Leicester away

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Leicester away

Post by therealspratt »

Dave wrote:DC is great a pundit. He speaks very well and has excellent knowledge of the game. They seem to give punditry gigs to big name players. Admittedly even big 1F is a woeful pundit.
He's great, better than certain most Ulster players who have been doing it for years.

Wonder what his plan is? You would think that if he wanted to get into coaching then he would have gotten a bit more involved at club level.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:Cave i suspect is nursing latent injuries and is basically a break glass option
If the injuries are latent, how does he know to nurse them? :roll:

He's also better than break-glass. Addison has moved past him and his best may be behind him, but he rarely let's anyone down. His brain still works and that is a massive asset in rugby.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I hope he stays another year.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:I hope he stays another year.
There have been some players you'd suspect of being happy just to hang around, pick up the pay cheque and generally add little value for money. I think we have said goodbye to most, if not all of those. DC is nowhere near that category. I too would be happy to see him retained for another year if he's prepared to do it.

I think his value is more than what we see on the pitch which, time-wise, TBH these days is limited, but you know that he will bust a gut for the :red: if and when called upon, and he provides an excellent role model to the younger guys coming through.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:I hope he stays another year.
There have been some players you'd suspect of being happy just to hang around, pick up the pay cheque and generally add little value for money. I think we have said goodbye to most, if not all of those. DC is nowhere near that category. I too would be happy to see him retained for another year if he's prepared to do it.

I think his value is more than what we see on the pitch which, time-wise, TBH these days is limited, but you know that he will bust a gut for the :red: if and when called upon, and he provides an excellent role model to the younger guys coming through.
+100
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If I'm not mistaken he is also very near Trimbles record of appearances.
There used to be a photo of him on here as a wee lad with a fleg at the 99 semi-final against Stade if I remember right.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:If I'm not mistaken he is also very near Trimbles record of appearances.
There used to be a photo of him on here as a wee lad with a fleg at the 99 semi-final against Stade if I remember right.
He also has to stay ahead of Rory.

Trimbie 229
Roger Wilson 221
Cave 219
Rory 218
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cave has all the ingredients to be a good pundit. He is articulate, knowledgeable, witty and unlike the vast majority if ithers, not afraid to soeak his mind, even if what comes out may not be universally popular. There was obviously the pop at Jo Schmidt some years ago when he said his face didn’t fit in terms of ireland selection but also, his statements kast year. Where he said the IRFU had been proved correct to get rid of Ruan to get John Cooney at Ulster. Now whilst i didn’t agree with Cave in that, fair play to him for speaking his mind, knowing that it was an emotive subject in Ulster.

Most current/immediate ex players are loathe to say negaitive things about current or former team mates, but I think Cave will be ine who would do so.

I am not convinced about giving him another year though, particular if Hume keeps developing ths season. We could easily end up in a situation where Cave is seen on the tv more than the pitch and Ulster paying for this. If money is as tight as some say (and I imagine Cave is in decent money) then i certainly don’t think it is a given that he should get another year. Nobody should be seriously combining media and playing (unless long term injured) and if Cave is enjoying the media work and there is the promise of more to come then maybe he’ll choose that option anyway.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Much as I would like to see Hume getting more and more game time - and I think that will happen - we also have to factor in that Will Addison's face does fit and he will be at Camp Joe on numerous occasions, so with a RWC looming, his game time might be severely limited.

Still room for DC for another year imo. He's also smart enough to know his contract value will be dropping - the question is, does DC want to do another year, and would he accept a contract at (presumably) a lower remuneration? Maybe the punditry can make up the difference in dosh for him.
I'm not arguing -
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Looks like cave caught a fish....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 0?mode=amp

What a sad man.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jean valjean wrote:Looks like cave caught a fish....

What a sad man.

Hook line and sinker ImageImageImage
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

jean valjean wrote:Looks like cave caught a fish....

What a sad man.

Who does Gavin think he is? For a start he thinks Carvery has filled ROGs shoes? Lolz

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

What a load of crap.

I did as the author suggested just re-read the original article. It was muck and still looks like muck. Sweeney was pouring flames on an already volatile sotuation and then had the nerve or arrogance to be telling Ulster to calm down and behave.

And he tells Jo he needn’t worry about jonny sexton as Carberry is ready to take over because he has kicked 20/20. His game was apparently shaky, but hey that’s fine as long as he kicks his goals.

I am not knocking Carbery but he has a way to go in terms of consistently performing in big games before he can considered to be at ROG’s level. The idea that his game management at 10 is on a par with Sexton’s is well...... :scratch:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

“Long term, I’d love to win a World Cup and be the best player in the world. It’s a huge ask but if I can keep getting better, who knows where I can get to.” Carbery told the NZ Herald.

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Anyone who describes a social media pronouncement (rather than things like food, water, medicine, shelter etc) as "important" needs to go and catch a grip.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.