Ulster Vs Benetton Fri 25th @ 7.35pm Live Freesports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster Vs Benetton Fri 25th @ 7.35pm Live Freesports

Post by Tender »

Christian Leafyfanny hasn’t signed his new contract...
Speight is also looking for options, but we need a Christian (Not like Slogan), more than we need a Henry.
Just thought I’d mention it like...
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Think I’d rather see NIQ spots going on a beast of a Afoa type prop, leadership second row muller type, and a hard as nails bar steward P3 back row before we spend more money on backs. I reckon if we have a Cnut of a going forward pack, the backs we have and young pups coming through will do fine. Can never forget the most simple law of the game: forwards win the game, backs determine by how much. Even the full Irish back line couldn’t win shyte behind our pack especially when one or two starters aren’t playing.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

UlsterNo9 wrote:According to the stats

Stockdale
Versus Racing made 5 tackles and had 6 missed tackles
Versus Leicester made 1 tackle and had 3 missed tackles

Addison
Versus Racing made 10 tackles and had 5 missed tackles
Versus Leicester made 5 tackles and had 3 missed tackles
Who says I rate either of those two defensively?

Stockdale is very weak on his inside shoulder - maybe a facet of being so big relative to most other wingers - he's slower to get his feet moving in reaction to someone else. Addison drops off a shocking number of tackles when he's stretched - he could probably do with watching how wee Lowry always gets a good hold of the foot.

But both of them bring an awful lot to our game with the ball, so justify the selection on that basis.

Burns is a brad pitt defender. Trying to defend him by drawing comparison with two other pretty weak defenders does not aid his cause.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

big mervyn wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:I can't even touch my index fingers together with one eye closed, so how Ian Mackinley is able to play at all let alone score conversions like he did last night is incredible to me.
Me too and how do you judge depth and distance for catches without binocular vision? Doesn't shy away from a fight either :thumleft: Fair play to him >appl
He has 70% vision in his damaged eye He needs to protect his eyes but he probably has as good vision as plenty of others.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Amiga500 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:According to the stats

Stockdale
Versus Racing made 5 tackles and had 6 missed tackles
Versus Leicester made 1 tackle and had 3 missed tackles

Addison
Versus Racing made 10 tackles and had 5 missed tackles
Versus Leicester made 5 tackles and had 3 missed tackles
Who says I rate either of those two defensively?

Stockdale is very weak on his inside shoulder - maybe a facet of being so big relative to most other wingers - he's slower to get his feet moving in reaction to someone else. Addison drops off a shocking number of tackles when he's stretched - he could probably do with watching how wee Lowry always gets a good hold of the foot.

But both of them bring an awful lot to our game with the ball, so justify the selection on that basis.

Burns is a brad pitt defender. Trying to defend him by drawing comparison with two other pretty weak defenders does not aid his cause.
The stats are coded defensive contacts not out and out missed tackles, the players aim in our system is to push / force the attacking player into an area where we have high defending numbers. Where tackling is easier in smaller spaces, makes offloading more difficult due to a higher number of players and also means potentially more opportunity to isolate the attacker and pinch ball.

The stats (tackles made/missed tackles) in isolation aren't an indication of how poor a defender someone is.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jihad out
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rem99
Initiate

Post by Rem99 »

Dave wrote:Jihad out
227 Got it covered mate!!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lazy git
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Defending and tackling is the job of the back row-- provided the backline ensure ball carriers are steered to towards the touch and space is limited to enable others to tackle they have done their job.

For so many missed tackles not to many trys have been scored. Sometimes it is tactical to let a player run or proceed a few yards further in the hope he becomes isolated or to provide an opportunity to try and regain possession.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

rumncoke wrote:Defending and tackling is the job of the back row-- provided the backline ensure ball carriers are steered to towards the touch and space is limited to enable others to tackle they have done their job.

For so many missed tackles not to many trys have been scored. Sometimes it is tactical to let a player run or proceed a few yards further in the hope he becomes isolated or to provide an opportunity to try and regain possession.
At last someone on here speaks a language I understand.
Thank you Mr Yeow ho ho and a bottle of