throughout this season, which he insists will get them over the line.

“I think it is where we have a bit of an opportunity, because it’s easier said than done where a lot of teams think that if they move these big French teams around that they’re going to dominate them and win,” says the 28-year-old.

“A lot of the time that doesn’t work because either they don’t stick to the game-plan or they get a bit of a shock at how good some of these French teams are.

“I think it’s important we look after the ball and we don’t let them get those turnover opportunities. That’s where you grind them down, whereas if some teams assume that once they move the ball to the width they’re going to beat these French teams.

“I think it’s important we implement our game-plan and stick to it.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:He's probably right but he could at least pretend.
True, I'd still give Dan a game ahead of Treadwell.... goes without saying!
Agreed.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

You don’t find Hookers in Ollies just a slut in self denial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For the morons who belittle Threadwell he is seldom turnover and seldom gives penalties .

Better a second row who retains possession than one who loses contact with his support - loses possession or gives away penalties — thank you .

Yards look good but more important is possession .

Penalties put you in your red zone without possession.

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

If Munster win both their last two matches does it mean Ulster only need 1point to qualify for Quarter finals?

The King is dead. Long live the King.