Darren Cave

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Darren Cave

Post by big mervyn »

GUBU wrote:Will be missed for his leadership and commitment to the cause - his sheer Ulsterness.

Sad that Darren's late Ulster career was marred by the Curse of Kiss, though he deserves credit for recognizing that Les was pish at coaching several years before the rest of us got to find that out the hard way.
Unfortunate that the blinkered wee scrote probably cost Darren an Ulster appearance record.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gutted, a real Ulster legend and one of the good guys.

Kiss was a prat and sadly he was under valued at International level. He showed what he does last weekend and I've heard plenty of Leinster fans singing his praises and saying that's the best game they've seen from him. It was a great performance but it's what we expect from him. Wears his heart on his sleeve, he's been through a lot over the past couple of years and I wish him well. Would be nice if he retired with a Pro14 medal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote:Gutted, a real Ulster legend and one of the good guys.

Kiss was a prat and sadly he was under valued at International level. He showed what he does last weekend and I've heard plenty of Leinster fans singing his praises and saying that's the best game they've seen from him. It was a great performance but it's what we expect from him. Wears his heart on his sleeve, he's been through a lot over the past couple of years and I wish him well. Would be nice if he retired with a Pro14 medal.

The ridiculous Jared Payne at 13 dictat from D4 really f*cked Cave (and Ulster) over when he was in his prime. Testament to his loyalty that he stayed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Darren Cave

Post by rumncoke »

He suffer from a case of too much honesty possibly and paid the price .

His card was marked before D4 said Payne at 13 .

Latterly at Ulster he was a man with too many injuries and suspect endurance — ( can he play more 50 mins before he’s injured )— May be too brittle for selection .

But he was the second best timer of a pass in 6 nations for years .

A well earned retirement he pay more than his dues for years

With Hume Addison McCloskey and Marshall and maybe a few in the closet his game time may have been reduced to much to justify a contract and possibly he would deny others the opportunity to gain experience if he played from the bench weekly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rumncoke on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Not a fan, Rum?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Very much a fan but a realist

Sometimes - the truth is an expensive commodity to those state it .

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote:He suffer from a case of too much honesty possibly and paid the price .

His card was marked before D4 said Payne at 13 .

Latterly at Ulster he was a man with too many injuries and suspect endurance — ( can he play more 50 mins before he’s injured )— May be too brittle for selection .

But he was the second best timer of a pass in 6 nations for years .

A well earned retirement he pay more than his dues for years

With Hume Addison McCloskey and Marshall and maybe a few in the closet his game time may have been reduced to much to justify a contract and possibly he would deny others the opportunity to gain experience if he played from the bench weekly

The law of averages would suggest there must be one or two at least.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rum looks as if he is trying so hard to use full stops but then just gives up.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I have Rum blocked but, what the hell is he spoofing about. Was DCs injury profile any worse than average?

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote:I have Rum blocked but, what the hell is he spoofing about. Was DCs injury profile any worse than average?

Struggles with a wet ball.
Big Neville Southall
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I know that there are times that hard decisions need to be made, but I think it's a shame that it's come to this and that he will be sorely missed.

I've always thought of Cave as a poor mans Conrad Smith and I mean that in the most positive way possible (given Smith was arguably the best centre in the world for a while). He never did anything too flashy and other players would have highlight reels that would put his to shame, but he more than made up for it with his intelligence. He's the sort of player who makes those around him look better, be it by running intelligent lines and creating space in attack or calling the shots in defense. One thing I've always noticed about him is how often inexperienced players in the team look to him for guidance.

Ringrose for my money is one of the best centres in the home nations at the minute, but the only things I remember him doing on Saturday are getting charged down and knocking the ball on. Some would say he had a bad game, but I think a much bigger factor is that Cave never gave him room to breathe.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

One of the best defensive 13s of his generation, and an Ulster great.
..one more thing
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

I think we should have given him at least one more season ... he was brilliant last Saturday and is a model professional and a true to the core Ulster man :red:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Possibly the Insurance premium was as much as his salary and maybe more if you divided it by number of minutes he might be expected to play -- he also suffers because he may be seen as a one trick pony a --12--or --13 centre whereas Ludic can play across the back line 12--15.

His injury profile may not be as bad as some but it might be the nature of the injuries which scares the insurance company.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Actually, Rum, for a pro centre, his injury profile is extremely good in comparison to his peers.
Also, his scoring record speaks for itself - 45 tries in 225 appearances. Only Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy are above him. In terms of try assists (giving the scoring pass), he is easily the best in the pro era.After BOD, he was the best outside centre in Ireland by some distance, for about a decade. as others have said, he will go down as a loyal Ulsterman and a legend of Ulster rugby.
Bo***cks to Brexit